WAY OFF-TOPIC! Attic storage idea/thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
    Yeah I get not wanting to throw stuff out. I went through my "junk" drawers (plural) a couple months ago when we redid the family room flooring and I was hesitant of throwing out stuff... and about a week after I was then searching for a couple cables....that I had thrown away.

Not a huge deal, I can buy a new cable, but that's why I kept that "junk" just in case I needed it

I have a storage unit for larger stuff and seasonal stuff. No point in keeping the Christmas, Halloween decorations in the garage or attic all year. We rotate the bikes in/out on who's riding them and such. Other large things like table leafs that are just a PITA to get in/out of the attic etc... that stuff. Yeah the cost is kinda crazy but my goal is short term for large unit and as I go through and throw out then I can move to a smaller unit which isn't too horrible. Long run doing a reno project to add space would be cheaper but for short term the storage unit works for me.
    Yeah, so your junk drawer story. Two things: First, yeah, I can own something for 10 years and throw it away and then a week later need it. It just reinforces my "I have to save it in case I need it" and that mentality has saved me money, though granted, probably not much. On the other side, I save old HDMI cables when I update to newer ones (for like 4k). Why? chances are I'll never use the older cables again, but I still get that feeling that "I might need it" (or someone I know will).

Secondly, I am a huge junk drawer person and like you have multiple. I love cleaning them out though and getting rid of stuff and this appeases my wife. However, last time I cleaned it out, it was full a week later.. Did I do it? Nope, it was the wife.... the same one complaining about the full junk drawer...LOL At least she's coming to the dark side.

Also, saving all our baby stuff ended up getting us almost through 3 kids. Our 2 youngest and our grandson. The only thing the grandson couldn't use to it's fill potential was the car seat because it "expired" (I guess they are only good for 5 years?). We also just sold out our baby swing before our daughter told us she was pregnant. I wish we had saved it because it was a really nice one. She even still has a high chair still in her box from her baby shower because she just uses ours..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      Yeah, so your junk drawer story. Two things: First, yeah, I can own something for 10 years and throw it away and then a week later need it. It just reinforces my "I have to save it in case I need it" and that mentality has saved me money, though granted, probably not much. On the other side, I save old HDMI cables when I update to newer ones (for like 4k). Why? chances are I'll never use the older cables again, but I still get that feeling that "I might need it" (or someone I know will).
      yeah ive got video cards, network cards, power cables, billions of network cables, etc.. so I feel ya..

Secondly, I am a huge junk drawer person and like you have multiple. I love cleaning them out though and getting rid of stuff and this appeases my wife. However, last time I cleaned it out, it was full a week later.. Did I do it? Nope, it was the wife.... the same one complaining about the full junk drawer...LOL At least she's coming to the dark side.
      I hate my junk drawers/boxes

Also, saving all our baby stuff ended up getting us almost through 3 kids. Our 2 youngest and our grandson. The only thing the grandson couldn't use to it's fill potential was the car seat because it "expired" (I guess they are only good for 5 years?). We also just sold out our baby swing before our daughter told us she was pregnant. I wish we had saved it because it was a really nice one. She even still has a high chair still in her box from her baby shower because she just uses ours..LOL
      this is the biggie.. for us too.. we have 2 kids and yes it saved us money. As we got stuff from other people and recycled around to friends.. we still kept nice stuff that we bought but now being done with having kids, have started to clear out the "what the youngest doesn't fit in".

also cribs.. both of our kids used our crib and a friend used it too. it was a $1000 canopy crib with the side that clicks and slides half way down... really really nice wood crib...
      CANT SELL IT!!! ILLEGAL!!!! some kid might get hurt as they say it isn't safe... and I refuse to chuck it
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Trusses are typically designed to support much more weight than you might think. They will support multiple construction workers, etc. in addition to their normal load. Lumber yards have specifications for the loads and spans.

Steve Q

Yes, but only force coming from specific directions. The strength of a roof truss is designed to support snow loads on a pitched surface. In climates that don't have snow a flat roof is completely fine as long as there is a means of shedding water safely. For that matter in a heavy snow climate a flat roof is also fine as long as it's built to handle the increase in load. The load on a truss is downward at an angle. The load of a horizontal surface such as an attic deck is nearing perpendicular to the design load of the truss. The load calculation that an engineer at a lumber yard can give you is dependent on the pitch of the roof. For a flat roof you would use a web truss which is an entirely different creature than a pitched roof truss. It's simply not safe and is a code violation everywhere in the country that the national code is respected. Just don't do it. There are simple ways to have an elevated attic deck that will put no load on the trusses at all.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          Attaching to the trusses like you describe is fine BUT! You also need to support your new joists on ceiling joists directly below as well. You're right that the trusses aren't designed to bear weight like that. They are really quite flimsy and only have strength in on specific application. Basically just use them to keep your new floor system from racking, shifting around. Also just make a barn door out on the rear gable of the house to get your goods in and out. You'll love it in the future. You could put a kayak up there through a barn door or whatever else you can imagine. Then you can also delete your interior attic hatch. Those things are notorious for leaking energy like a sieve. I'm never building a house with an attic hatch again. I'd rather build stairs out back to the barn door.
          Colin,

Can you expand on what you mean by the bolded text above?

Also, I've attached an image of my shed with the pole (no wench in that picture, this was just after they primed it for paint)
          Attached Files

Comment

You need to stand something on your ceiling joists to rest joists for your new deck on. You can be creative. The point is that you can't rest the new deck joists on the trusses. You want to somehow rest them on the existing ceiling joists. I'm assuming that you're not going to be putting anything really heavy up there but it would still be a good idea to try to center the load on the tops of existing walls. If you rest the new floor on the trusses you will encourage them to bend and the house could peel open like a banana. Some vertical blocks and some diagonal blocks on top of your existing joists and under your new deck joists. That will provide strength for the load and once you cover it with plywood or whatever the deck will keep it from racking, from shifting around and wobbling.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I had 24" of blown in insulation added to my attic and it took away my storage for Christmas trees so I added "shelves" above the insulation. It worked out great. So I think what you have drawn is very doable.

Ronnie

Comment

Working...
              X