Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacation mode - automatic lights with random (to replicate "living")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacation mode - automatic lights with random (to replicate "living")

Hi all,

I have been trying to find something that automates my house during holiday, ie. events running my lights on interval basis, preferably random for a certain range, so my lighting looks like I am still at home.

Off course I can setup numerous events to replicate this (and a virtual device that allows me to set "vacation mode", but I was wondering whether something already exists that does that automatically, preferably by looking at my usage during the past weeks (ie. what lamps are on during what times and use a randomizer to do the same around similar times).

Regards,

Nika.

Originally posted by nikagl View Post
    Hi all,

I have been trying to find something that automates my house during holiday, ie. events running my lights on interval basis, preferably random for a certain range, so my lighting looks like I am still at home.

Off course I can setup numerous events to replicate this (and a virtual device that allows me to set "vacation mode", but I was wondering whether something already exists that does that automatically, preferably by looking at my usage during the past weeks (ie. what lamps are on during what times and use a randomizer to do the same around similar times).

Regards,

Nika.
    A better concept might be to have homeseer learn your habits for 7 days, then create an event to play-back the learned habits - with some exclusions via configuration options...

You could just go through your old logs, with something like UltraLog, and playback device changes and event triggers at a similar time.

You can also simply create some randomized events to toggle lights for certain periods of time, and trigger them when the home is on vacation mode.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Part of this is built into HomeSeer. Check out the Security Offset +/-: and Security Mode Currently Enabled:
      Using these and the Security (randomize time triggers) on the Trigger tab for events you can randomize events.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You can also play music or turn on various TV's in the home to give the appearance you are home; even have Homeseer play barking dogs wav sounds at various times during the day...its up to your imagination what you can do with Homeseer.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I use blrandom to simulate activity. It doesn't learn your routines but is rather a manual setup but it works nicely and can be turned on or off with a simple script statement.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Thanks all! I've used the security feature for now, turning on some lights based on sunset and turning them off again at fixed times (with security randomization). I have seen it adds the security offset when saving the event, I assume it changes the offset after the event was triggered? Will be testing tomorrow

Regards,

Nika.

Comment

http://bladeplugins.no-ip.org/BLOccupied/

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                Oops, thanks Bill, that was the plug-in I meant to reference. He's got so many it's hard to keep the names straight.
                Marty
                ------
                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Although I do like the plugin, it lacks the ability to set the order in which the devices need to be turned on. Therefore mimicing the daily behavior (for instance going upstairs)...

Comment

I may be mistaken, and this will need more investigation, but it looks like the times chosen during creation of the Vacation events, where randomly chosen at the time creating them, but do not change when the event was triggered (ie. when you set it to 30 minutes, turn a lamp on at 21:00 with the security features, you'd expect it to turn on at for instance 20:52 and 21:03 the next day, etc.).

Regards,

Nika.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Part of this is built into HomeSeer. Check out the Security Offset +/-: and Security Mode Currently Enabled:
                      Using these and the Security (randomize time triggers) on the Trigger tab for events you can randomize events.
                      Sorry Rupp... but where's this?
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Take a look at the Setup page, General tab.
                        Attached Files
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

And after enabling security, make sure to enable the Security setting in the event trigger tab:

By the way, I couldn't find an attach option in this board - how did you attach your picture (I used my own webserver to host it)? Or does someone need to enable that on my account?

Regards,

Nika.

Comment

Note that I prefer to use a Virtual Device to enable "vacation mode" as I can use HSTouch and other remote options to enable it without having to go into the configuration (thats why it has the Group 1 condition)...

Comment

Working...
                            X