Ecolink Devices Show "Silent"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few Ecolink battery devices that show 'silent'. One day they report and the next day they do not. It repeats this cycle.

Anyone have these and they exhibit this behavior?

Edit: It appears that the PI tries to check the battery at 13 hours and a minute or so after the previous days check. So if it checked the battery yesterday at 4:40 PM it tries to check it again at 5:41 AM the next morning which is 13 hours and some change. I have the battery poll times for each of the sensors at 11 hours and 30 min (ex.) and the next one at 11 hours and 31 min and so on.

Why is it missing the next day poll?
    Last edited by cowinger; January 8, 2018, 02:46 PM.

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
    I have a few Ecolink battery devices that show 'silent'. One day they report and the next day they do not. It repeats this cycle.

Anyone have these and they exhibit this behavior?

Edit: It appears that the PI tries to check the battery at 13 hours and a minute or so after the previous days check. So if it checked the battery yesterday at 4:40 PM it tries to check it again at 5:41 AM the next morning which is 13 hours and some change. I have the battery poll times for each of the sensors at 11 hours and 30 min (ex.) and the next one at 11 hours and 31 min and so on.

Why is it missing the next day poll?
    I presume from you referring to 'Silent' that you have the pi set to monitor these devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. In this mode the pi will check the last change dates of all the child devices at the period you have set in the pi.

I'm not familiar with Ecolink devices but if they are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices then it is far better to let the pi monitor 'WakeUps' in the log. It is then not dependent on the vagaries or overheads of Z-Wave polling. If you have 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' checked on the Z-Wave configuration page do you not get WakeUp messages in the log for the nodes of these devices?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
      I presume from you referring to 'Silent' that you have the pi set to monitor these devices using 'Activity Monitoring'. In this mode the pi will check the last change dates of all the child devices at the period you have set in the pi.
      Yes I have all of my battery devices selected.

I'm not familiar with Ecolink devices but if they are typical Z-Wave non-listening devices then it is far better to let the pi monitor 'WakeUps' in the log. It is then not dependent on the vagaries or overheads of Z-Wave polling. If you have 'Log Poll and Wake-Up messages' checked on the Z-Wave configuration page do you not get WakeUp messages in the log for the nodes of these devices?
      Yes that box is checked. I do see messages in the log that say a 'device was recovered from a missed wake-up state'. Also in the log are entries that say a particular node was 'added to the message queue for processing'.

This morning all but one of the ecolink devices have reported again. This would follow what I said about them skipping a day. I will see if tomorrow morning they show 'missed' again.

Comment

Yes I have all of my battery devices selected.
        If the devices are non-listening devices you shouldn't need to select them for Activity Monitoring, they should be detected when they wake-up and monitoring devices automatically created. That said if a device has been selected for Activity Monitoring and then the pi detects a wake-up it should automatically deselect it from Activity Monitoring and change the monitoring child to Wake-up monitoring. There seems to be something odd here. Is 'Monitoring log for Wake-ups: selected on the SDJ-Health config page? It should be by default.

Yes that box is checked. I do see messages in the log that say a 'device was recovered from a missed wake-up state'. Also in the log are entries that say a particular node was 'added to the message queue for processing'.

This morning all but one of the ecolink devices have reported again. This would follow what I said about them skipping a day. I will see if tomorrow morning they show 'missed' again.
        Unless you have any significant battery readings logged for the devices that you want to keep I suggest that you deselect them all from the 'Select Devices that require Activity Checking' list on the config page and then delete the monitoring child devices (NOTE only delete the child devices that are created by SDJ-Health don't delete any actual devices). Then let the pi create the monitoring devices automatically as each node wakes-up. Note this might take some time depending on the wake-up period you have set for each devices. The first time a device wakes the monitoring child should be created with a status of 'Waiting'. The next time it wakes up the pi will calculate the sleep period and the status will change to 'Healthy'. As long as the device keeps waking up it will stay healthy. No polling is involved in this.

Let me know how this works out.

Steve

Comment

OK, 'Monitoring Log for Wake-ups was checked. I have deleted all child devices from below the Health Root. The config shows NO devices selected under 'require polling' and 'require activity checking'.

From here I assume it is a waiting game to see what shows up?

So I am looking for a child device to be created and look for it to say wake-up monitoring, waiting, then healthy?

Comment

OK, 'Monitoring Log for Wake-ups was checked. I have deleted all child devices from below the Health Root. The config shows NO devices selected under 'require polling' and 'require activity checking'.

From here I assume it is a waiting game to see what shows up?

So I am looking for a child device to be created and look for it to say wake-up monitoring, waiting, then healthy?

Comment

Great! Last time it showed 3 devices in the 'requires polling' section. Will they show up as well in the list?

Comment

Great! Last time it showed 3 devices in the 'requires polling' section. Will they show up as well in the list?
                If it used to say '3 devices selected' in the 'Devices Requiring Polling' section of the config page then that indicates you had manually selected 3 devices from the dropdown list of possible devices. That monitoring method is only required for certain devices that can't be monitored by wakeups or heartbeats and they have to be selected manually. Please refer to 'Methods of Monitoring Devices' on page 5 of the guide where I explain the 4 different methods of monitoring. A typical device that you might want to monitor by polling would be a battery powered siren. These are listening devices as they need to be always awake to respond to a command. Seeing as they don't log wake-ups the pi can't pick them up automatically. What particular devices had you previously selected in this section?

Steve

Comment

If it used to say '3 devices selected' in the 'Devices Requiring Polling' section of the config page then that indicates you had manually selected 3 devices from the dropdown list of possible devices. That monitoring method is only required for certain devices that can't be monitored by wakeups or heartbeats and they have to be selected manually. Please refer to 'Methods of Monitoring Devices' on page 5 of the guide where I explain the 4 different methods of monitoring. A typical device that you might want to monitor by polling would be a battery powered siren. These are listening devices as they need to be always awake to respond to a command. Seeing as they don't log wake-ups the pi can't pick them up automatically. What particular devices had you previously selected in this section?

Steve
                  You nailed that on the head. The 3 devices were 2 Dome Sirens and a Vision Siren. So those 3 are OK I assume to poll like before?

Comment

You nailed that on the head. The 3 devices were 2 Dome Sirens and a Vision Siren. So those 3 are OK I assume to poll like before?

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X