RPi 2-3 Ubuntu Mate - QEMU XPe Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPi 2-3 Ubuntu Mate - QEMU XPe Installation

This DIY is for installation of QEMU XP(e) emulation on an ARM RPi2-3.

Note here utilize both speaker and homeseer touch on my XPe clients. It is running on a 16Gb SSD card but utilizes around 8Gb. It is basic. To replicate the touchscreens here using a software rescue imaging program, write the image to a USB stick then write it back to a new touchscreen. Note that my tabletop tablets run Linux / Android with EFI boot rom or Windows XPe with a seabios boot rom. Fastest and easy to run is Ubuntu Linux or XPe.

You can turn your RPi2-3 here to a speaker client only if you want.

Image I utilize has MS SAPI and Neospeech voices on it.

Found a You Tube video the other day that shows the RPi running XP. It is a trimmed down version of XP called MicroXP. You can DIY one yourself or just install XP Pro and remove the fluff (all of it). Here currently utilizing XPe on all of my touchscreens so will be using that.

Personally here have shifted to the Pine64 devices (instead of the RPi3) and next shifting over to the Rock64. That said for this test using an RPi2.

Hardware requirements:

1 - RPi 2-3 with power supply
    2 - touchscreen for the RPi2-3
    3 - 32 Gb micro SD card - here because that is all I have today and my base image is 8Gb. Here using a Samsung Evo

Software requirements: (writing the image with Ubuntu 16.04 here).

1 - Install Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 (Xenial) on your SD card
    IE:
    sudo apt-get install gddrescue xz-utils
    unxz ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz
    sudo ddrescue -D --force ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img /dev/sdx

A - download Ubuntu Mate (hxxps://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/)
    B - write image to SD card

- /home/pete/Downloads# ls ubu*
    ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz
    - /Downloads# unxz ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz
    This takes a while to decompress.
    - /Downloads# ls ubuntu*
    ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img
    Here using the SD card slot on my laptop.
    /Downloads# lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    mmcblk0 179:0 0 29.8G 0 disk
    └─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 29.8G 0 part /media/pete/9016-4EF8
    /dev# ls mmc*
    mmcblk0 mmcblk0p1
    /Downloads# ddrescue -D --force ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img /dev/mmcblk0p1
    GNU ddrescue 1.19
    Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
    rescued: 5000 MB, errsize: 0 B, current rate: 193 kB/s
    ipos: 4999 MB, errors: 0, average rate: 3364 kB/s
    opos: 4999 MB, run time: 24.76 m, successful read: 0 s ago
    Very slow (24.76 minutes to write the image to a 32Gb micro SD card.
    - check image on SD card

2 - Connecting an LCD VGA monitor to the Pi using a powered HDMI to VGA device. I have never used the HDMI to VGA adapter or tried this before - testing on the kitchen table.

Found an old 9" POS (for IBM) touch screen to test with. Easy to move around and it uses a USB Touchscreen (which is really a serial touchscreen).

Note that this RPi has the PiFace RTC in it. I did this with all of my original RPi's purchased.

Touchscreen is working fine on RPi with Ubuntu Mate.

[ATTACH]66622[/ATTACH]

3 - Install QEmu
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm qemu virt-manager virt-viewer libvirt-bin

4 - check space left on SD card.
    ~$ df -Bm
    Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 29861M 4722M 25124M 16% /

5 - copy 8 Gb test image (will be expanding it to 16 Gb)

13th of February, 2018

I am now 3 builds of XP (lots of space with the 32Gb microsd card).

Sound and network work fine but it's much slower than my base Intel Atom based tabletop tablets and my test Ubuntu 16.04 build on same said tabletop tablets with 512 Mb of RAM.

14th of February, 2018

Trying another microXP build labeled 1.11 which is newer than the .82 build and larger at around 300Mb ISO.

So far working builds is my current XPe image and the Micro builds.

Note historically have tried this with Wine (worked) and play on Linux and it worked much better than just using mono hstouch.exe (linux version).

This lite microXP is a bit fatter than the .82 version. That said installation is also a bit slower. You must have a valid XP license to install it and I am guessing there are a few users here that have kept their old XP licenses around.

I am being lazy here as I could have made an XP Lite ISO long math way as I have done this before.

Network, video and audio work fine. Next installing SAPI / Neospeech voices.

17th of February, 2018

Went back to using the current XPe image via a bit copy of the 16Gb SSD that I am using here. The meat of the SSD card around 8 Gb.

Everything works. Pushing it a bit using 512Mb and VNC here to view remotely. Maybe trying this next on the Pine64 2Gb computer.

[ATTACH]66801[/ATTACH]

19th of February, 2018

Works but is too slow to be practical. This is the last post relating to said endeavor.
    Last edited by Pete; February 19, 2018, 12:24 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Saved
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

saved
      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,

Did you ever get around to using the Rock64 with the Speaker client?
        Currently I have Alexa echo devies and and Sonos One Gen 2 devices that work well

However, I really want to

a) be independent of the internet for voice control.

b) limit the house automated functions to specific members of my household (Amazon devices allow anyone to control the home)

Thanks

Comment

Here continued using my multiple speaker instances on one Oracle Virtual Box running on the Homeseer 3 server for TTS and sometimes using speaker instances on the Homeseer touchscreens running embedded windows.

I switched the smaller Homeseer 3 box over to a micro Intel PC because I can run Oracle Virtual Box (Windows) on it. Both of the HS3 servers are running on Intel CPUs mostly.

Using Microsoft SAPI you can be independant of the Internet. Windows 10 SAPI is levels above earlier versions of SAPI. Even better was using the Microsoft Kinect a while ago but now no longer supported.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete, as you are talking about TTS, is there a plug-in or way to speak to an Amazon Echo?
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

is there a plug-in or way to speak to an Amazon Echo?

Talking to an Amazon Echo has always been around with Homeseer.

Using the Amazon Echo devices as Text to Speech devices can be done in Homeseer using Node Red.

Here using a Home Assistant plugin called Alexa Media Player which allows you to use the Amazon Echo as Text to Speech devices and lets you manage and control them and execute events via triggers.

You can do TTS with one or all of the Amazon devices you have.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete, Node Red is HS4, as you know I am on HS3, can you point me in the right direction of Home Assistant plugin called Alexa Media Player ?
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I used Node Red in HS3.

Here is the wiki for Alexa Media Player.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                  X