Exactly What Do You Automate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you integrate / automate in your house? We're curious.
    Light Switches or Modules
    98.33%
    Thermostats (HVAC)
    80.42%
    Door Locks
    52.08%
    Security System
    62.50%
    Audio / Video Equipment
    68.33%
    Appliances
    47.08%
    Outdoor Vehicle - Intrusion Detection
    22.50%
    Garage Doors
    63.33%
    Environmental Sensors (motion, temp, humidity, light, etc)
    84.17%
    Water Detection and Control
    51.67%
    Energy Management
    50.83%
    Pool / Spa Management
    17.08%
    Media Management - Music
    44.58%
    Media Management - Movies / Videos
    25.00%
    Irrigation System
    42.50%
    IP Cameras
    69.17%
    Other - please post
    7.50%
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Everything I can!
    Lighting - usual stuff
    HVAC - heating and AC setbacks, ceiling fans,
    Power Management - turn stuff off during peak power times, monitor power usage 24/7
    Solar accent lighting - turn on solar lighting, monitor solar charge controller
    Music - play wake up/ bedtime music
    News & Weather- periodic NPR news reports, time and temperature over whole house audio system
    Security Camera management- email alerts, show cams on web page
    RFID tags in cars to put house to sleep when we are gone
    Reminders - medication, washing machine, dryer, windows/ doors open

More when HS3 is released!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Wow, that a daunting list to even think of.

Lighting of course, inside and out, based on either RFID, times of day or available light level and who's home.

Ceiling fans based on temp sensors.

Security

Wakeup alarms with music and announcement of schedules.

Announcements for weather, alerts, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, general reminders, ETC.

Camera's though not really managed by HomeSeer can be seen in HSTouch.

Backups of HomeSeer and two other systems running.

Computer network monitoring.

That's off the top of my head for now but there's much more, some of which I've probably forgotten.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

The most successful HS automated task in my house has to be the sprinklers, using McsSprinklers to water based on ET.

The second most successful automated task is turning on window AC units on the only two rooms that get hot when outside temp reaches a setpoint.

Third most successful automated task is turning lights on and off when people enter/leave rooms.

What I would like to automate and have been struggling to make work reliably is to shut everything off when there is nobody home.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I started creating the poll and then took a lunch break... so, the poll didn't actually appear until just now. if you posted to this thread (above this post), please hit the poll now.

Sorry for the lag!

Comment

I try to target anything that the family would typically do manually. For example, we have under-cabinet lighting that is connected to a ZWave wall switch. With a motion sensor, I turn them on when there is motion in the kitchen and turn them off with no motion. I have lots of automation like this. Closets are a good candidate for automation.

My swimming pool is new this year. I setup schedules for the pump and have a failsafe that it can never be off for more than 2 hours. The booster pump for the cleaner also runs for one hour a day and can never run more than one hour at a time.

Our Schlage door lock gets a lot of attention. When the cleaning lady shows up on every other thursday and enters her code, the entire house turns on - every lighting device.
            I also get text alerts when certain user codes are entered.

Outdoor lighting with motion detection works great and highly recommended.

Not really "automated" are TTS alerts throughout the day - motion, messages, reminders, etc.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              I started creating the poll and then took a lunch break... so, the poll didn't actually appear until just now. if you posted to this thread (above this post), please hit the poll now.

Sorry for the lag!
              You too Rob!

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                You too Rob!
                Thanks - I did!
                I love these threads - I get ideas and a little motivation when I see them!
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  Thanks - I did!
                  I love these threads - I get ideas and a little motivation when I see them!
                  Me too. Helps us to keep track to trends and needs too.

Oops. Forgot to include IP Cameras, so just added those.

Comment

Mark it zero dude.

IP cams is a good one. I would have checked it.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

automated barking dog correction http://goo.gl/BQy0x

Comment

What I would really like to see is HS being the leader in VR automation, so that Not only, to have control of your devices manually, but have it also controled by voice.
                        Hector
                        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

hey Mark.. u back from vaca???? if so is it done?bet u need another!!!!

hah...

ok so i chose other..
                          that was for..
                          sump pump levels

other than that i automate
                          thermostat
                          thc-138c temps all over the house.. 10 of them
                          motion to shutoff lights
                          alarm panel
                          appliances
                          electric monitoring
                          garage doors
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Adding to the above list I also include:
                            - VoIP telephony, call detection/monitoring/HST screen pop of Caller ID etc.
                            - Door intercom system, integrated to telephony, therefore integrated to above
                            - Low voltage LED lighting via separate drivers
                            Nicolai L

Comment

Mostly here it is:

Lighting - Based on who is home,

Sprinkler - Based on weather, chance of rain using Etherrain controller

Music - This has been a big hit, with targeted TTS and music using Squeezebox

Security - Based on location tracking, DS10A sensors etc

IR - Using IR to control Air Conditioners, our Navibot vacuum, two air purifiers (for when the vacuum starts etc)

Paging - This is automated with map generation etc, I did think about playing around with extra logic and have done so for my Parents, so for example if the fire danger rating is very high, extreme or catastrophic for their area it emails them the night before to let them know, then if there is a fire call anywhere near them, and the conditions are still as bad, it lets them know through various messages. The idea was i could expand how far our a call needed to be (e.g. 2 - 3 towns away) and if the conditions were that bad they should be notified if it is a certain type of call, however if the conditions are not that bed, then the calls would not be of great value to them.

1-wire through the Arduino script to control my Greenhouse, including Ventilation, monitoring etc.

IP Cameras are all interfaced, and use UltraNetCam with alarms to trigger various events.

I do also interface with the weather to alert if it is raining and the windows are open, or if the winds are high and something should be checked.

I was going to automate our HVAC system, but sadly it was one of those bus connections, not the common wires I could join onto so it didn't seem like it was really worth it (sadly).

I don't know how many appliances I would automate if i could, probably all of them
                              HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X