Zwave Combo Smoke/CO2 Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwave Combo Smoke/CO2 Unit?

New to Zwave and have one homeseer Zwave device connected successfully. I purchased a Zwave First Alert combo Smoke/CO2 unit that Rupp had recommended. The instructions are not very clear on what you do to include the Combo Unit in your Zwave network. I went to the Zwave controller management screen and selected Zwave Controller screen. Do you select Add node and then press the TEST Button on the Combo device to pair it with the Zwave Network? Again instructions with the Combo Alarm are not real clear? Any help on this issue is much appreciated.....Rick

Select add a secure node, then select start, then open the battery compartment and insert the two batteries, hold down the test button and slide in the battery compartment. You should hear a single beep from the smoke/co detector, then release the test button. At that point it should start to add. Remember to hold it within a foot or closer to the controller.

Comment

Thanks much. I have already closed the battery compartment and held down the test button while doing so. However, I was not in range of the controller. Should I open the battery compartment and start over? Thanks Again....Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
        Thanks much. I have already closed the battery compartment and held down the test button while doing so. However, I was not in range of the controller. Should I open the battery compartment and start over? Thanks Again....Rick
        Yes. Make sure you are within a foot or better when you include again.

Comment

The detector was added successfully. Just have a couple of questions. It added three devices, the no status BRK Brands Sensor alarm node 3, Alarm Heartbeat, and battery devices. Are these the only three devices that are supposed to show up? I take it the Alarm Heartbeat will turn red on either a CO2 or Smoke Event. Would this be correct. I was expecting a separate device for a CO2 and Smoke Alarm event? Am I missing something.

What is the no status BRK Brands Sensor Alarm Node 3 device for? Seems kind of useless? It always says no status?

Are these the only three devices for this particular unit?

If I instigate or start an alarm test should I expect the Alarm Heartbeat Icon to turn red?

Would be nice for event purposes to know wether you have a CO2 or Smoke Alarm situation. Any way to determine this with this particular unit?

Thanks again for all your great help !!!!! Rick
          Last edited by Rick Bonari; March 29, 2018, 09:45 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

The detector was added successfully. Just have a couple of questions. It added three devices, the no status BRK Brands Sensor alarm node 3, Alarm Heartbeat, and battery devices. Are these the only three devices that are supposed to show up? I take it the Alarm Heartbeat will turn red on either a CO2 or Smoke Event. Would this be correct. I was expecting a separate device for a CO2 and Smoke Alarm event? Am I missing something.

What is the no status BRK Brands Sensor Alarm Node 3 device for? Seems kind of useless? It always says no status?

Are these the only three devices for this particular unit?

If I instigate or start an alarm test should I expect the Alarm Heartbeat Icon to turn red?

Would be nice for event purposes to know wether you have a CO2 or Smoke Alarm situation. Any way to determine this with this particular unit?

Thanks again for all your great help !!!!! Rick
            Click on the heatbeat device, click status grpahic tab, you will see the possible options that will appear then faulted.

Yes 3 devices is fine. Root, battery and status.

Comment

I have three events, one for smoke from any alarm, one for CO from any alarm and one for anything other than Alarm Heartbeat OK. Like @integlikewhoa said, look at the status graphics tab for all the possibilities.

Comment

Thanks much for the information. I thought that the status graphics image would change with different conditions but I see it is just the text.

I opened up the zwave tab for the co2/smoke detector device and it shows the following error message:

Error: The device main floor hallway co2/smoke detector - hallway is not a normally listening node, and an attempt to communicate with it has failed. To use the functions on this page (test connectivity, optimize, full optimize, audit this node) please make sure the device is awake and ready to receive a command prior to selecting the function buttons below.
                Not sure what this is saying. I assume the sensor is awake and ready to receive a command?

I did notice that towards the top of the page under options is a selection for polling option. It is currently set for 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds. Should this be set to something other than all zeros and if so what is a recommended setting?

If I initiate a test of the co2/smoke detector can I expect to see the status messages change in the device management page depending on what part of the test the detector is currently in? Looks like it checks c02, smoke, battery? Also noticed beside the status icon it says: NO STATUS?

Thanks again for all your help and clarifications !!!!!!!!! Rick
                Last edited by Rick Bonari; March 30, 2018, 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Don't enable polling. The smoke detector should send a heartbeat every 65 minutes, give or take a minute or two.

So you can write an event that sends you a heads up if a heartbeat is missed. In four months with five detectors I have yet to have a heartbeat missed. They're bullet proof.

See the screenshot below, the heartbeats are all within the last hour or so.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What was the error message all about in my previous post and can I check if it is communicating heartbeats by looking at date and time in device management page? The error message seemed to be saying that the detector was not awake? Thanks again !!!! Any further clarification is much appreciated !!!!! Rick

Comment

What was the error message all about in my previous post and can I check if it is communicating heartbeats by looking at date and time in device management page? The error message seemed to be saying that the detector was not awake? Thanks again !!!! Any further clarification is much appreciated !!!!! Rick
                      Battery devices are not usually on (listening), so that is what the message is trying to tell you - not normally on. This is to save battery life. To use some of those functions, you'd have to wake the battery device up first.

Comment

What was the error message all about in my previous post and can I check if it is communicating heartbeats by looking at date and time in device management page?
                        That is correct

The error message seemed to be saying that the detector was not awake?
                        Like was said by NETWORKGUY all battery devices sleep to save battery. During this sleep they will not respond to any commands or questions from the network. In order for you to communicate with them you must follow their instructions to manually wake them up before trying to communicate with them. Just like when you added them, this requires physical action.

During the heartbeat check or a smoke trigger the detector wakes up sends a command to homeseer then goes back to sleep. So Setting a manual polling time for you choice will not work. It will just cause homeseer to ask a question and no response from the smoke detector since it's not awake or listening. This will cause a normal error in the log or message. But this is normal for a battery device.

Battery devices all have different wake times and such but if you look in their instructions generally a battery device tells you how often it is scheduled to wake up. Even on devcies that don't have heartbeats this is usually the time that the battery % is updated and such. Some battery devices there is options to change this wake up time, some there is not. Waking up more often means battery doesn't last as long, but battery % is updated more often.

Battery door sensors and motion sensors are the same. They always wake when there is an event that trigger them (motion or door opened) but then they sleep again after the message is sent.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Yes this clarifies everything alot. I am good with the battery reporting at its normal interval. I was just wondering and curious what the error meant. Looks like it is for informational purposes only. I really don't have a need to use those functions in the zwave menu as it appears the detector is working correctly. I am receiving hearbeat about once every 60 or so minutes.

What is the best way to do an event that will report battery condition and report if their is a smoke alarm or C02 alarm? Can the event be tested once written by pressing and holding the test button on the detector to initiate a test of the smoke and C02 alarm functions?

Thanks again and you all are great !!!! Rick

Comment

On the device management page under control for the heartbeat, it has a button that says reset notifications. I depressed the test button to start testing and the graphic changed to test then when done changed to no notification. I hit reset notifications and the grahic still shows no notifications. What exactly does the reset notifications button do? Is it correct in assuming that the no notification status graphic will change to heartbeat graphic once the detector sends the heartbeat again.
                            I also noticed that the last change date for heartbeat and battery was 3/29/18. Seems this indicates the heartbeat isn't being reported properly. Any ideas on what might be going on here? When I depressed and initiated the test sequence the last change date updated properly. Not sure if unit is working correctly or not? Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks again !!!!!!! Rick
                            Last edited by Rick Bonari; April 2, 2018, 01:41 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

The HS3 log does not catch any of the info other than a non-heartbeat. Anything else shows as 255 in the log, if at all.

So just glance at the main screen to see the last time the heartbeat was received. Write an event so that it says "If this device has been set to" NOT "If this device changes and becomes"

You could create a virtual device that tracks the alarm heartbeat or create a timer that will alert you if a heartbeat is missed after about 65 minutes.

Remember, this is a battery device so the more it is forced to communicate the quicker you'll have to change the batteries. So a heartbeat every hour or so works nicely then it broadcasts a battery level every few days or so. Batteries last well over two years with this method.

Comment

Working...
                              X