Poor Man's Home Audio Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
    Must have already sold darn it. Only one I find is 100 + shipping.
    I think so, that was the only one I could find also.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Someone already mentioned this....

I have 5 Google home/mini around the house. Creating multiple groups, you can have one or many play at the same time.

Alternatively, you can pop a mini open, solder a couple rca wires into the speaker output and put those into your receiver for louder output. Add some line out converter so u can adjust the gains so it doesn't clip.

Comment

I'm going to try Chromecast Audio and Grace Digital CastDock X2. I'll report back on what I find.
        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Wow it sold fast. Yeah I have purchased the Cisco Openpeak devices for $20 to $30.

As it is sold it is a brick unless you know about upgrading it; such that it is not worth $100.

There are a few O2 Jogglers on the UK Ebay website. They are even cheaper than $35.

Updating the three Openpeak models: IE: O2 Joggler, Openpeak 1 or 2 is identical with the USB boot stick.

These also run Windows or Android or Linux via USB stick.

Here modded mine replacing the EFI boot bios to a Seabios (x86) and an SSD drive - (only the Openpeak 1's) for windows booting.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Update 1:

Connected up the speakers with the Chromecasts, got them connected to my google account and created an "upstairs Audio" group.

The sound from the Grace Digital CastDock X2 speaker is "OK", but I wasn't expecting a lot from a 100 speaker. The audio sync between the 2 speakers was excellent, with no noticeable offset. Even when one speaker would "glitch" they still stayed perfectly synced.

I figured out how to 'cast' music from Plex via the Chrome browser on my computer, and that's about it.

I tried on my phone, but that didn't seem work nearly as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to get HS integrated, although it does seem like I'm stuck with Plex via the Chrome browser to cast my local media...????
            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
              Update 1:

Now I just need to figure out how to get HS integrated, although it does seem like I'm stuck with Plex via the Chrome browser to cast my local media...????
              You can install the Plex Media Player software on a Windows computer and use it to cast local music to the Chromecast Audio. I use Plex that way with five of the Chromecasts around the house, where I have a zone for each floor or a 'whole house' zone to play on all of them.

I also sometimes use my Android tablet with Plex on it to talk to the Chromecasts, and do not have to start Chrome up at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert1 View Post
                You can install the Plex Media Player software on a Windows computer and use it to cast local music to the Chromecast Audio. I use Plex that way with five of the Chromecasts around the house, where I have a zone for each floor or a 'whole house' zone to play on all of them.

I also sometimes use my Android tablet with Plex on it to talk to the Chromecasts, and do not have to start Chrome up at any time.

Ok that's strange, I'm using the latest PMP version (Plex Pass) and don't get any players to show up. So I did a brief search, and found some Plex documentation that said it was only available via the web player using chrome.

What do I need to do to get PMP to see the Chromecasts?
                Attached Files
                RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                  What do I need to do to get PMP to see the Chromecasts?
                  I was going to add that I have the Chromecast Audio and if I am playing a video in Plex it also does not list any players available. If I am playing music I then saw the players available.

However, I went to check mine tonight and a recent update must have changed it. With the Plex App on Windows 10 I don't see the Chromecasts now, but I can still cast to them from the Plex app on Android, or from Chrome on Windows 10. Not sure why I don't see them now in their app, I have the lifetime Plex Pass also.

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert1 View Post
                    I was going to add that I have the Chromecast Audio and if I am playing a video in Plex it also does not list any players available. If I am playing music I then saw the players available.

However, I went to check mine tonight and a recent update must have changed it. With the Plex App on Windows 10 I don't see the Chromecasts now, but I can still cast to them from the Plex app on Android, or from Chrome on Windows 10. Not sure why I don't see them now in their app, I have the lifetime Plex Pass also.
                    Thanks, I was hoping for better news but at least I'm not going crazy..
                    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                    X