X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
    Go to Google and search

[search terms] site:forums.homeseer.com

By far the best way to search any forums that I've found (some actually include searches that just redirect to Google with the Site: option added for their domain)
    That's what I've been doing, in fact I was JUST doing that. It's possible, most things are possible. It's just frustrating to have to use a 3rd party system because the existing system doesn't work.

Kinda like how I'm having to use my Vera system for zigbee devices.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
      That's what I've been doing, in fact I was JUST doing that. It's possible, most things are possible. It's just frustrating to have to use a 3rd party system because the existing system doesn't work.

Kinda like how I'm having to use my Vera system for zigbee devices.
      I might agree except that in this case there is no way HST would have the resources to build a system to search as well as google does. That is why I said it's the best search I've found for any forum. No matter what forum it is, it's search will always be dwarfed by Google and why I said some actually embed google search into them instead of depending on it.

I would be nice if HST could embed it in these forum, but it's not that hard and normally when I'm searching, I open a new tab to search in anyways.

Comment

My first impression is that I don't like the discourse forums. I'm not saying I wouldn't get used to it, but at first glance I don't like it.

My biggest gripe with the current forums here is that it sets all threads to "read" if I leave for any amount of time. I would rather it always keep track of what I've read or not read.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryFunk View Post
          If a change were to be made, I'd suggest Vanilla Forums.
          Hey why not. That's a good system as well.

Here's the thing. There's no pleasing everyone. I'm getting used to vBulletin slowly. I suppose it's all what you've been used to and some of the current "features" that a lot of forums have.

But now it's back to the BBS wars of yester years of people bickering over wwiv vs vbbs vs slbbs vs wildcat vs etc etc etc

Comment

Yeah and everyone knows TBBS was the best.

Last edited by GaryFunk; April 28, 2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Current version of vBulletin on Homeseer looks fine to me.

Thinking HST did try an update to vBulletin a couple of years back. The update did not work out well and it was downgraded to current version.
              Yes, I remembered when they tried.

Like Pete, I'm absolutely comfortable with the current forum and would appreciate no change...

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

i frequent the garage journal forum https://www.garagejournal.com/ and the one thing i like that i cant find here is a view all link. something i find convenient. heres an example:
                Attached Files

Comment

I could not agree more plus:

a) I'd rather HST spent their limited resources by improving Homeseer. If it was a choice of working on the Mobile app or spending time upgrading the forum, I know which I would choose!

b) This board contains a wealth of information, images, files and code snippets which has been added over many years. It would be a sad loss that parts would be lost with migration, just for the sake of eye candy. I seem to remember that when HST tried to upgrade previously, there was an issue with this.

My 0.02 worth!
                  Jon

Comment

I'm down for whatever. Some new forum features would be nice, but not at the cost of HS development.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
                    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

a) I'd rather HST spent their limited resources by improving Homeseer. If it was a choice of working on the Mobile app or spending time upgrading the forum, I know which I would choose!

b) This board contains a wealth of information, images, files and code snippets which has been added over many years. It would be a sad loss that parts would be lost with migration, just for the sake of eye candy. I seem to remember that when HST tried to upgrade previously, there was an issue with this.

My 0.02 worth!
                      Obviously I would rather homeseer direct their efforts into HS3 features/fixes and mobile features etc more than into the forum.

I can also agree that an "upgrade" would be a disaster and would probably be a total failure. There's too much in this forum to upgrade. The only sensible way would be to put this site into read-only and stand up a new forum for people to post in. But if it comes down to improving HS3 or improving the forum I'm for improving HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

My 0.02 worth!
                        I agree.

One of the forums I use (OEM) has changed to something that looks horribly like the Discourse forum and the usability has plummeted, just for the sake of a look which wastes screen real estate (seems to be the fashion at the moment, the number of websites that have enormous scrolling screens with almost no useful information is depressing) and a few pointless social media features.

Keep it as it is.

Comment

Suprising responses FYI discourse is free and opensource, you only pay if you want it hosted and support. you can install on your own servers from the github repo below

https://github.com/discourse/discourse

but i use both the smarthings and hubitat discourse forums, i like how well it presents data like code and especially how well linking github works. but overall how easy it is keeping track of my posts. i don't need to choose to subscribe to a thread etc.. its front and center as soon as you log in.

I personally feel more engaged and involved in those forums than i do here.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzysb View Post

...... but overall how easy it is keeping track of my posts. i don't need to choose to subscribe to a thread etc.. its front and center as soon as you log in.
                            In the forum options, select one of the thread subscription options (as shown below) and you will be automatically subscribed to that thread when you post. Just logon using the following link to see all your subscribed posts:

https://forums.homeseer.com/subscription.php

Simple!
                            Attached Files
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzysb View Post
                              Suprising responses FYI discourse is free and opensource, you only pay if you want it hosted and support. you can install on your own servers from the github repo below

https://github.com/discourse/discourse

but i use both the smarthings and hubitat discourse forums, i like how well it presents data like code and especially how well linking github works. but overall how easy it is keeping track of my posts. i don't need to choose to subscribe to a thread etc.. its front and center as soon as you log in.

I personally feel more engaged and involved in those forums than i do here.
                              Off topic but I frequent to those forums as well

Comment

Originally posted by spike5884 View Post
                                Me old school. All I need is a plain & simple forum.
                                Jump on. Read what is new. Done.

I don't need all the social fluff that comes with the new stuff!
                                I agree with you.

- Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X