Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Run These Oregon Scientific Sensors At The Same Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Run These Oregon Scientific Sensors At The Same Time?

I am going to purchase the RFXrec433 USB receiver to use with Oregon Scientific sensors.

My question is, how many total Oregon Scientific sensors can I use with the RFXrec433?

I would like to use the following:

Qty 10 - THGR810 (Temperature & Humidity Sensor)
    Qty 1 - THGN801 (Outdoor Temperature & Humidity Sensor)
    Qty 1 - PCR800 (Rain Gauge)
    Qty 1 - WGR800 (Wind Speed and Direction)

Is it possible for me to use all 13 of these sensors together at the same time with the RFXrec433 USB receiver?

Thanks for your help.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

this configuration will operate.
    The THGR810 has 10 channels so you can use up to 10 of this THGR810 and in addition the other sensors.

Comment

That is great! I will go ahead and purchase the RFXrec433 and start buying the sensors. I assume I will need the RFXCom plug-in to work with this right?

I have a W800RF32A and use the AC-RF2 Plug-In for it. I do not know if that plug-in will work with the RFXrec433.

Thanks for the quick response!
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

It was planed that the ACRF2 would also support the RFXrec433.
        You can use the RFXCOM plug-in at least for free during the trial period. Or if you like to use the free RFXCharts you will need the RFXCOM plug-in.

Comment

I placed my order for both the RFXrec433 USB receiver and the RFXCOM plug-in as well.

I will start with my plans to order the 13 sensors we talked about:
          • Qty 10 - THGR810 (Temperature & Humidity Sensor)
          • Qty 1 - THGN801 (Outdoor Temperature & Humidity Sensor)
          • Qty 1 - PCR800 (Rain Gauge)
          • Qty 1 - WGR800 (Wind Speed and Direction)

My question is, if I want more Temperature sensors on top of the 13 sensors listed above, is that possible? I do not care about the type of Temperature sensor as long as it will work with your RFXrec433 USB receiver. Maybe there are other Oregon Scientific temperature sensors what will work in conjunction with the 13 sensors listed above?

How many more temperature sensors can I add and what are the model numbers I need to order?

Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to using your product.
          jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Jean-Marie,

See the explanation about maximum number of Oregon sensors at http://www.rfxcom.com/oregon.htm#Oregon

Bert

Comment

Bert,

Thanks very much for the response. I have seen that chart before but what I have not been able to really understand is the following:

Is it the Category that limits the number of sensors? In other words, I can have a maximum of Qty. 3 "TEMP1" sensors, regardless of which "TEMP1" sensors they are? If this is the case, what is the maximum number of sensors for each category?

Or is the number of sensors limited by the by the specific model of the sensor? In other words, I can have Qty. 10 "THGR810" but only Qty. 1 "THGN801" even though they are both in the "TH2" category. This does not make sense to me if this is the case. What is the purpose of the sensor category if this were the case?

Thanks for help in understanding the chart so that I can better understand the quantities how many Oregon Scientific sensors and their compatibility with each other.

Jean-Marie
              jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Let me explain the reason why it is better not to have multiple sensors in the same category set to the same channel.
                If sensors transmit at the same time there will be a collision of the RF signals and the sensors are not received than.
                If you configure each TH1 to a different channel (type does not matter) they will never transmit for a longer time at exact the same time and do not disturb each other.
                For example: The sensors in a category TH1 set to channel 1 transmit every 1:00 minute, channel 2 every 1:01 minute, channel 3 every 1:02 minute .... It can happen now that sensors transmit at the time and are not received but the at the next interval they will be out of sync and the sensors are received again.

There is always a very little difference in the interval time between sensors.
                If you set 2 TH1 sensors to the same channel they are most probably not in sync but... after some time they will transmit in sync for several hours and both sensors are not received during this period.

So do not configure multiple sensors in the same category on the same channel even if they are of a different type.

Comment

Bret, thanks so much for the explanation. I think for the first time I am starting to understand but not quite completely.

From what you have described, the "channels" that a sensor can have is not a "channel" in the usual frequency range use is it? The way that Oregon Scientific uses the "channel" is to denote the update interval for the sensor, right?

Does that mean at ALL Oregon Scientific sensors transmit on EXACTLY the same frequency and that anytime any two or more sensors transmit at the same time, then regardless of "channel" the transmissions will interfere with each other?

If that is the case, then I still do not understand what difference the "category" of a sensor makes? Does the category just denote the rough timescale of how often the sensors in that category transmit updates?

I am sorry for asking all these questions, I am really trying hard to understand how the Oregon Scientific sensors work so I can make the right choices in what I buy and how they are configured.
                  jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

I have had 20 THGR810 sensors for a year without missing any transmissions. Each of the 10 channels are used twice. I also have the weight sensor and two barbeque sensors, all of which work together just fine.

Comment

Automated,

That REALLY makes me feel MUCH better!!!

that means I can pretty much put these THGR810 sensors everywhere! Though from looking at them (they just arrived today) I do not think placing them outdoors looks like a good idea.

So I can really get 20 of the THGR810 sensors working together without them stepping on each other? WOW! (Wish they were not so expensive, but it beats me running cables for the the 1-Wire bus)
                      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

...at least I have never had any issues with them set up this way.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanv View Post
                          that means I can pretty much put these THGR810 sensors everywhere! Though from looking at them (they just arrived today) I do not think placing them outdoors looks like a good idea.
                          I have 2 of them placed outdoors, one at home and one at my summer house at the sea with in this last case plenty of sandy and salted wind.
                          They have been hanging there for years without problem, even the batteries seem to last forever.
                          They have a logo on them saying they are "All weather", and according my experience, they certainly do.

Hope this make you feel even better.

Comment

It does actually make me feel even better... I guess I have my answer on what I am going to run. The main item I really want is temperature.

Since it sounds like I can safely run up to 20 of the THGR810 distributed both indoors and outdoors, that is what I am going to buy.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an updated 1-wire temperature network. This should be a better, more versatile (wireless) solution. (I wish the THGR810 were not so expensive, but I will be happy to buy them if they last)

Thanks so much!
                            jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Working...
                            X