Newbie Starting and Learning From Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Starting and Learning From Scratch

I just installed the PI and I'm not sure which way to go. I have a SolarEdge inverter that communicates via Zigbee to the SolarEdge portal. I want to capture the real time data and import what is useful to me into HS3, hopefully.

I was pointed to this information but I wonder if it's as simple as running ETH instead of using the zigbee connection, then configure so the ETH so I can read with MODBUS PI and also send data to the portal.

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...1&d=1513506067

Where do I start? Can I use ETH or do I have to use RS485 and if so to what? Or can I just utilize the existing gateway. It is zigbee from the inverter to the gateway and then RJ45 to the router.

Thanks in advance for the hand holding.

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I just installed the PI and I'm not sure which way to go. I have a SolarEdge inverter that communicates via Zigbee to the SolarEdge portal. I want to capture the real time data and import what is useful to me into HS3, hopefully.

I was pointed to this information but I wonder if it's as simple as running ETH instead of using the zigbee connection, then configure so the ETH so I can read with MODBUS PI and also send data to the portal.

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...1&d=1513506067

Where do I start? Can I use ETH or do I have to use RS485 and if so to what? Or can I just utilize the existing gateway. It is zigbee from the inverter to the gateway and then RJ45 to the router.

Thanks in advance for the hand holding.
    You have the option to use Modbus over TCP (this is ETH). So If I was you I should use that possibility instead of going for the RS-485 pathway.

Which part is unclear from the earlier directions?

---
    John

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure which part is unclear. I'll have to run ETH from the inverter to the router, make the changes in the inverter and see what happens. I do have the feeling that in the process, I will lose the data flow to the portal, but I'll deal with that when I get closer.

I am curious if there is a way to read the data flowing from the gateway to my router, but baby steps first.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure which part is unclear. I'll have to run ETH from the inverter to the router, make the changes in the inverter and see what happens. I do have the feeling that in the process, I will lose the data flow to the portal, but I'll deal with that when I get closer.

I am curious if there is a way to read the data flowing from the gateway to my router, but baby steps first.
        See the top of page 5. That suggest that you can reach the portal and have non solar edge monitoring and control.

---
        John

Comment

Yes, I've seen that. I've fired off an email to my installer and I'll see what he can confirm.

Comment

Otherwise you can go ahead with the RS-485 option

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Comment

Solar Edge Monitoring

This document https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...nical-note.pdf appears to indicate that you can do everything over the Ethernet connection using ModbusTCP.

You could probably leave the Zigbee interface to the portal in place while your playing with Modbus TCP (or forever). Remember to give the Inverter Ethernet port a different IP address to the Zigbee Home Gateway and that the address should be static.

Comment

Comment

I've gotten busy on house projects and have not made progress.

If you don't have it set up, all I can say is I love my system but I do think that tied into HS will be a benefit.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I shut off the mains and solar breakers because I was doing work in the electrical panel. When I finished I turned the mains back on. I didn't realize I hadn't turned on the solar pv system until a few sunny days later when I happened to log into the Solaredge website. Had I a simple event running, I would have been made aware right away.

Since the reporting goes to Solaredge, I would have thought they could have given me a heads up, but that's not how it works. Sigh...

Hopefully, I'll get to it soon. It's apparently not a big deal to setup.

Good luck with yours.

Comment

Somehow, my latest replies are not showing up in latest activity, so I'm deleting the last two posts and starting a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X