Z troller quit responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z troller quit responding

my z-troller quit responding to hoomseer. it will still add and remove from the control. but the assigned Chanel (ie 02,04) keeps getting higher. I checked the cables for damage and removed the unit from power with batteries out. still no communication? what do I do now?

Try removing the batteries and unplug the unit for about an hour. Then plugin the unit and see if it logs any errors in the HomeSeer log.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

no response

I am getting the following error in my homeseer log.
      3/28/2013 7:20:59 PM - Warning - In Z-Wave init(A), no response getting initialization information.

I will try unhooking for an hour and see if it helps.

Comment

here is more information

I was very tired and frustrated yesterday sorry for the lack of clarity. Let me give you a complete history.
        I got my Ztroller in September and it had been working fine, then I had a hard drive crash and my computer was off for a few days. The drive failed. The Ztroller’s power was on during this time and there were no batteries in it. I was able to recover my system with a image of my disk and the one node I had when the image was made seemed to function normally although I don’t think I used the HomeSeer program to manually control the one Z-Wave switch I had already imported into HomeSeer.
        I have a second computer with a fresh install of windows; I decided to use as a dedicated HomeSeer machine because of the UAC issues with HomeSeer. I don’t feel it is wise to turn off UAC on my everyday computer. I downloaded a fresh copy of HomeSeer from your site and installed it. I turned the computer off and transferred the Ztroller to the other computers serial port booted that computer and the Ztroller would not communicate with HomeSeer. I checked the Serial/Com ports and MB drives everything says it’s working and up-to-date on my new and old machines. I have tried moving the Ztroller back to my everyday machine and I get the same errors from HomeSeer on both.
        I had added a second switch to HomeSeer and used it to control the first one after the disk image was made and that worked till the Ztroller quit responding. Unfortunately I tried to relink the second switch to the Ztroller by deleting and adding it again before I checked if the association was still working. I am not sure if associations are saved to the switches locally or in the Ztroller itself?

When I connect power to the Ztroller it displays a display that isn't readable then 01.17 then 339A I get a conn display when I connect the ps2 cord and disc when the cord is disconnected (if the cord is hooked to the computer’s serial port).
        If I put batteries in the Ztroller I can add and delete nodes everything seems fine although I am at node 16 with 2 switches I have been deleting and adding them trying to get this to work.
        I unplugged the Ztroller with no batteries in it overnight and still can’t communicate through HomeSeer with it. I am attaching a log file so you can see the attempt to connect errors.

So if anyone has an idea I can try, please let me know.

If not I hope someone from the Co. will contact me.
        Attached Files

Comment

What are the port settings set to on the serial port? Are you using an onboard serial port or an adapter? Are you sure your choosing the correct com port that you enter into the settings for HomeSeer?

Comment

I see that you could at one time communicate with it.

You already left the batteries out with no power which should have reset it.

Not sure but read some where of doing a hard reset a different way. (communicating serially though)

You've apparently checked and validated your serial ports / physical ports stuff.

Can you do a screen print similiar to what is attached anyways?

Someone with a similiar issue found an incorrectly set baud rate. Not sure on the homeseer side where you would set the baud rate though or check it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; March 29, 2013, 08:29 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have tried three different ways of setting this up. I tried the serial port on the back of the machine and when that didn’t work I found an old serial adaptor cable with a bracket to put in an empty slot in the case and hooked it to the second serial port socket on the motherboard . When that didn’t work I hooked it to a USB to serial adaptor (I read on a post some USB chipsets work and some don’t so I checked the driver for the adaptor and this units chipset is the same Company that makes the trendnet you sell.) and I got the same result as before. I read that baud rate should be set to 115200 not 9600 so I tried that. Yes I changed the com port within HomeSeer every time. Now if you mean you need to know what IRQ the built in ports are set to I will have to reboot.
              Last edited by Will22257; March 29, 2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Most new computers do not come with serial ports.

I don't really think the IRQ of the serial port would matter.

It would be easiest and fastest first to validate the hardware serial port function.

You would do this without Homeseer running and using Hyperterminal.

Do you have any serial device that you can test the port with?

An old serial modem maybe?

Are you OK with making a serial loop back cable? Its easy to make one:

To perform a loopback test for RS-232, the TXD pin must be connected to the RXD pin. This allows the data to flow from the transmit to the receive pins.
                Use Hyperterminal. Have a look at the attached. Anything you type will be echoed back to you validating serial communications.

Note this first test is just to validate the functions of the serial port you are using and whether its com 1,2,3 or whatever.

Baby steps first to check out the hardware serial ports.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3450/en
                Attached Files
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

It appears that your Z-Troller may have died or at lease part of the communications circuitry . Did your system experience something catastrophic when the hard drive failed?

Comment

No I sat down and the compute was locked up. I had not used it for a day or so. I rebooted it and got an error saying there was no OC to boot from turns out the solid state drive I have will lock up if doesn't have Idle time? That seems like a flaw to me, hope they fix with firmware. For now I am using a new drive so it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Will

Did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem. I had a hard drive go bad and rebuilt my system. My system was down about 2-3 weeks and when it was rebuilt, I was getting the same error message. Thought it was my serial ports but I tried the same as you with no response. I know they work as my HAI panel is working (serial connection) and I have swapped ports with that. The HAI system work on either port. I am now trying to leave the batteries out over night but I am not holding out.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Comment

Have you downloaded the HomeSeer Z-Troller™ Firmware Update and tried it? What were the results? Did you try re-installing the latest firmware? Have seen firmware get out of whack a couple of times - re-installing firmware fixed it.

Comment

I might try that after I wait my 24hr. w/o batteries. The only thing that I can think of that is different from the old to the new is the ver. of HS. I do not remember what I was running but I know it was not the current version. So when I did the new install, I used the newest version in the downloader and upgrade to the current support version. Other then that, nothing else has changed. I been running the Troller for over 4-5 years without issue.

Comment

re-installation of the batteries did not fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbreeden View Post
                              I might try that after I wait my 24hr. w/o batteries. The only thing that I can think of that is different from the old to the new is the ver. of HS. I do not remember what I was running but I know it was not the current version. So when I did the new install, I used the newest version in the downloader and upgrade to the current support version. Other then that, nothing else has changed. I been running the Troller for over 4-5 years without issue.
                              Anything more than an hour wait isn't going to help. What is the exact error you are receiving? It's most likely the com port speed setting preventing the hardware from working. Try setting the com port speed to 115k and see if it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X