Simple scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple scenario

Hi - I have my Sonos successfully configured, and I want to create a very simple event.

If music is paused on my kitchen speaker, I want to resume playing when I double tap my homeseer switch. If it's not playing, I want to play something (ideally a radio station or playlist on Amazon Music).

Two questions:
    1. It seems I have to make two distinct events for this - one if sonos is playing and one if it's not. That's super cumbersome. Is there an easier way?
    2. How do I specify to play a specific playlist or station on Amazon Music?

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
    Hi - I have my Sonos successfully configured, and I want to create a very simple event.

If music is paused on my kitchen speaker, I want to resume playing when I double tap my homeseer switch. If it's not playing, I want to play something (ideally a radio station or playlist on Amazon Music).

Two questions:
    1. It seems I have to make two distinct events for this - one if sonos is playing and one if it's not. That's super cumbersome. Is there an easier way?
    2. How do I specify to play a specific playlist or station on Amazon Music?
    You will need two events. HS events cannot branch off to different actions within the same event. It will take no longer to build two events than it would to provide two different flows within the same event, if that was an option. Just consider each event a different subroutine, it is not "super cumbersome". The two events below took me about a minute to build.

The Sonos PI learns your radio stations and playlists and they can be chosen with a "Sonos Action" in your event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1193120

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1193121
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick replies - when I said it was cumbersome I meant it bloats the list of events I have. But at least now I know I need to do it.

When you say it "learns radio stations and playlists".....what is the source of info for learning? My dropdowns on play station and play playlist are still empty despite me using my sonos a healthy amount.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick replies - when I said it was cumbersome I meant it bloats the list of events I have. But at least now I know I need to do it.

When you say it "learns radio stations and playlists".....what is the source of info for learning? My dropdowns on play station and play playlist are still empty despite me using my sonos a healthy amount.

Thanks again.
        I’m at 1500+ Events, bloat? You could also say that an event with multiple paths is a bloated event.

Seriously, it doesn’t hurt anything to have a large number of events. With careful naming and categories it is very manageable.

Radio stations are only learned if you have “Learn Radiostations” checked on the plug-in config page.

Comment

Thanks - I have learn radio stations checked...but still no dice on playlists or stations. Other advice/troubleshooting?

Agree since this is the way events work then clearly careful naming and grouping is the only way to go -- though it's tough to have a name/grouping scheme without first setting it up and then getting it wrong :P. Are there any good posts or schemes that folks have discussed here I can use to educate myself and use as a starting point for what I might want? I'm going to have about 50 light switches; I'm going to want almost all (or all) to do the same thing when I double tap down and triple tap down. And all of those are likely going to be dependent on a) whether sonos is playing or not, b) a virtual device that will control what it should start playing if it's not already playing something, c) time of day.

Comment

Thanks - I have learn radio stations checked...but still no dice on playlists or stations. Other advice/troubleshooting?

Agree since this is the way events work then clearly careful naming and grouping is the only way to go -- though it's tough to have a name/grouping scheme without first setting it up and then getting it wrong :P. Are there any good posts or schemes that folks have discussed here I can use to educate myself and use as a starting point for what I might want? I'm going to have about 50 light switches; I'm going to want almost all (or all) to do the same thing when I double tap down and triple tap down. And all of those are likely going to be dependent on a) whether sonos is playing or not, b) a virtual device that will control what it should start playing if it's not already playing something, c) time of day.
            The radio stations are populated as you use them. Mine have grown as I use the devices. Yes, we have very eclectic tastes.

Name:	Capture3.png
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1193131

From the manual:

Learn Internet Radio Stations feature
            The plug-in can also “learn” radio stations. Services such as Pandora are supported by Sonos but the player does not advertise any information, like the radio stations. When you turn the “Learn RadioStations” option “on”, the Plug-in will store radio station information for Pandora, LastFm, Sirius and Rhapsody each time you select that radio station. Once learned it will be added to the MusicDB and subsequently will show up in the list of Radio stations or Playlists. At this point I haven’t included an option to “delete” learned info, one way is to delete the file under <HS root>\html\Sonos\MusicDB\SonosRadioStationDB.mdb and start relearning. If you have MicroSoft Access then you can manually delete stations.

With regard to Event grouping and naming, it is easy to rename Events, Event Groups and to move Events between groups. Mine has just evolved with use. HomeSeer will present an error if two events have the same name. For example, I have a Sonos group for events that control or are controlled by Sonos Actions. I precede the event name with the Sonos zone, then the purpose of the event. I use shorthand for zones. In the screenshot below "DSB" is downstairs bathroom and "LR" is living room. DSB Online controls a virtual device that lets my TTS script know if a particular zone is connected. DSB offline controls the same virtual device. I also employ arduino controlled speaker switching allowing my CONNECT:AMPs to feed either or both of two speaker pairs. Announcements can be sent to either or both, regardless of where we are listening.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1193128

If you click on an Event Group name, you can change it. Same with event names. Events can be moved among existing groups or to a brand new one within the event

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1193130

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1193129

Comment

Thanks very much - the info on the events helps quite a bit.

Maybe we've been talking past each other on the radio stations/playlists....

All of my playlists and "stations" are from the Amazon Music service. And before that, I used Spotify.

Are those services supported by the plugin such that when I play a playlist from one of them (or what they call stations) then the plugin learns?

As a secondary question - I've gone through the manual (would be great to have a link to that on the config page fwiw).....another question -- is there a way to test for whether a speaker is linked to others (and/or which it is linked to)? One scenario I have is that if a player is not playing, before I start playing I need to make sure it's not currently linked to a bedroom zone for fear of waking someone up.

Comment

My Amazon stations show as "Learned", Sirius and Pandora are shown with the service name.

The manual is linked on the HomeSeer help page, along with most other help files.

I do not believe the plug-in can change players that are grouped from an app. There is no indication within the plug-in interface as to current linking of players and there is no control for creating or deleting grouped speakers. The plug-in only uses its own "linkgroups" and they are independent of the Sonos grouping. I may be missing something that Dirk can clarify, but I don't deal with groups within the plugin.

Comment

Roger on the grouping and the help link.

Can you provide more troubleshooting ideas for how to solve the playlist/station problem? Here's what I see.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Roger on the grouping and the help link.

Can you provide more troubleshooting ideas for how to solve the playlist/station problem? Here's what I see.
                    That event is for a playlist which you must create in Sonos. I have only created 1 and it shows under the playlist Action. Have you created any Sonos playlists? The radio station Action is different and looks like I posted screenshots of above. I use Pandora, Amazon and Sirius for streaming and every one I have played has created a radio station entry.
                    Last edited by randy; November 19, 2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Yes - I have several sonos playlists. I still don't see them there. here is sonos and my playlist / station dropdown from HS.

So I still see three problems.
                      1) Sonos playlists aren't showing up in HS
                      2) It's not clear to me how I trigger a playlist from Amazon Music or from Spotify
                      3) Amazon and Spotify stations aren't showing up in HS.

I'm happy to try things to help troubleshoot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes - I have several sonos playlists. I still don't see them there. here is sonos and my playlist / station dropdown from HS.

So I still see three problems.
                        1) Sonos playlists aren't showing up in HS
                        2) It's not clear to me how I trigger a playlist from Amazon Music or from Spotify
                        3) Amazon and Spotify stations aren't showing up in HS.

I'm happy to try things to help troubleshoot.
                        What version of the plug-in are you using? Is one of the database update flags set?

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1193141

WRT Amazon playlists, I am not sure if they are learned as I haven't used them. I will experiment and let you know.

An another note, I did find "Link" and "Unlink" under Sonos Actions and it will create or remove Grouping as controlled from the Sonos App. It should do what you want for removing a linked speaker.

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1193143

Comment

Immediate Update Flag wasn't set. I checked it but doesn't seem to make a difference. Version number is: 3.0.0.21
                          Attached Files

Comment

Immediate Update Flag wasn't set. I checked it but doesn't seem to make a difference. Version number is: 3.0.0.21
                            Try the beta 3.1.0.22 (under beta in the updater). The 3.0.0.XX versions are due to be deprecated and didn't work properly for me. I have been using the beta for over a year.

Either "Auto update" or "Immediate update" need to be enabled for the database to update. Immediate update, constantly updates and Auto does it on a schedule. You can also update it mannually or through an event with the Sonos master device.
                            Last edited by randy; November 19, 2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I am not sure, but I remember Dirk recommending starting over when installing the beta. Disable the plug-in, delete the HS devices and the Sonos config file, then update and enable. You will have to rebuild any events used by the plug-in.

Comment

Working...
                              X