Attic lighting suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attic lighting suggestions.

So I spend an abnormal amount of time in the attic. I have 1 bulb on one side of my attic. Now it's not a full height attic either and the trusses are webbed.

The one up there is one of those ceramic ones that just the bulb screws into and has a pull string. I would like this year to add more lighting so that if I do need to work up there, I can do it in the wee hours when it's still cool (I live in Florida).

So any suggestions or should I just put more of those cheap bulb bases up there ever so often?

Note: I will likely change the pull string to a switch in the main house. Since I have 2 attic accesses I'll probable do a 3-way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Those of us in colder climates feel for you. We do not have this problem as we certainly would never go in our attics as it is currently -24 degrees Fahrenheit out...

Kidding aside, I would put LED lighting or low voltage lighting in my attic as they do not get hot. Less of a chance of fire....
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I put led modules in mine and love it as i can work anywhere and don't need a flash light (i just tell alexa to turn on the attic lights and she turns on the 12v power supply and i don't have to worry about anything getting hot)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161218_210043 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1188172

Name:	IMG_20161218_210051 (Small).jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1188173

Comment

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
        I put led modules in mine and love it as i can work anywhere and don't need a flash light (i just tell alexa to turn on the attic lights and she turns on the 12v power supply and i don't have to worry about anything getting hot)

[ATTACH]58246[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]58247[/ATTACH]
        Do you have a close-up of the LED module?

Comment

I had them made just for that (and for putting under shelves) with a 12" spacing and 4000k color temp.
          if you need any i have a few hundred left they are $0.75ea

Name:	IMG_20161218_224852 (Small).jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1188177

Comment

Out of curiosity, why don't you have any insulation on TOP of the drywall (which ends up as your ceiling)? I noticed all the foam spray in the ceiling bays...but the way most roofs are made, they are just weather shields, they are open to allow the air to pass out - so wouldn't insulating the exterior bays not really do anything?

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
              Out of curiosity, why don't you have any insulation on TOP of the drywall (which ends up as your ceiling)? I noticed all the foam spray in the ceiling bays...but the way most roofs are made, they are just weather shields, they are open to allow the air to pass out - so wouldn't insulating the exterior bays not really do anything?

--Dan
              I'll answer for them. You can now have your attic sealed as part of the thermal envelope of your house. This is supposed to be better, especially if you have ac ducting in the attic since it won't heat up as much.

I tried to get this done to my existing house, but no one wanted to do a retrofit since I live 2 hours away from the people that do it.

We are looking to possibly build a new house in the next year or two. If we do, my attic will be sealed up and foamed like that. Here in Florida I hear it does wonders for your cooling bill. As it is now, my power bill can go up upwards of $100/month or more in the summer. I'm in the process this winter of sealing it and re-insulating while it's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
                I had them made just for that (and for putting under shelves) with a 12" spacing and 4000k color temp.
                if you need any i have a few hundred left they are $0.75ea
                [ATTACH]58252[/ATTACH]
                How big of an area do they light up? My attic is basically a 30' x 60' space. I'm wondering if those LEDs will light up all the way to the eaves.

Comment

yes i sprayed the insulation directly on the underside of the metal roof so the attic included in the conditioned area so any ducts, can lights, etc don't break the envelope and with the insulation so tight there is no real heat gain or loss up there so it is always nice:-)

the attic up there is 40x60 and i just have a row down the middle and it lights it nicely but i did run a little jog at the one end over to the garage roof as there are a bunch of wires going over there so i wanted a little more light

Comment

I have used the LED lamps mentioned above. Reason I purchased them originally was for outdoor use. That said in a similar sized attic built a cat walk end to end and put in conduit and porcelain bulb sockets and bulbs some 14 years ago or so. I also put illuminated indicator switches at 2nd floor level for said lamps. Installed a chandelier lift which is a big larger than a garage door opener. It was a bit of a PITA to install over the front entrance section of the home. Never changed the lighting but really only used the attic for my low voltage lighting. I did have to use a ladder to run the conduit near the ceiling. Built a chase from the basement to the attic here for low voltage wiring. Installed under the eave cameras via the attic and outside here. I was able to crawl to the section and reach over to get the wire in place just fine. Built one small section for storage but never really used it much as I had two other attics which were easier to access. I did redo the stairways to the attic going from a wooden style folding stair case to an aluminum telescopic stair case which worked well.

Recently purchased these circular multi LED lamps that around around 18-24 watts. Very bright I have one in the garage which lights up the entire garage. Concurrent with that purchase purchased tube outdoor LED lamps which are made for the outdoors and very bright and easy to install. I purchased 4 foot lamps. They are almost instant on.

Purchased the attached tube lighting at Amazon. It is very well constructed.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; December 20, 2016, 04:12 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

No bulb is fire proof.

I would suggest looking at fire retardant paint and applying on the foam above the fixture. We used 3-4 gallons and I think it was reasonable at $40 a gallon. It was sourced from NY if I recall.

Spray foam wither Open of Closed cell is extremely toxic when on fire. Might suggest you add smoke detectors as well.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                      HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Last edited by Pete; December 21, 2016, 01:22 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                        X