No announcement yet.

Microsoft Update Policy Breaks HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to locations each running HS3 on Win10 Home. They are both very stable. Also running on each of them is BlueIris4. Each are on update 1803. I keep Win10 relatively current.

There are no automatic downloads/updates. I have to initiate them. That was accomplished by setting the ethernet connection to 'metered'.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-yo...in-windows-10/

Comment

Originally posted by whawley View Post
      It appears that the Windows Server 2016 approach is being used successfully with HS3. My research indicates that this OS would allow control of updates and will be supported for sometime. Would someone describe the process for converting a Homeseer S6 box with Windows 10 Home to Server 2016. Is it possible? What is the list of software required to accomplish this? Is there an upgrade path?
      Simpler than moving from Win2k3... Just install HS and replace the directory with that of the S6. At least you don't need to change scripts which have hard coded paths to include the (X86) directive.

Review comm ports before and re-instate the same on the new box.

As logbuilder states, there is another way with Win10. So the Win2k16 route may not be necessary.

I chose the server since I have always run servers since I started with Homeseer - Win2k, Win2k3, Win2k16. As well, I've always run HS as a service using Fire Daemon.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

FYI at work we have a version called...
        Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch).. it has changed names at times but the biggie is no "FU"'s aka feature updates... for 10 years...

now, I don't know how a home user gets their hands on it but it also..
        does not have Cortana, no windows store and other things...

we use this as our standard image at work as we deal with laboratories and have scientific instruments connected. these run for weeks and sometimes for months on a single run. Some are in use 24x7x365 and we have to schedule updates.... those updates are for say going from Windows 10 pro 1607 to 1703/1709/1803 - prefer 1803 as it pushes to the best support...

anyway that was a lot of junk to just say.. not sure if this would work for you but you could try..

I'm running windows 10 pro and Homeseer and it updates/upgrades and so far has been good.

although on my gaming rig, it uninstalled A LOT OF APPS!!!!!

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB
        Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/win...tsb-explained/
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          FYI at work we have a version called...
          Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch).. it has changed names at times but the biggie is no "FU"'s aka feature updates... for 10 years...

now, I don't know how a home user gets their hands on it but it also..
          does not have Cortana, no windows store and other things...

we use this as our standard image at work as we deal with laboratories and have scientific instruments connected. these run for weeks and sometimes for months on a single run. Some are in use 24x7x365 and we have to schedule updates.... those updates are for say going from Windows 10 pro 1607 to 1703/1709/1803 - prefer 1803 as it pushes to the best support...

anyway that was a lot of junk to just say.. not sure if this would work for you but you could try..

I'm running windows 10 pro and Homeseer and it updates/upgrades and so far has been good.

although on my gaming rig, it uninstalled A LOT OF APPS!!!!!

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB
          Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/win...tsb-explained/
          We've had some issues with LTSB and newer desktop hardware drivers. The vendors aren't making updated drivers for LTSB and that can quickly create compatibility issues. We have now moved away from LTSB (approx 30k desktops) because of it.
          HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

The irony of this discussion is that Xamarin, being a subsidiary of Microsoft are gladly developing the Mono project to allow all of us Linux users to run their .Net Framework developed software. It's a real "catch all" situation which clearly allows the likes of the HS3 developers to appeal to a wider market.

Bearing the above in mind, I still wouldn't run a main Microsoft operating system and would gladly install one of the flavours of Linux Server Editions (Ubuntu in my case) in preference any day.

Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              LTSB (Long Term Service Branch)... ...does not have Cortana, no windows store and other things
              In my dreams!!!! Might have to explore this.

However, I am running HS3 on Win10 Home with the Windows Update service disabled. Every 6-8 weeks I do a planned update, then disable the service again. This continues to work well for me and never gets re-enabled if I restart the machine. I'd much prefer none of the win junk though - even on my main desktop.
              cheeryfool

Comment

To be honest, I'm a bit more concerned about applying updates for HS3 than Win10. Neither of my systems check for updates when HS3 starts.

I'm running 3.0.0.368 which is very stable and I have no complaints but it has been a while so I should consider updating. Can someone tell me the latest really stable release of HS3?

Comment

I upgraded to .435 from .318 about 27days ago and have not restarted HS since. In fact I'll be heading out of the country for the next 3 weeks and feel confident that my system will be just fine.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

+1 on .435. It is the best yet as far as resource utilization. Mine has been stable and not rebooted since April 20.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      +1 on .435. It is the best yet as far as resource utilization. Mine has been stable and not rebooted since April 20.
                      Certainly looks that way on the Linux platform too. I ran .435 for 24 days but needed to upgrade my Linux distribution so had to stop the service to do this.

Linux users don't have forced updates thrown at them so it's important to schedule regular housekeeping

I'll let .435 run away on its own and get on to some productive tasks now. The round of beta testing was hectic this time round. Think we all need a little break now unless HS3 armageddon strikes in the meantime.

Comment

I run Windows 8.1 pro and i just set the windows updates to ask me to update. Is this something that 10 does not allow?
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

If I were to tell HS3 to check for an update now, would I get 435?

Robert

Comment

You can just download the package and install it.

https://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_435.msi

You also can set HS to check for updates at startup, in settings.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Just installed 435 on the system where I am. Will let it run for a few days before updating the other.

Thanks!

Robert

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X