Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon! MeiHarmonyHub! (Harmony Hub Monitor and Control)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    I changed the IP address of the one misbehaving hub, then changed it in the plug-in to .100. The log was full of errors with the plug-in still looking for the hub at the old address of .129. I checked the configuration in the plug-in and it was still at the new address of .100. I restarted HomeSeer and the plug-in reverted back to the old address of .129. I think the IP change mechanism is not fully functional. The hub is back at the old address, there are no errors and the plug-in is functioning with the troublesome hub. .
    Ok, odd. I'll double check it. I disconnect the hub before changing the store IP and then try and start it up again. it should use the new IP, but likely I messed it up. I'll get a fix out as soon as I can.

I did test it, but since i have 4 hubs, I just changed the ip of one hub to another hub. If it was still using the old IP I guess I wouldn't have noticed with my method of testing.

Comment

Beta update (sorta)
      I will be releasing a new version tonight or tomorrow night (the machine I'm on now is not the one I release from and I'm on a deployment for work, so just killing time).

Sleep Timers
      This new version will have support for tracking the Sleep Timer on the hub. There is a setting for each hub to "Use Sleep Timer?". If checked a sleep timer device is created. When a sleep timer is set, the value of this device is shown in seconds (though the string will be in HH:MM:SS). This device is updated once a second.

With that I have also created 2 new actions:

Set Sleep Timer to X
      Cancel Sleep Timer.

I thought about adding some triggers:
      A Sleep Timer is Less than
      A Sleep Timer is exactly

But I think the amount of processing required to do it isn't worth it. If anyone disagrees, I can add it and run a few tests (I have some of the code already written). However, as of right now I'm storing the sleep timer value as the number of seconds until it ends. So if someone wanted to, they could use the built in triggers to check for the value of this device instead.

For instance: "If [Sleep Timer] has a value that is less than 300" (which is 5 minutes)

My current code does allow you to set the value using a time span picker which is a bit cleaner, but the process to check the triggers each second (for each hub) I thought might be overkill.

This new feature does come with one caveat. I am not periodically polling the hub after the initial sleep timer is set, so it is possible the timer in HS could vary from that of the one in the hub. I would consider it a rough estimate (within 1-2 seconds).I may add in periodic polling to check the value for drift, but at this time I'm not sure it's worth it as I see most people using this to actually set the sleep timer, not monitor it.

New Setting/Bug Fix
      Due to a bug found by @rprade (thanks Randy!) I have introduced a new setting to help give more control. The bug found was that if a heartbeat didn't respond in time, the plugin wouldn't disconnect from the hub, but did prevent any future commands from actually going to the hub. Depending on the value you have for "Request Timeout" you may never encounter this bug (and I've gone weeks without having a hub timeout on a heartbeat request). At one point I had all requests hard-coded to 60 seconds, but I changed it to a 10 second default a version or so back, which is why I think it started showing up. 60 seconds seemed too long for a timeout and it was just a carry over from when I was doing debugging and I needed the extra time when debugging in Visual Studio.

Anywho, the new setting is: Maximum Missed Heartbeats

This allows you to set how many missed heartbeats there can be before the hub is considered forcefully disconnected and communication is stopped. This is defaulted to 1.

Note that if you set this value to greater than 1, then these are only subsequent missed heartbeat checks. So if you miss one, then one is successful, the count is reset back to zero.

New Activities not picked up from hub
      There is a user who can't get new activities or devices to show up without a restart of HomeSeer. I've been unable to reproduce this bug no matter how I create the activity (using the My Harmony windows app or my phone).

I've added more debugging and fixed an issue with some current debugging to hopefully figure this out.

What's next?
      I may stop with this plugin for a bit (after all bugs are fixed of course) unless there are some feature requests people want. I will be likely be releasing this to the updater this weekend and officially start charging for it. I am still up in the air about the price. I have heard some very good arguments from both sides.

The reason I wanted to charge what I wanted (And I really wanted to charge more than that!) was because of the ability to control Home Automation devices and track their status through the hub (opening up the possibility to replace so many other plugins like Nest, Ecobee, etc).

However, since then, I have decided that while I will still investigate those options, I am going to discuss with HomeSeer doing "Add-ons" for a plugin (if they want to support it). this way the base plugin can be cheaper, but other functionality can be added on at a later date at the users choosing. The only other option I could think of is creating a separate plugins for the HA stuff on the Hubs, but I think it would be a waste to have 2 plugins talking to the same hub just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        [SIZE="5"]

However, since then, I have decided that while I will still investigate those options, I am going to discuss with HomeSeer doing "Add-ons" for a plugin (if they want to support it). this way the base plugin can be cheaper, but other functionality can be added on at a later date at the users choosing. The only other option I could think of is creating a separate plugins for the HA stuff on the Hubs, but I think it would be a waste to have 2 plugins talking to the same hub just for that.

This would be perfect... Because i do not really think of using the other functionalities you want to add.
        I guess i will try them '' like pairing sonos'' to see how it goes... but i do not think i will use it.
        Now i use mqtt for sonos playback status because i had trouble with the satus update from the sonos plugin.

anyways. i'll just try your ad-on by curioisity and chek after..

But paying a fair amount for meiharmony (29$) and charging $10-15 for the addons seems fair to me..

i just hope other wont start to charge for update of the plugins because of ''new fonctions'' lol

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
          This would be perfect... Because i do not really think of using the other functionalities you want to add.
          I guess i will try them '' like pairing sonos'' to see how it goes... but i do not think i will use it.
          Now i use mqtt for sonos playback status because i had trouble with the satus update from the sonos plugin.

anyways. i'll just try your ad-on by curioisity and chek after..

But paying a fair amount for meiharmony (29$) and charging $10-15 for the addons seems fair to me..

i just hope other wont start to charge for update of the plugins because of ''new fonctions'' lol
          yeah, I don't look at is as new functions, but new totally new functionality. And who knows, I may just decide when I do add them to increase the price then. Those that already own it would get the benefit but at the lower price. I'm not sure.

I don't really desire to nickle and dime anyone, but if I do go down this path of adding the HA stuff, it will be a significant time sink for me.

Comment

yeah, I don't look at is as new functions, but new totally new functionality. And who knows, I may just decide when I do add them to increase the price then. Those that already own it would get the benefit but at the lower price. I'm not sure.

I don't really desire to nickle and dime anyone, but if I do go down this path of adding the HA stuff, it will be a significant time sink for me.
            if you go that route ( with add on ) i would definitely pay 34.99$ for your plugin.

Comment

Beta update

Version 3.0.1.5
              * Expires 3/31/18
              * Add Sleep Timer support
              * Added additional debugging

Known Issues:
              * Changing IP of a hub may not work correctly
              * setting off a Sleep Timer after plugin start but before an activity change is picked up will incorrectly fire the "A activity is starting" trigger.

Comment

Pricing Update

All, I think I have decided to charge $39.95 for this plugin. However, I am really appreciative of all the beta testers, so for the first week that this is in the store, I will be setting the price to $29.95 instead.

I am able to adjust the price myself using the Developer Portal HS has created, so it should be a fairly easy thing to do. I will be adding the plugin soon, however, they are still ironing out some bugs and I can't currently log in, so I will keep trying this weekend. It wasn't likely to be approved before Monday anyways.

Thank you all for your help. I will be updating this thread when the plugin has been approved and the "sale" has begun

Thanks,
                Frank

Comment

Question - is your plugin based on an official published API?

FYI, this shows the distribution of plugin prices, extracted from the current updater control file.

Code:
                       74 Free
                       71 $39.95
                       60 $29.95
                       10 $49.95
                        6 $35.99
                        5 $59.95
                        2 $9.95
                        2 $69.95
                        2 $34.95
                        2 $21.95
                        2 $20
                        2 $19.95
                        2 $18.95
                        1 59.95
                        1 $49.99
                        1 $39.00
                        1 $29.99
                        1 $24.95
                        1 $20.95
                        1 $19.95 or free with purchase of #Tags
                      ___

Comment

39$ is not that much. I didn't want to compare it to other plugin... but yours... is just more reliable ( and has more fonctions). And the guy behind the plugin is more reliable too.

the one from spud is another story so won't talk about it.

thanks for that special pricing !

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                      39$ is not that much. I didn't want to compare it to other plugin... but yours... is just more reliable ( and has more fonctions). And the guy behind the plugin is more reliable too.

the one from spud is another story so won't talk about it.

thanks for that special pricing !

Matt
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Pricing Update

All, I think I have decided to charge $39.95 for this plugin. However, I am really appreciative of all the beta testers, so for the first week that this is in the store, I will be setting the price to $29.95 instead.

I am able to adjust the price myself using the Developer Portal HS has created, so it should be a fairly easy thing to do. I will be adding the plugin soon, however, they are still ironing out some bugs and I can't currently log in, so I will keep trying this weekend. It wasn't likely to be approved before Monday anyways.

Thank you all for your help. I will be updating this thread when the plugin has been approved and the "sale" has begun

Thanks,
                        Frank
                        Frank,
                        I have see you work your butt off working on this PI, and support those interested in using with active work. I haven't read through every comment but I'm getting the sense you're done with the plug-in after it goes 'live'?

One of the most important aspect of me investing money into a developer is directly tied to their vested interest in supporting the product they develop. There are already far too many PI dev's who don't seem interested in actively supporting their users.

I'd much rather support those who actually want to support their customers, and resolve issues. I guess it's just a measurement of diminishing returns for some devs.

Anyway could you clarify for my sleep deprived brain what your long term intentions are with this PI as it pertains support (issues)?
                        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                          Question - is your plugin based on an official published API?

FYI, this shows the distribution of plugin prices, extracted from the current updater control file.

Code:
                               74 Free
                               71 $39.95
                               60 $29.95
                               10 $49.95
                                6 $35.99
                                5 $59.95
                                2 $9.95
                                2 $69.95
                                2 $34.95
                                2 $21.95
                                2 $20
                                2 $19.95
                                2 $18.95
                                1 59.95
                                1 $49.99
                                1 $39.00
                                1 $29.99
                                1 $24.95
                                1 $20.95
                                1 $19.95 or free with purchase of #Tags
                              ___
                          No, this not based off the official API. The official API is severely limited compared to this (which is based off the communication protocol for their phone apps)

Note that neither of the other 2 harmony plug-ins are based on the official API either. One of the
                          them tried, but as far as I know Logitech never gave them access.

There is some risk as Logitech could block or change access to method I'm using. I'm willing to bet that the other two plugins depend on basically the same method of access but are using third party libraries to convert the real time communication to something like a rest API, which requires polling (which us fine if you don't need/want the instant updates). I will always do my best to overcome any issues, but it's been years since they changed it last and when they did they only removed access to logging into their remote authentication server and opened up authentication free alocal access to the hubs (based on my research). I think Logitech sees some value to having access to the unofficial API.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                            Frank,
                            I have see you work your butt off working on this PI, and support those interested in using with active work. I haven't read through every comment but I'm getting the sense you're done with the plug-in after it goes 'live'?

One of the most important aspect of me investing money into a developer is directly tied to their vested interest in supporting the product they develop. There are already far too many PI dev's who don't seem interested in actively supporting their users.

I'd much rather support those who actually want to support their customers, and resolve issues. I guess it's just a measurement of diminishing returns for some devs.

Anyway could you clarify for my sleep deprived brain what your long term intentions are with this PI as it pertains support (issues)?
                            Sorry, I guess I should have phrased that better. Much like with MeiKu I will of course continue to support this plug-in. However I will be scaling back new development on it unless there are feature requests or bugs found.

This plug-in has the possibility to control any home automation devices connected to the hub as well as the home theater devices (Nest, Hue, Ecobee, etc). That aspect of the hub communication is likely going to be put on the back burner for now. It's going to be a huge time sink as each device type has to be mapped out. I'm going to investigate this more later but I have a couple of other plugins I want to work on so my main focus will shift.

Bug fixes and feature requests will be worked on as they are presented.

I hope this makes more sense [emoji16]

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should have phrased that better. Much like with MeiKu I will of course continue to support this plug-in. However I will be scaling back new development on it unless there are feature requests or bugs found.

This plug-in has the possibility to control any home automation devices connected to the hub as well as the home theater devices (Nest, Hue, Ecobee, etc). That aspect of the hub communication is likely going to be put on the back burner for now. It's going to be a huge time sink as each device type has to be mapped out. I'm going to investigate this more later but I have a couple of other plugins I want to work on so my main focus will shift.

Bug fixes and feature requests will be worked on as they are presented.

I hope this makes more sense [emoji16]

Thanks Frank, I'll look out for it on Monday or there after.
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Jon00 sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X