Relay control of Attic Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay control of Attic Fan

A contractor installed an attic fan for my this summer. I neglected to request a fan that had humidy sensor as well as a temp sensor. I could add the humidity controller, but they cost almost than the actual fan! I decided to use x10 fixture relay mod which I had in the parts bin. I used my weather data to control the fan. It work great for a week. Now the fan will NOT turn off. X10 signal is still strong. I am thnking I fried the module. I wired it in parrell is the fans temp controller. Was this a mistake??? I can not get back up to the attic yet because the access panel is in a closet that is now full of clothes again.
    Larry

Those fans have a tremendous startup current. Likely you fused the relay. I'm not sure if they make an X10 module big enough. How many horses on that motor?

Jon

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra
    A contractor installed an attic fan for my this summer. I neglected to request a fan that had humidy sensor as well as a temp sensor. I could add the humidity controller, but they cost almost than the actual fan! I decided to use x10 fixture relay mod which I had in the parts bin. I used my weather data to control the fan. It work great for a week. Now the fan will NOT turn off. X10 signal is still strong. I am thnking I fried the module. I wired it in parrell is the fans temp controller. Was this a mistake??? I can not get back up to the attic yet because the access panel is in a closet that is now full of clothes again.
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
      How many horses on that motor?
      Jon
      Not to sure about that. It was a HomeDepot "special". The unit is not
      that large - CFM 1320. No info on HP. The relay mod that I used was rated at 15A. Is that not enough?
      Larry

Comment

Likely you fused the relay. I'm not sure if they make an X10 module big enough.
        Jon
        You got it!. Relay is fused.

Before I fuse another fixture mod.... can I hack the module & install a "better" relay.

What are my other options to control this attic fan?
        Larry

Comment

It is likely that the device would deliver enough current to drive a larger relay, but I would not recommend it.

Instead you should see if there are any other options. You mention in your first post that you purchased a temperature controller for the fan. This means that you very likely have installed at this point a low-voltage sensing system with a high-voltage high surge current switch.

I don't know what it looks like but you might be able to introduce your X10 controller at the low-voltage side of the existing system.

That way you use the swiching system that was designed for controlling the fan.

If the system uses a simple resistive thermistor to measure temperature then you could use a relay module to short across the thermistor to fool it into thinking that it was very hot.

If it uses a bi-metal spring to make contact when it it is hot (like a home thermostat) then it is even simpler - just make the same contact with the X10 relay module.

If you do want to just wire in another module here is a unit designed for up to 1 H.P. motors with X10 2-way and last state restore on power fail.

http://www.smarthome.com/2250aw.html

Jon

You got it!. Relay is fused.

Before I fuse another fixture mod.... can I hack the module & install a "better" relay.

What are my other options to control this attic fan?
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Jon. I think I understand what you are saying.

This is a line level stat. This is how it is currently wired.

Option 3 - the new module may work with the same setup is above (?) Now that I look at it again, I way have caused the problem by leaving the Tstat in loop. If the module is off & the Tstat turns the fan on. Then I a got 120v feeding back through the blue load lead. Am I correct?

Not sure how Option 2 with the relay could be setup?
            Larry

Comment

You have it wired just fine. Either the fixure module or the temp switch will turn the unit on. No shorts.

Motors are a near short when they start. The only option you have with the switch you are using is to get the higher current switch I linked to. The motor itself should have the H.P. rating on it. You should be good to one H.P.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. I think I understand what you are saying.

This is a line level stat. This is how it is currently wired.

Option 3 - the new module may work with the same setup is above (?) Now that I look at it again, I way have caused the problem by leaving the Tstat in loop. If the module is off & the Tstat turns the fan on. Then I a got 120v feeding back through the blue load lead. Am I correct?

Not sure how Option 2 with the relay could be setup?
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

The motor itself should have the H.P. rating on it.
                I gotta bring a brighter light up there to read the small print!

Thanks for all of your asssitance.
                Larry

Comment

Working...
                X