No announcement yet.

CO/Smoke Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow... super handy to read this thread as it got me thinking... funny that no one every gives you a manual to home ownership :-)

So in my (new-then) house 20 years.... still running the same interconnected system with FireX smoke detectors (now Kiddie) I see. And sadly we removed the kitchen one years ago because it kept going off when cooking (even with super strong vent above stove).

Sadly seeing that detectors should be replaced every 10 years... so that plus my kitchen situation, coupled with this thread, is pushing me to act :-)

Fairly large house... around 10 detectors. I'd like to stay interconnected, so if I sell, the new owners don't have to worry/wonder about zwave.

So what would you all recommend. Just a decent new Kiddie version using interconnect, then @timon idea on how to connect to HS?

thanks!

Comment

Once you go to new units there is a simple way to connect one of the detectors (since they are all interconnected) to HS. I mentioned a device in post #14 on how you can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        Once you go to new units there is a simple way to connect one of the detectors (since they are all interconnected) to HS. I mentioned a device in post #14 on how you can do this.
        Saw that..... guess makes more sense than Timon' version as it basically does the same thing.

So, near as I can tell, no way to go all zwave (if I could afford it) and still also use interconnect?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
          Saw that..... guess makes more sense than Timon' version as it basically does the same thing.

So, near as I can tell, no way to go all zwave (if I could afford it) and still also use interconnect?
          As I have seen other people mention as well I have not seen a z-wave smoke/co detector that was 120v and/or interconnect.

Comment

Since HS isn’t a certified Fire and security alarm I don’t want to run HS to trigger alarms. Bu using a Kidde UL approved interface I can monitor both smoke and fire without any worry that something will interfere with them. Being able to tell the difference between s monk and CO is also handy.
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

That is one of the things that I liked about the FireFighter device. It detects the different sounds that the smoke/co detector puts out for each situation, that being smoke or co, and reports them as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                Fairly large house... around 10 detectors. I'd like to stay interconnected, so if I sell, the new owners don't have to worry/wonder about zwave.

So what would you all recommend. Just a decent new Kiddie version using interconnect, then @timon idea on how to connect to HS?
                I recently added a Kiddie SM-120x relay to my Kiddie interconnected smoke detector in the basement. It was the end unit. I connected a z-wave door/window sensor that allows connecting 2 wires to the z-wave sensor and the SM-120x relay. I can't remember if I used the NC or NO wires on the relay.

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/...evices/sm120x/
                Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                Number of Devices: 633
                Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

THanks everyone. Looks like my first step is to get some new detectors

Comment

Hey, one more question on the first alert z wave version...

Is there a way to hush false alarms from HS3? I have a unit in the kitchen that went off so often I just pulled it down for good....obviously not the best solution.

When cooking, could I create a virtual device that could hush the detector foe xxx minutes?

Also, I couldn't tell from the posts. Do these talk to each other wirelessly like an interconnected system, or do you need tor write an event for that?

Comment

Is there a way to hush false alarms from HS3? I have a unit in the kitchen that went off so often I just pulled it down for good...
                      Then it wasn't a false alarm. You should relocate the detector or get a new chef.

The detector cannot be controlled except for manually pushing the button on the unit itself. It only reports to HS3 and does not take commands.

I tried linking one device to another and I could not make a second device react to the first one.

FWIW, I instantly received a text message stating the status of the five alarms I have. The MBR one showed "TEST" instead of "Alarm Heartbeat", so if I'm not home and I get an alarm, I know why I'm getting the alarm.

Comment

interesting timing on this review:
                        https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/01/...t-smoke-alarm/

Roost came out several years ago to some brutal reviews. Anybody play with them since?

Comment

the first alert z wave units came on sale today at Amazon for $33. i'm going try two, in addition to my current interconnected setup.

one up, one downstairs. was thinking about creating an even that if there was a fire, it triggered my security system.

Comment

Can someone explain the 'heartbeat' notice? what would I use this for?

Comment

The "Heartbeat Acknowledged" is broadcast about every 65 minutes. So you could write an event that sends you an alert if the message is not received. You don't poll the smoke detector, it wakes itself every 65 minutes and says HI!

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                                The "Heartbeat Acknowledged" is broadcast about every 65 minutes. So you could write an event that sends you an alert if the message is not received. You don't poll the smoke detector, it wakes itself every 65 minutes and says HI!
                                OK... thanks.

but maybe i'm an idiot here... buy why would i do this? just to make sure it's working?

Comment

Working...
                                X