40kbps vs 9.6kbps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40kbps vs 9.6kbps

What is the advantage of 40kbps over 9.6kbps? Or should I care at all?

Sorry if it is here someplace, but I did look for quite a while.

Steve

One big adavntage is the throughput while polling.

Comment

Originally posted by WSeverino View Post
      One big adavntage is the throughput while polling.
      I guess that I can see it would be faster, but I can't quite see how it is a big advantage. Polling simply tells HS what the status is of the switch. Are there really cases where HS finding out a few hundred millisedonds sooner makes a difference? I'm not arguing, I just don't know that I understand.

Steve

Comment

Series 1 and Series 2 (ZW0201 Chips) are 9.6 k - Series 3 (ZW0301) is 9.6k and 40k - the series 3 chips allowed for battery operated devices(lower power consumption and battery monitoring). I have both speed devices in my network (ex: Vizia RF 9.6k and Vizia RF + 40k) I don't see any difference in how the devices update HS as far as instant status goes.

Comment

Thanks kaldoon. So if nothing else, it sounds like 40kbps at least indicates newer (3rd gen) products. I guess that's good by itself.

Are the 40kbps chips inherently lower power? I would guess that has more to do with them being newer than it is because they work at 40kbps.

Steve

Comment

Regarding polling it really depends how big your network. I have 50+ devices on mine I can tell you if you poll all nodes you can congest the network. You want as fast as possible.

Comment

Yes the Series 3 chips take less power to operate then the Series 2(start of battery operation) or the Series 1 chips.

The Rf Transceiver on the Series 3 chip is able to transmit and receive 9.6k data and 40k bit data simultaneously enabling systems where both speeds are used.

Comment

Working...
              X