No announcement yet.

Aoen Labs Home Energy Monitor Support in HS3 - working in version 165

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF, any way you can post a picture of the back of your HEM unit? I'd be curious to compare models/etc since mine continues to have issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. I'll get to that some time today. Right now my tools, including screw drivers, are in my car which is buried in snow and I'm not going back out for a bit as I just finished shoveling for a few hours!
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Haha, it's a warm 49 degrees here in Houston. No snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, that's true and all. BUT! Hot tubs aren't as enjoyable in Houston!

Hot tub. Hence the reason I got the HEM. Our electricity rates just increased about 40% for the winter.

Comment

Here you go. Sorry the picture blows.

I'd love to hear from other people about how the Gen 1 HEM is working for them these days.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              Yeah, that's true and all. BUT! Hot tubs aren't as enjoyable in Houston!

Hot tub. Hence the reason I got the HEM. Our electricity rates just increased about 40% for the winter.
              Haha! Yes, I will agree about the hot tub being more enjoyable when it is cold!!

Thanks for the picture. I do have the same one. Bought it (from somewhere... Amazon? eBay?) for about 90 bucks a year or 2 ago. Worked with HS2 beautifully, but not with HS3.

What HS3 version and ZWave module version are you working with?

I'm just going to throw out there that I'm highly jealous that you have a working HEM with HS3!!!

Comment

I'm on the latest HS3 beta, .149 and the second to latest Z-Wave beta which is .186.

I initially had difficulty getting it connected, which is nothing new to me as I have a bunch of Z-Wave stuff and pairing devices is often a nightmare. I held the button down for 5 seconds to put it in pairing mode as some instructions I found on line suggested and I couldn't get HS3 to see it. So I took my zstick to it and had the same issue. I then tapped the button on the HEM a few times and the zstick flashed letting me know it had paired. When I reconnected it to HS3 everything proceeded as normal. My HEM currently lives about 3' from my zstick.

And it's looking like my hot tub costs about $1.55 per day to run. Glad I went with the smaller model!

EDIT:

Just noticed that the title of this thread has been modified to say that it's all working as of version .165. Is this not true?

Comment

I'm on ZWave .187 and HS3 .149. I tried some time back removing it and re-adding with the Z-Troller, with no success. Maybe that was on a previous ZWave/HS3 build.

Maybe I'll try removing/re-adding it again.

Rescanning gives me varied results. I can poll and get some info, but when I do, I always also see this:

Jan-05 8:59:52 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Multilevel Sensor device Node 7 Z-Wave Power is missing Sensor Type information - cannot update sensor status.
                  Jan-05 8:59:52 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Multilevel Sensor device Node 7 Z-Wave Power 2 is missing Sensor Type information - cannot update sensor status.
                  Jan-05 8:59:52 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Multilevel Sensor device Node 7 Z-Wave Power is missing Sensor Type information - cannot update sensor status.

However, I can get "current power," which is better than nothing. When I try to re-scan the device, I get this (among other messages):

Jan-05 8:24:21 AM Z-Wave Warning Node 7, EndPoint=2 Multilevel Sensor Report was not received (B) - the child device will NOT be configured properly.
                  Jan-05 8:24:21 AM Z-Wave Warning Node 7, EndPoint=1 Multilevel Sensor Report was not received (B) - the child device will NOT be configured properly.

I know the title of the thread is "working in .165"... but by the time I put in HS3, ZWave was already past that version. And it was broken. I have devices that only work in newer builds (Linear garage opener, the new HS plug-in multi-sensors, etc), so I can't backtrack to .165. Maybe to test... hmmm...

$1.55 a day -- even with the increased rates in your area? That's not bad!!

Comment

Yeah, Z-Wave seems to be At Least 1/2 voodoo, 25% crap and 1/4 logic. I would really like to hear from other people with the Gen 1 HEM about their experiences with the newer versions of the Z-Wave plugin. I'm now afraid that with the next update I'll be hosed.

You're right that $1.50 isn't too bad, but really, hot tubs should be subsidized for people in higher latitudes!

Comment

Not working here after many, many tries on HS3 .149 and Zwave beta .187

It will add either by the button on the aeon stick or by the interface "add a node" option (after removing the device first in both cases) but only ever gives devices for group 1.

I have a support request in to Aeotek re how to check version and upgrade firmware on device but haven't heard anything back yet.

The only devices created are kwh (1 and 2) and watts (1 and 2) and power.

I can see watts 1 changing but everything else is just stuck either on 0 or on 640.

Very frustrating device to say the least.

Could you post a screen shot of your devices and your setup screens and maybe your log entries for the zwave start up I can compare to mine ?

Are you getting updates on both phases directly or do you have to script some numbers to get totals ?

Thanks,
                      Neil
                      Newmarket Ontario

Comment

I don't need to tinker with scripts or polling or anything like that. It just seems to be working. When the hot tub is at idle it only reports usage on one leg, which makes sense as it's only powering 120v devices like the control board. When the pump or heater come on I can see the numbers jump on both legs. It is keeping totals just fine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Haha, mine is the opposite! I'm getting a "power" reading, but nothing else. To get any update to "power" -- which is the only measurement being reported -- I have to poll the device. I poll every 2 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HEM1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1175886

Comment

Everyone having issues. Are you running this thing on batteries? Mine is plugged in. In my experience it's bad form to run Z-Wave devices on batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                              Everyone having issues. Are you running this thing on batteries? Mine is plugged in. In my experience it's bad form to run Z-Wave devices on batteries.
                              Oh no -- this is plugged into power. No batteries. I like your description as "bad form" - my experience exactly! I do have some HSM100 sensors on batteries, but those are for things where I only need very periodic polling.

Comment

Miracles!

It works! It works!

When I got home, I took my Z-Troller outside to my little wall-mounted special box where the HEM lives. I did the delete/add process, cutting power to the HEM in between. When I reunited the Z-Troller to HS3, and scanned/added devices -- it took a looong time, but then -- it WORKED! I had to set all the device options (reporting groups, reporting time) as they were all blank. (Previously, these had been auto-populated with defaults).

Now it's working like it did in HS2 - automatically reporting changes, and all devices are created and accounted for. Although, I think some of the device options are missing, like which reporting group to include the battery percent. But since I'm not using a battery and have this powered, that doesn't matter to me.

I think my troubles were with a previous ZWave module or HS3 version. Something was not read properly with a previous version and that corrupt data stuck. Clearing out the device from both HS3 and the Z-Troller, and re-adding with new software builds, seems to have fixed it.

I have the encouragement of the people on the forum, especially S-F, to thank for making my evening and solving this months-long issue! And, of course, the HS folks for fixing the bug. Or maybe this is a fluke.

EDIT: Power (watts for the whole meter) was not being reported. I couldn't make heads or tails of the advanced device guide from Aeon Tech, so I just fired up HS2 to set the properties. One thing I noticed is that whole meter kWh devices were not created and are not showing in HS3. So, I think there's still some work to do on HS3 for this device -- but at least I've got a ton more data than I did.

Thanks guys,

hjk
                                ---
                                Last edited by hjk; January 6, 2015, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X