Z-wave Door Chime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave Door Chime

I have a SkyBell HD which is not connected to any door chime. The SkyBell can trigger an event on HomeSeer when the button is pressed. So I would like to get a door chime that can be controlled by HomeSeer. The only item I found is the Dome DMS01 but the reviews are not the greatest. Are there other options that integrate with HS3?

Originally posted by mulu View Post
    I have a SkyBell HD which is not connected to any door chime. The SkyBell can trigger an event on HomeSeer when the button is pressed. So I would like to get a door chime that can be controlled by HomeSeer. The only item I found is the Dome DMS01 but the reviews are not the greatest. Are there other options that integrate with HS3?
    The aeotec alarm/siren would work. It can be set to be a "chime" is wanted, or to play mp3's also.

I thought it was available on the HS site, but it can be found at other places.

LOL... just realized also... if you have TTS setup you could use that and play a chime mp3... or use a google mini also if you have them.

Comment

I assume you are referring to the Aeotec Siren G5. If so, it seems based on reviews it is rather loud. Did you find a way to adjust the volume so it can be used as a door chime and maybe even indicating when certain doors are being opened? Also on this forum it was said that it suddenly started to go off at random times. It seems they fixed it by installing an 'empty sound'. Can this be done with a firmware upgrade?

Comment

You mentioned Skybell can send an event to HomeSeer, you can use that with Arduino to send a pulse to a normal door chime from Amazon. Am I Wright?

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Emanuel, that is what I considered first. The idea was that I buy a wireless door chime but I don't install the button. Instead I would take the button apart and wire it to an Arduino that then shortens the circuit via a transistor or relay. However, I read that a lot of buttons are not mechanical anymore and are hard to wire into. So I could potentially purchase something, take it apart, not being able to solder into it and not being able to return it because I took it apart. Hence, it seemed easier/safer/cleaner to just buy something that integrates natively with HomeSeer and also allows different chimes for different events.

If you have any input regarding the non-mechsnicsl button then I certainly could reconsider that.

Comment

I have 2 of the dome siren/chimes. I have never had a problem with them. The parameters (in an event) allow you to change sounds to what ever you prefer on the fly. The volume has 3 levels and the battery so far appears to last a long time. Had them both for 6 mo and still 100%. They are also z-wave plus.

I don't know where the bad reviews were at but I get them here.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/col...ss-siren-dms01

Comment

I purchased one as it seems the only z-wave solution out there (until Aeotec comes out with their Doorbell6 at the end of 2018).

How do you change the ring tone and sound level on the fly? My dome siren/chime shows up as three devices, Dome Siren, Battery and Siren Enable. None of them allow me to set the ring tone and volume and I also don't see anything like that in my events.

Comment

I purchased one as it seems the only z-wave solution out there (until Aeotec comes out with their Doorbell6 at the end of 2018).

How do you change the ring tone and sound level on the fly? My dome siren/chime shows up as three devices, Dome Siren, Battery and Siren Enable. None of them allow me to set the ring tone and volume and I also don't see anything like that in my events.
                Here is an example of how to get what you are wanting. There are other parts to the event I can show if you need them.
                Attached Files

Comment

cowinger and mulu

As an FYI, I've created devices and a script to help change the parameters on the fly in events. See here for details: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...e-siren-script. The prime advantage is that with setting the config parameters through the script, no delays are needed between each one so the change happens much faster. I originally did it the same way as posted as above, but there was a long delay between triggering the event and then activating the siren/chime.
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here's another option. When my doorbell is pressed, an event with an action of "Speak", to announce that someone rang the doorbell. Alternatively, you can have it play the contents of a file. I actually use AirplaySpeak to have a HomePod say "Alexa, announce, someone rang the doorbell". An Echo in the same room as the HomePod picks up the request from HomePod, and causes all the other Echo's in the house to do the announcement. Alternatively, have HomeSeer client do the "Alexa, announce..." request if the PC's speaker is close to an Echo.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
                      Here's another option. When my doorbell is pressed, an event with an action of "Speak", to announce that someone rang the doorbell. Alternatively, you can have it play the contents of a file. I actually use AirplaySpeak to have a HomePod say "Alexa, announce, someone rang the doorbell". An Echo in the same room as the HomePod picks up the request from HomePod, and causes all the other Echo's in the house to do the announcement. Alternatively, have HomeSeer client do the "Alexa, announce..." request if the PC's speaker is close to an Echo.
                      I'm similarly using the Google Hub Mini along with the Chromecast plugin from Spud which allows you to use the Hub Mini for any kind of announcement or to play media files (.mp3 and others). I think this is a bit more useful than a Z-Wave siren because not only can you use it to play a siren sound file (or any other), and use it for the HomeKit Speech function, you also get all of the "other" Google hub features along with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X