Help with Digi PortServer TS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Digi PortServer TS

I have a Digi PortServer TS 8 and a TS 16 that I bought from different sources, and I'm having trouble getting either to work properly. I've seen a few of you talk about it, so I'm hoping you might have some tips.

I'm trying to connect via the first serial port to my laptop. I've tried a number of different cables, including building one myself following the guide on Digi's website. All I get though is a string of garbage characters over the serial port. I've tried all different baud rates with the same results. I've set both units back to factory defaults as well.

If I connect the ethernet cable I see it issue RARP requests but I'm not sure how to set up a RARP server to give it an IP address. Can any of you help shed some light on this?

Thanks
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

I just wanted to follow this thread up and say that I've gotten both of my PortServers working and my ZTroller is now connected and running great.

I ended up having to give it an IP address using rarpd on a Linux box. Once that was done I was able to log in via telnet and configure it. If anyone's interested I can post a howto here.
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Having one of these on order right now, I think that it could be a helpful reference and may be easier to do now since it's fresh in your mind. Thanks

Comment

Well, I did a little more research and experimentation before writing this post and wish I had found this info sooner!

It's actually pretty simple to configure a Digi PortServer TS 8 or 16 from Windows (or any OS for that matter) without RARPD or any other software.

Here are the steps for Windows:

1. Reset the PortServer to factory defaults. Hold in the reset button (white dot under the digi logo on front panel) with the power off. Power on the device and continue holding the button for 60 seconds.
        2. Release the button and wait up to 2 minutes for the device to boot. The PWR light should be flashing indicating that the unit is looking for an IP address.
        3. Create a static entry in your local ARP table. You'll need the MAC address of the PortServer (found on the sticker on bottom of the device) and the IP address you want to assign.
        4. At a Windows command prompt enter:
          arp -s y.y.y.y 00-40-xx-xx-xx-xx
          where the second parameter is the mac address and y.y.y.y is the IP address you want to assign.
        5. At the Windows command prompt type ping y.y.y.y and hit enter.
        6. The ping will timeout. Keep repeating this for up to 2-3 minutes. Eventually you'll get a successful reply.
        7. The device is now assigned the IP address y.y.y.y. You can point your web browser to it or telnet to that address to continue conifguration.

For general information on configuring the device once it has an IP Google will provide you with many guides. The Digi website is also a good source of information.
        Last edited by reidfo; February 28, 2012, 07:31 PM. Reason: Error in arp command syntax

Comment

Reid,

Great devices. Used a Digi PortServer TS 16 before doing the Edgeport stuff. Its still sitting in my HA "parts" stack of stuff. Mine has the 10 base 2 (coaxial) and RJ-45 port on the side of it; its very old (early 1990's I believe). I remember making up cables for it way back; looking they are no anywhere near the box though.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X