Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some quick help.

Hi there,

So, I haven't posted here in a good while, and have been very busy all summer.

I leave for school in 2 days and unfortunately this means the first time I'll be away from my hobby of automating my house.

Anyway, since about December of 2011 I've been using HomeSeer on the same PC and my mother and I have been the only two in the house that have been somewhat "dependent" on HomeSeer to be able to turn on/off lights and run thermostats, etc, until yesterday.

This is the problem:

HomeSeer will not recognize anything powered by USB. This means my ZWave controller, Insteon controller, AD2USB Alarm Controller, etc. I'm unsure if this is a problem with the computer or with HomeSeer, but all I'm getting in the log is a constant flood of "Cannot open COM port 9, will keep trying...: Unable to obtain a handle to the COM port" for ZWave and "Initializing interface: Insteon-Could not open COM8 - The port 'COM8' does not exist." for Insteon.

The two main technologies that run my house are now offline and I'm leaving for college in 2 days. I need some help or suggestions to figure this out ASAP.

Could it be that all the USB ports on my PC have failed? I don't know what else to try or where else to ask.

Also, on the setup page, it shows "N/A" for Com Port for nearly every plug-in

This makes me think it's a PC error but I don't know what else to try.

Every suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance! - Brandon

Is there anything common to these USB devices, are they all connected to one hub, one expansion card or one set of connectors? Are the devices still recognised in the windows device manager?

Comment

The devices are on two separate hubs, and are no longer recognized in device manager, which makes me think it's a PC error

Comment

If the Device Manager can read your ports they have failed. Time for an add-on USB card maybe.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here is a link for a USB device checker.

Make sure you are checking your computer without HS running and with the USB hubs unplugged. Reboot your computer without HS running and USB hubs plugged in.

This will show if your USB ports on the computer are still OK.

You want first to check that.

Then after you have validated the built in USB ports you want to plug one hub in without any devices on it to see if it comes up in USBDeview first. Then the second hub without any devices on it.

If they do come up without any devices on it you could also have a piece of bad hardware connected to one of the USB ports.

If you do not see any USB devices on your computer then you are going to have to purchase a USB card maybe. I have never seen a USB port go bad. I have seen them shut down due to overloading power stuff.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

BTW you are better off using a powered USB hub rather than an unpowered one for HS. (that is my opinion though).
          Last edited by Pete; August 14, 2013, 03:25 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Curious what was the result of said issue?
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just saw this.

I wonder why I never responded!

Apparently I got everything working, as I don't seem to recall any significant downtime. I think I ended up replacing both USB hubs in the end.

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Working...
              X