No announcement yet.

In Car Garage Door Opener - Z-Wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info. Has it been reliable. I was trying to do this with a 635lm liftmaster universal garage opener receiver wired to a z-wave door/window switch but it seems it is only momentary and not enough time to trigger anything.
    Did you need a separate remote to program the homelink in the car. The 635lm would not learn the homelink from the car without the homelink first being programmed with a working remote. I had to buy a liftmaster remote to program the homelink even though it was rolling codes and the manual doesn't mention it.
    So do I need to buy a separate WD remote?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Originally posted by djdzam View Post
    Thanks to Homeseer support and countless attempts and failures I got this to work WITHOUT BUYING A LAMP MODULE!!!!!!!

So this is how you do it. A moderator will probably want to make this a sticky in the how to section of the forum. Please note that all of these procedures are done with the WDHA-12 unplugged from the wall. It will not program while plugged into the wall. It has batteries like the troller and z-stick to program while unplugged.

1. Clear the memory of the WDHA-12. Hold all 3 scene buttons until they flash rapidly. The flash is not continuing it just flashes quickly and then turns off.

2. Add the WDHA-12 to your z-wave network. Get within a few feet of the z-wave interface (troller or aeon stick or whatever) hold down the copy button and the scene 1 button until the lights flash.

3. In the z-wave management section of Homeseer push the replicate send button. Wait until Homeseer says it is done. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for good measure. Read this somewhere.

4. Once it is on the network, hold down scene button 1 until the light turns on, then off, then on again.

5. While the light is still on and you have the button held down, on the z-wave management interface in Homeseer hit the Include button. It is at the bottom of the page in the advanced section. The WDHA-12 should blink.

6. Go to the z-wave node information page to find out the z-wave node number assigned to the WDHA-12 gateway. Should be the last number. The gateway is listed as GENERIC CONTROLLER and the speed is 9.6kbps.

7. Go to the devices page in Homeseer. Find the dumbest switch you have. I believe any z-wave binary switch will do. Check the box next to the device, go to the bottom of the page, hit the drop down box to make a copy of the binary switch.

8. Once it is created, go to that device and modify the letter/unit code to be something unique from other devices. Mine was Q67. Set the z-wave node number to the number you found for the WDHA-12 in the node information page.

9. If you have the key fob remote for the WDHA-12 to program it hold down the scene 1 button on the WDHA-12 until the light turns on then off. Let go of the button when it turns off then hit the button on the remote that you want to use for that scene. If the light on the gateway goes on, then off, then on again, you held the button down too long.

10. In your car with Homelink, hold down the Honelink button you want to assign until it blinks slow. You have to hold it a long time if the button was already programmed with another remote. If the button is blank it will blink slow instantly. While holding the button on homelink and it is blinking slow, hold down the button on the WD remote you just programmed until the homelink lights blinks fast.

11. On the WDHA-12, just as you programmed the WD remote, program the homelink button. Hold down the scene button on the WDHA-12 until it turns on, then off. Let go of the button. Then hit the button on the homelink and the WDHA-12 should flash.

12. Profit from my misery as I journeyed through the pain to get this device to work!!!! When you hit the button on the gateway or the remote, the device you just copied will turn on!!! Just use that to trigger an event. In that event have it turn the device off when it is done so you can trigger it again later!!!

The only downfall is, Homeseer can only register 1 device. So if you include Homeseer in scene 2 or 3, it will always trigger that one device. So for instance I programmed my outside gate to work on scene 1. I want scene 2 and 3 to light up different lights outside. If I include Homeseer in those scenes, it will trigger the gate too. Not terrible but it is a working solution for me!

Woot!!!!

Comment

It works great. So far it has the greatest range I have ever seen in a garage door opener. Yes you do have to buy one of the WD remotes to get it working. They are dirt cheap though. You just need to program the remote to the WD gateway, then learn it on the homelink in the car, then learn the homelink to the WD gateway. Takes like 1 min for the whole process.

Comment

Hi -

Thanks for posting this detailed setup guide for the WDHA-12. I'm using HS3 and I followed the steps and got the thing to show up in the ZWave plugin node list as a generic controller (node 10). I've tried to copy a switch (I have an appliance module I was using), but once I copy it, I'm not sure how to update the ZWave node number. When I go to the ZWave tab of the copied device it tells me that it was not created by the ZWave plugin. Any idea how to get this thing associated with the right ZWave node (and also is it OK that it's showing as a controller - your directions seemed to indicate that was expected).

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I bought homeseer 3 but haven't taken the plunge on installing it. When I get to that point maybe I can offer some help. I am sure there has to be a way to adjust it. If not maybe a database hack.

Comment

Has anyone been able to get this to work on HS3?

Comment

Also chiming in on the zombie thread - I've had a WDHA-12 working reliably with a Vera Lite for years now, and migrated over to HS3 this week. Only problem is that it seems to not want to play nice with the Wayne Dalton remote...all I get is:

"Error: The device Node 27 Z-Wave Sigma Generic Controller is not a normally listening node, and an attempt to communicate with it has failed. To use the functions on this page, please make sure the device is awake and ready to receive a command prior to selecting the function buttons below."

How was Vera able to handle all three buttons, but HS3 can only handle 1? I feel like we all might have missed something in going the inclusion button route...

Comment

Working...
              X