www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Analog & Digital IO Device Plug-ins > Analog & Digital IO Discussion > Arduino Plugin (3P)

Arduino Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the Arduion plugin for HS3 by enigmatheatre

Old March 19th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Seer Plus

Security?

When using Ethernet-mode, how is the communication between the Arduinos and the plugin secured? Thinking about both authentication and "commands" it receives/sends.
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoRaC View Post
When using Ethernet-mode, how is the communication between the Arduinos and the plugin secured? Thinking about both authentication and "commands" it receives/sends.
There is no security. If there is a concern, put the HS box and Arduinos on a private v-lan...You can run wireshark and watch the commands from any PC that is connected to a port that can mirror to the HS switch port. The handshaking is straight forward when you watch it, equally you can look at the INO source code before compiling and you can see how it interacts with HS.

Pete
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
There is no security. If there is a concern, put the HS box and Arduinos on a private v-lan...You can run wireshark and watch the commands from any PC that is connected to a port that can mirror to the HS switch port. The handshaking is straight forward when you watch it, equally you can look at the INO source code before compiling and you can see how it interacts with HS.

Pete

Thanks! That probably made the decision for me, to not buy the plugin.

If any device that is on the same network as the Arduino can send commands to the Arduino or send false statuses to Homeseer as if it was the Arduino, then that just isn't good enough for me...
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:57 AM
OverSeer

Quote:

If any device that is on the same network as the Arduino can send commands to the Arduino or send false statuses to Homeseer as if it was the Arduino, then that just isn't good enough for me...
This would also be true for a Z-Net, Raspberry Pi, Ethernet to USB, Ethernet to serial, OWServer, GCIR, etc. I don't know of a single Ethernet connected device used with home automation that employs secure communications. I suppose the communications could be encrypted, but that might be a lot of overhead for an Arduino. I'm quite comfortable with my home network's isolation from the WAN with a separate firewall appliance. There are so many devices connected to my LAN, not just HomeSeer related, that can only rely on that isolation for security.

To be quite honest, I can't see someone with nefarious intent a) having access to my LAN or b) understanding the actual pin layout and functions of my Arduinos to the extent needed to do any harm.

Are you sharing your local network with other people?

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - WeatherXML - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old March 19th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

If you need security then you should select a product that uses secure authentication ie: PGP and encrypted packets. The Arduino doesn't really have the power to do this on the fly. Buy a dedicated solution like the ELK M1G, it uses a proprietary RS485 bus and that has crypto..

Again if you are so concerned with packets being intercepted, lock the mac address down on the switch port and put your automation onto a seperate VLAN. Best security is an airgap, mixing devices on a network will never be secure. This beats any crypto if the network cant be gotten to

If you are truly concerned about security then you know your way around wireshark and would be sniffing the packets to assess the security.
Old March 20th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
This would also be true for a Z-Net, Raspberry Pi, Ethernet to USB, Ethernet to serial, OWServer, GCIR, etc. I don't know of a single Ethernet connected device used with home automation that employs secure communications.
I hear you and I think that's a fundamental problem in the IoT-world. Security is at the bottom of the feature list... I bet Mirai also thought that using the same password on all their products wouldn't be a problem - after all, the device will be connected to a customers LAN, where all is safe...

Quote:
I suppose the communications could be encrypted, but that might be a lot of overhead for an Arduino.
That's what I ended up doing. TLS and authentication against JSON-interface of HS (a TLS-proxy between, as HS isn't exactly good at encryption either). Working great!

Quote:
I'm quite comfortable with my home network's isolation from the WAN with a separate firewall appliance. There are so many devices connected to my LAN, not just HomeSeer related, that can only rely on that isolation for security.
Same here - separate VLAN for all IoT-devices, separated from other parts of the network and limited access to WAN.

Quote:
To be quite honest, I can't see someone with nefarious intent a) having access to my LAN or b) understanding the actual pin layout and functions of my Arduinos to the extent needed to do any harm.
How do you define "access to your LAN"? If you mean sitting on the outside on a laptop, I agree. But what about your wifi doorbell? Wifi weatherstation? Wifi thermostat? Etc? We have no control of the security level of such devices. Maybe the doorbell could just send packets to the Arduino after seeing what packets HS sends to it?

Quote:
Are you sharing your local network with other people?
Yes. Logitech, Nexmo, Fitbit, Canal Digital - just from the top of my head...
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Seer Plus

Quote:
If you need security then you should select a product that uses secure authentication ie: PGP and encrypted packets. The Arduino doesn't really have the power to do this on the fly. Buy a dedicated solution like the ELK M1G, it uses a proprietary RS485 bus and that has crypto..
Ended up using TLS and authentication.

Quote:
Again if you are so concerned with packets being intercepted, lock the mac address down on the switch port and put your automation onto a seperate VLAN. Best security is an airgap, mixing devices on a network will never be secure. This beats any crypto if the network cant be gotten to
I'm using wifi. All IoT in a separate VLAN already.

Quote:
If you are truly concerned about security then you know your way around wireshark and would be sniffing the packets to assess the security.
Yeah, but that doesn't reveal how the plugin handles "invalid" data. Could I just pass along any command I want and the plugin will process it? Etc. And asking is a lot easier than sniffing and analyzing.
Old March 20th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Ended up using TLS and authentication.

I'm using wifi. All IoT in a separate VLAN already.

Yeah, but that doesn't reveal how the plugin handles "invalid" data. Could I just pass along any command I want and the plugin will process it? Etc. And asking is a lot easier than sniffing and analyzing.
Greig will have to answer the question of command set. Good luck and hope youbuse yhe plugin as it s great.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk