Fibaro Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    The 5 Plugin limit relates to the HS3-Pi version. If you purchase the HS3 standard or Pro version, you are free to install it on a Pi using your favorite Linux distribution. That way there is no plugin limit (just processor limit). Also, by purchasing the HS3 standard/pro, you have a license to install HS3 on Windows AND Linux at the same time.

All HS3 plugins written by Homeseer (not 3rd Party) come free with the Pro version. That includes HSTouch designer and Z-Seer+

One other bit of advise. The updater is not the sole source of plugins. Search the board first and you may find a few free gems hidden in the posts.
    Thanks Jon00

You have all sold me, i'm jumping ship.

Tillsy: What z-wave USB interface stick did you use, homeseer want $85 postage for a $33 stick.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      The 5 Plugin limit relates to the HS3-Pi version. If you purchase the HS3 standard or Pro version, you are free to install it on a Pi using your favorite Linux distribution. That way there is no plugin limit (just processor limit). Also, by purchasing the HS3 standard/pro, you have a license to install HS3 on Windows AND Linux at the same time.
      Wow had no idea about any of that. However I'm still happy with the Pi version - I can only find one other plugin I may want, I don't need to run it on multiple platforms, and happy using a pre-created Pi image that HomeSeer fully supports. I can only find one other plugin I might want so looks like it all worked out for me anyway

Originally posted by pricey1985@hotmail.com View Post
      Tillsy: What z-wave USB interface stick did you use, homeseer want $85 postage for a $33 stick.
      My testing has been with an Aeotec Z-Stick, however I have been told they can be problematic (haven't experienced any issues though?). The vendor that contacted me sent an eval of their stick which they say is 100% HomeSeer supported (and was on my doorstep when I headed off to work this morning) - will start playing with that tonight and buy it from them if it works well. Again not sure if they are happy for me to name them or not so if you like PM me after I've tested it and I'll be happy to tell you who they are - the cost is less than that shipping cost alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
        My testing has been with an Aeotec Z-Stick, however I have been told they can be problematic (haven't experienced any issues though?). The vendor that contacted me sent an eval of their stick which they say is 100% HomeSeer supported (and was on my doorstep when I headed off to work this morning) - will start playing with that tonight and buy it from them if it works well. Again not sure if they are happy for me to name them or not so if you like PM me after I've tested it and I'll be happy to tell you who they are - the cost is less than that shipping cost alone!

Spent all day trying to get my luup to do all my double click scenes but just would not work. Had enough, so just purchased HomeSeer.
        I then worked out i was missing an 'END' in the code, typical.

Anyway its for the better.

I was looking at the Aeotec Z-Stick and the Z-Wave.Me.

Since i'm in no rush i might wait to see how you go with the Aeotec Z-Stick to make the decision.

Comment

I'm another Vera ex-pat here.

You'll be so much happier with Homeseer than Vera it'll make you mad you didn't do this earlier.

Vera is a toy plastic hammer, and Homeseer is a gas-powered jackhammer.

The only thing I miss from Vera is the Authomation App, but I just bought a seat of HSTouch, and will be able to make my own UI (once I get more time )

I'm using the Homeseer stick, but didn't have to pay that crazy shipping. That's outrageous!

Comment

Hi Nick,

Love that analogy, can't wait to set it up.

Is there a similar thing to 'geofencing', not that I could ever get that working on Vera.

Comment

Is there a similar thing to 'geofencing', not that I could ever get that working on Vera.
              Search the forums for PHLocation.....
              Jon

Comment

Hi Nick,

Love that analogy, can't wait to set it up.

There are a few ways to do "geofencing"

PHLocation is a free plugin that uses different phone apps and works really well.
                Life360 Plugin (I'm developing shameless plug)
                HSBuddy Plugin/App combo just recently added geofencing
                Traccar script works with GPS "units" not phones for geofencing
                Custom scripting of your own

Oh and for the USB stick I bought mine off Amazon... still a HomeSeer SmartStick+ but free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Vera is a toy plastic hammer, and Homeseer is a gas-powered jackhammer.

This is EXACTLY what it is like..... I just wanna post this on the Vera Forum to get all those poor people to emigrate.

VVVVVVVV happy I jumped ship

Comment

Thanks for all the help and tips, should have it running next week. Can't wait to have a play.

Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before Vera uses see the light, hopefully before divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by onepointbrewing View Post
                      This is EXACTLY what it is like..... I just wanna post this on the Vera Forum to get all those poor people to emigrate.
                      I haven't announced my defection yet so I'll happily quote it when I do

Comment

I was looking at the Aeotec Z-Stick and the Z-Wave.Me.

Since i'm in no rush i might wait to see how you go with the Aeotec Z-Stick to make the decision.
                        Okay the Aeotec I've had mixed results. It took quite a few inserts before it would start to work properly. I then had fantastic results using it for a couple of days. However, when I then tested doing a backup, wipe, and restore HomeSeer started having all sorts of problems talking to it. I would then have to unplug it and reinsert to get it going again. It will remain useful as a test device, being a completely portable inclusion/exclusion unit I have some things I'd like to do with it, but there's no way I'm trusting my home to be run by it. This aligns with a few comments I have seen on this forum about the Aeotec Z-Stick too.

Next candidate was the eval unit sent to me by a vendor. This one was an even bigger nightmare - it's a rebadged product and they don't provide any drivers or firmware. To that end I had to hack up another vendor's driver to get it working, and even then I can see it has an older version of the Z-Wave APIs on it 3.xx rather than the latest 6.5 and without firmware updates that's never going to change. So while it worked fantastic, I already know it's a dead end product - heck the 6.5 ZDK has improvements I want.

Now, I've been doing programming and wiring with the Z-UNO product to interface some non-Z-Wave stuff at home. I know they know their stuff, so their UZB stick looks the goods to me. Fully up to date with the latest Z-Wave APIs, firmware updatable, and... it's actually the very stick HomeSeer sell (and include with their O/S model Zee). So that's what I'm going with.

However, as you found, purchasing via HomeSeer is insanely expensive due to the shipping. Purchasing from Australia has a massive premium. Buying from most other places, including Amazon, yields you the wrong frequencies (remembering Australia uses the 921Mhz spectrum).

But look what I found:
                        https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123020614498

Not only much cheaper, but use the PULL5 coupon to bring it down further (or if you scored one of the WISH coupons today use that as applicable).

Hope this helps

Comment

Okay the Aeotec I've had mixed results. It took quite a few inserts before it would start to work properly. I then had fantastic results using it for a couple of days. However, when I then tested doing a backup, wipe, and restore HomeSeer started having all sorts of problems talking to it. I would then have to unplug it and reinsert to get it going again. It will remain useful as a test device, being a completely portable inclusion/exclusion unit I have some things I'd like to do with it, but there's no way I'm trusting my home to be run by it. This aligns with a few comments I have seen on this forum about the Aeotec Z-Stick too.

Next candidate was the eval unit sent to me by a vendor. This one was an even bigger nightmare - it's a rebadged product and they don't provide any drivers or firmware. To that end I had to hack up another vendor's driver to get it working, and even then I can see it has an older version of the Z-Wave APIs on it 3.xx rather than the latest 6.5 and without firmware updates that's never going to change. So while it worked fantastic, I already know it's a dead end product - heck the 6.5 ZDK has improvements I want.

Now, I've been doing programming and wiring with the Z-UNO product to interface some non-Z-Wave stuff at home. I know they know their stuff, so their UZB stick looks the goods to me. Fully up to date with the latest Z-Wave APIs, firmware updatable, and... it's actually the very stick HomeSeer sell (and include with their O/S model Zee). So that's what I'm going with.

However, as you found, purchasing via HomeSeer is insanely expensive due to the shipping. Purchasing from Australia has a massive premium. Buying from most other places, including Amazon, yields you the wrong frequencies (remembering Australia uses the 921Mhz spectrum).

But look what I found:
                          https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123020614498

Not only much cheaper, but use the PULL5 coupon to bring it down further (or if you scored one of the WISH coupons today use that as applicable).

Hope this helps
                          For getting stuff locally in Australia look at:
                          https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/

Zedrally is on this forum and vera forum as well. They are also a HS reseller so you can get HS official stuff at a local cost.

Comment

Okay the Aeotec I've had mixed results.
                            Now, I've been doing programming and wiring with the Z-UNO product to interface some non-Z-Wave stuff at home. I know they know their stuff, so their UZB stick looks the goods to me.
                            Thanks for the feedback on the 3 types. I had read alot of problems with Aeotec, especially with regards to backups.

I ended up purchasing a UZB stick from Smart Home Automation, bit more expensive then your find, but located in Australia so i should get it in a few days.
                            We have a massive premium on absolutly everything electronic down here.

Comment

At least you'll be able to start testing straight away.

I quickly used Windows last week to get testing underway straight away (in hindsight turns out I could have run it directly within my Mac's UNIX, oh well), so I could at least take a punt on buying HomeSeer before the sale ended.

I've now created a Debian install, the required dependencies, and then extracted HomeSeer out of their Pi image and ran that in Debian. This has given me a new test environment to simulate being on a Pi - as that's what I would like to buy and use.

Is up and running, but I won't have a chance to start re-testing and extending my testing for a few nights.

Comment

So i received my ZME Stick today.

I have only transferred a few devices over to have a play. Had no problem adding them, especially with using the Z-tool+ app.

One channel on the Fibaro FGS222 was not updating its status when pressed from the wall switch but could be controlled from homeseer. I worked out the associations were set incorrectly and had the wrong endpoint.

I am finding it annoying that is does not keep a record of the setting values you have changed as you said.
                                I am quite liking the old school HTML interface.

I cant believe the speed when turning the lights on from homeseer, before i have even released the mouse button the light is on.

Comment

Working...
                                X