www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > Plug-ins by Author > Click Here for List of Author Forums > Blade Plug-Ins > BLLAN (3P)

BLLAN (3P) Discussion of BLLAN plug-in

Old June 18th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
With FollowMee off and Geofency on, my BLLAN loses contact with my phone in sleep mode.

Therefore, for me, it's FollowMee that is keeping my iPhone 5s pingable and that works for me.
Thank you so much for your efforts to test this out. I tested Followmee and btraced on my phone this morning. With either one on or just one on, BLLAN still says the iphone is off. I haven't used followmee or btraced in months, but just tested it out. My followmee Track Interval is set at 10min?

Randy were you able to duplicate cheeryfool's findings.
HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Thank you so much for your efforts to test this out. I tested Followmee and btraced on my phone this morning. With either one on or just one on, BLLAN still says the iphone is off. I haven't used followmee or btraced in months, but just tested it out. My followmee Track Interval is set at 10min?

Here are my FollowMee settings in case there's anything majorly different from your's.
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Seer Master

GOT IT WORKING! Thanks for this Cheeryfool. You should work for the NIH and cure some diseases
I've looked at BLLAN off and on since HS2 and never figured this out.
The only thing different with my followmee setting were Tracking Interval: 10mins and Power Saving Mode: High
I played with both and what make BLLAN see the iphone is if Tracking Interval is set at 5min or less. Power Saving Mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blade you may want to add this note for iphone users. Using followmee with Tracking interval set to 5min or less makes the iphone visible to BLLAN. Thanks for this great plugin!
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:53 PM
OverSeer

Quote:

Yes, FollowMee is the one that keeps WiFi alive on my phone. Tracking interval 2 minutes.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
GOT IT WORKING! Thanks for this Cheeryfool. You should work for the NIH and cure some diseases
I've looked at BLLAN off and on since HS2 and never figured this out.
The only thing different with my followmee setting were Tracking Interval: 10mins and Power Saving Mode: High
I played with both and what make BLLAN see the iphone is if Tracking Interval is set at 5min or less. Power Saving Mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blade you may want to add this note for iphone users. Using followmee with Tracking interval set to 5min or less makes the iphone visible to BLLAN. Thanks for this great plugin!

Great. Happy to help.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks for your input, cherryfool! I'm not a user of followmee. Looks interesting, though I'm a bit leery about privacy concerns, higher battery usage, and last but not least, if my wife wouldn't mind having an app on her iPhone so I can track her every move! I actually use Apple's Find Friends and it manges to provide its service while consuming little power. It seems less obtrusive when sitting in other people's phones. However, with Find Friends, if you stop using the phone, ping stops working. The phone is still doing work (such as getting emails) so it is accessible. Just not ping. There must be a way apple communicates to other devices and for other devices to tell if the iPhone is there. Maybe Bonjour/mDNS protocol. I'll need to do more research if there's an alternative to just running ping to determine the presence of an iPhone
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Seer Master

So I've moved on to the next step to set up events for my iphone's virtual device. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the virtual devices status does not change.

Here are the events:
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
So I've moved on to the next step to set up events for my iphone's virtual device. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the virtual devices status does not change.

Here are the events:

What are you trying to do?

I have events that key directly off the status change of the BLLAN device for my iPhone.
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Seer Master

Ok I didn't realize that BLLAN creates a devices directly. Some of Blade's plugin's seem like you had to set up a virtual device for state(don't remember for sure).
Ok in events
Device Value Is > This Device Changes and Becomes > Choose Tom's iPhone(created by BLLAN) > the only options I get are
1. custom value or value range
2. Set to "Any Value"
3. An Invalid or Error State

So this is why I thought I had to create a virtual device first. There is no "ON" in the last option for me?
Old June 20th, 2015, 09:00 AM
OverSeer

1 is on and 0 is off I believe.
Old June 20th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
1 is on and 0 is off I believe.

Yes. And if you set status text you should see those.
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Seer Master

Ok thanks guys, those values weren't set in the device so thats why the on/off didn't show up.. Don't know if they were supposed to be in there or set up by user. In any case thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Seer Deluxe

The iPhone sends out mDNS packets every few minutes. Not sure what it does when sleeping, but it doesn't really sleep anyway given that it continues to receive notifications and email when not in active use. There's some free Bonjour monitors, and I want to observe how often and when the iPhone sends mDNS packets. If reliable, this would be more reliable than using ping, which will not work unless you're using an app that keeps the iPhone in a certain state (maybe a higher power usage state). That would be a good enhancement for BLLAN. Meanwhile, if there is a simple Bonjour app that can be run in the HomeSeer PC to detect an iPhone, then a simple call to HS3's JSON API to run an on/off type of HS3 event can be used to turn a virtual occupancy device on or off.
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
The iPhone sends out mDNS packets every few minutes. Not sure what it does when sleeping, but it doesn't really sleep anyway given that it continues to receive notifications and email when not in active use. There's some free Bonjour monitors, and I want to observe how often and when the iPhone sends mDNS packets. If reliable, this would be more reliable than using ping, which will not work unless you're using an app that keeps the iPhone in a certain state (maybe a higher power usage state). That would be a good enhancement for BLLAN. Meanwhile, if there is a simple Bonjour app that can be run in the HomeSeer PC to detect an iPhone, then a simple call to HS3's JSON API to run an on/off type of HS3 event can be used to turn a virtual occupancy device on or off.

Have you tried WireShark? I haven't yet for this, but currently reasonably happy with having FollowMee keep the phone awake enough for Ping.
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:32 AM
OverSeer

Just a heads up guys. There was a new version pushed out.

Code:
  • Changed ON value for device to 100.
I'm as of yet unsure of this will effect existing events. I hope not.

I'm moving slowly from BLLan to jjon00's network monitor any way. And that has the same issues with iphones.
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Have you tried WireShark? I haven't yet for this, but currently reasonably happy with having FollowMee keep the phone awake enough for Ping.
I haven't tried it but I read it can detect mDNS. Wondering it it has a way that f calling a script. I'll check it out.
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:39 AM
OverSeer

Just noticed somethign else in the change log.

Code:
  • Added ability to perform an HTTP HEAD for a computer instead of a ping.
I'm not entirely sure what this means but could this be a better way to track iphones?
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Just noticed somethign else in the change log.

Code:
  • Added ability to perform an HTTP HEAD for a computer instead of a ping.
I'm not entirely sure what this means but could this be a better way to track iphones?
Not sure but it sounds like it only applies to computers running an http server.
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
I don't currently use a GPS tracking device, and my wife may not like it on her iPhone :-).
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Seer

Anyone using this method with an Android phone for presence tracking?

My phone stops responding to ping requests after about 15 minutes of having the screen off. Cannot find a way to fix it! Anyone have something?