Rain8Net or EZFlora or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8Net or EZFlora or other?

I am currently in the midst of setting up a sprinkler system. The property is about 2 acres, thus plan to have several zones.

I can't seem to decide what type of system to get? Is one better than the other? What do most of you all use?

Re: Rain8Net or EZFlora or other?

I can vouch for the ezflora. I have 2. Very dependable.

If you are an insteon user, its a great, reliable addition to your network. Insteon signals can make it 'way out there' over the powerline if your valve wiring terminations are remote in the yard.

There is a gottcha that if you have a mastervalve, that takes one zone from the 8 zones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
      I can vouch for the ezflora. I have 2. Very dependable.

If you are an insteon user, its a great, reliable addition to your network. Insteon signals can make it 'way out there' over the powerline if your valve wiring terminations are remote in the yard.

There is a gottcha that if you have a mastervalve, that takes one zone from the 8 zones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      So what would be a perfect solution for a zwave user?
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I use rain8+ x 2 connected to a Itach IP2SL, then an eithernet over powerline adaptor from my pool shed back to the house - some 70 feet away from my house.
        Works just fine....

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          I use rain8+ x 2 connected to a Itach IP2SL, then an eithernet over powerline adaptor f
          So the rain8 has a serial connection that convert to rj 45 connection ? Then what?
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I meant to say I have a rain8net+ which has rs232. It's cabled to the Itach IP2SL which in turn is connected to a eithernet over powerline converter.

Rob
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'm using an OpenSprinkler from http://rayshobby.net with one expansion module. It's a very simple valve controller that uses Ethernet. You can use it with my free BeakerRain plugin (found on the forum).

HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Etherrain has been a reliable product that is also uses a direct IP connection. The fewer things you have beetween your point of control and your valve will resutl in the fewest number of things that can go wrong.

Comment

I have two Rain8net's connected via a serial link. A lightning strike took them both out about 2 years ago after running maybe 10 years. New one's have been fine.

I also moved the control to a small arm CPU running mcsSprinklers about a year ago. The controllers and CPU all fit inside of the originally installed Rainbird box. The application can be running on its own or managed by Homeseer these days.

Attached is a snapshot of the touch screen interface to the application.
                  Attached Files
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have the etherrain running with mcsprinklers...works great!
                    As already said, its ethernet connected. I have a master valve which the etherrain supports, and currently run 5 zones.
                    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Here I tried to make it plugnplay with the installation of a touchscreen next to the Rainbird box (WAF stuff - years ago now).

Actually today I can integrate the touscreen to the cover of the rainbird box with little effort; which though will make it totally a self contained small footprint setup. As a DIY you could also do this with say a 4" Android touch tablet running just HSTouch in "sprinkler mode" attached or integrated into the cover of the rainbird box.

New spring project! I already have a network and serial connection going to the inside of the rainbird box. I also have tested a directly connected Mimo USB monitor to the Seagate Dockstar ARM CPU (if I want to go to that direction). (most difficult piece was x windows and drivers for the video - done though and easy).

First need to buy another Rainbird box cover to test this; just plastic and easy to cut.

Attached is an overview of the "garage" projects and said related updates to sprinkler control. I included the sink because personally that was the most difficult part of this endeavor as I am not a plumber and learn the art of sweating copper pipes while doing this. It roughly about 10 years of pictures.

Started here with a Rainbird dealer installing the Rainbird ESP system for 10 zones. I did also purchase the wireless Rainbird remote system with keypads. Afterwards I replaced the entire Rainbird ESP system with the WGL Rain8Net system with a serial wire running to Homeseer in the basement server room. The solenoid sprinkler manifold wiring actually is a pretty long run going from one side of the basement to the other side and out and down the side of the house underground until it get to the sprinkler box with the manifolds. That said though I have left the old Rainbird rain sensor in place and have it connected to a DS10A. I don't really utilize it too much though. The little box with the LED's you see is a POE networked wireless AP/firewall with ethernet connectivity. It is of the type utilized in hotel rooms these days(?). Very tiny and smaller than the gange box that it is in. (another gadget that I played with a few years back).

It stayed like this until a couple of years ago when I decided to install cabinets, sink and means of holding the sink up.

I then added and redid the Rainbird "box" cabling.

I did also add a water meter for the sprinkler feed and next thinking of an electronic shut off valve. I would also still leave in place the mechanical water value for the sprinkler system. I found that the Digital rain guage works best for the on and off "rain" sensor and used it this past summer in that fashion.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pete; February 24, 2013, 02:06 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X