Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Upgrade for HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
    Where exactly do u change the name?
    Alexa app | settings | Click on the Echo you want to change |Click on wake word (mid screen) and select your wake word Echo Amazon or Alexa. It takes a minute or two for the new word to be active.

Comment

Thanks, i wish we can customize the name with other options... But that what it is, that's what it is...
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
        Alexa turn off my bedroom light = API
        Alexa tell homeseer to turn on my bedroom light = skill

API - on/off/dim and set thermostat
        Skill - run events, get statuses, on/off/dim, control and report on most devices.

Alexa/Amazon/Echo are current awake words for the echo - choose one. You can not use an arbitrary word at this time. For my kitchen unit I call echo and my living I call Alexa.
        i can turn on lights with the api command, but when trying the skil method it does not understand or not work. Will api have more fictions in the future that you know of?
        Hector
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Go to setting and history on the echo app. It will show you what it thinks is being said. I found that it was not understanding me properly and the reason the skill was hit/miss for me. I am hoping to get time today to test api

Comment

i can turn on lights with the api command, but when trying the skil method it does not understand or not work. Will api have more fictions in the future that you know of?
            The api also works great at setting temps. What I have noticed is that the first skill set was better at understanding simple command, recognizing event names and recognizing devices. The second skill set (the new one) is much better at getting statuses - it is really good at that. And the API excels at simple on/off and temp sets. Someone correct me but I think the new skill set sends the entire utterance to homeseer to parse. The first skill set had simple utterance examples, which helped Alexa match up your utterance with the examples.

And do not forget there is also IFTTT.

Think about how young this integration is. Voice recognition is constantly improving, homeseer technology gets better every day. This is an evolutionary process, we are still in infancy, but it is amazing how well things work today. Image how much better they will be in the future. I am very pleased even though I currently use different methods for various functions.

Comment

Do we have any idea when the new HS release that works with the new Echo Skill clear beta? OR, feeling daring here, where can I find the beta version? I foolishly upgraded to the new Echo skill and Alexia tells me I need to be at HS v .239 in order to use the feature.

Thanks,
              j

Comment

Originally posted by jmolinario View Post
                Do we have any idea when the new HS release that works with the new Echo Skill clear beta? OR, feeling daring here, where can I find the beta version? I foolishly upgraded to the new Echo skill and Alexia tells me I need to be at HS v .239 in order to use the feature.

Thanks,
                j
                Betas can be found here: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1137

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HS Beta

DO we have any idea of the timing as to when the HS version required for the new Echo skill integration will clear beta and be made available ?

I foolishly update my Echo and now Alexa tells me I need to upgrade HS to version .239 ( If I recall correctly).

Thanks,
                  j

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
                    Alexa turn off my bedroom light = API
                    Alexa tell homeseer to turn on my bedroom light = skill

API - on/off/dim and set thermostat
                    Skill - run events, get statuses, on/off/dim, control and report on most devices.

Alexa/Amazon/Echo are current awake words for the echo - choose one. You can not use an arbitrary word at this time. For my kitchen unit I call echo and my living I call Alexa.
                    So can one use both(either) API or skill methods concurrently, saying whatever works best, or must you choose to use one method or the other? Also, does on/off=open/close in a garage door application?

Thanks

Comment

I have 3 devices:

A light - named light - on, off, dim
                      A ceiling fan - named fan - low, medium, high, off
                      An exhaust fan - named exhaust - on, off

All 3 are Insteon. The light and ceiling fan share the same Insteon address with the light having :1 appended to the address and the fan having :2 appended.

Alexa on discovers 2 devices, light and exhaust.

Is the reason the ceiling fan is not detected because of the address or because it is not simply on/off?

I'm enjoying watching Alexa/HS continue to improve. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by gserp4sox View Post
                        So can one use both(either) API or skill methods concurrently, saying whatever works best, or must you choose to use one method or the other? Also, does on/off=open/close in a garage door application?

Thanks
                        Yes, I use the skill set for status queries and events, but the API to set the thermostat and turn lights on and off. The API is incredible and very fast.

I don't know about the garage door. I think Rich posted in the API forum the requirements for making a device work. Let me see if I can find it.

I think this is it:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...31&postcount=6

Comment

Man!!! Trying to remember the event names is a challenge, there has to be a better method.... Or I must be to old for this.

Please correct me, is it the event name that echo is looking for and not the "recognize phrase" of the trigger section...?
                          Hector
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Man!!! Trying to remember the event names is a challenge, there has to be a better method.... Or I must be to old for this.

Please correct me, is it the event name that echo is looking for and not the "recognize phrase" of the trigger section...?
                            I think either is fine - I have had issues with recognized phrases because the phrases were too similar. An alternative (I have not used in a while) is to use IFTTT with events. Your command would be Alexa trigger (event name). Psychologically that might even be better because you trigger events and you do not need the longer phrase Alexa tell homeseer to run (even name)

Example,

the event leaving (turn off lights, set the thermostat to 64, lock the doors)

you would say:

Alexa trigger leaving

as opposed to

Alexa tell homeseer to run the event leaving

Lots of advantages (more natural language, you could set up as many trigger words/phrases as alternatives as you want), the disadvantage is that it is not as instantaneous as the skill or API.

Comment

API

Mark,

HURRAH for the API Now we're in the real world.
                              Again thanks Mark this is a real mile stone.
                              Last edited by Gallina; March 2, 2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Iphone

Now if we could talk to Alexa from our I phone that would be great. I'm sure its a matter of time. I hope soon I'm Old.

Thanks again team

Comment

Working...
                                X