Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to update Ubuntu in Hometroller SEL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway to update Ubuntu in Hometroller SEL?

Hometroller (at least the one I received) comes with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + Mono RUNTINE 5.10.1.20.

The same will happens if you execute the mono5.sh script from https://homeseer.com/linux/mono5.sh

The problem is that mono-devel is not up to date (still Mono 3 packages). And because of LST 14.04.1 is VERY OLD you cannot update due to a dependency with libglib2.0-0.

homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ sudo apt-get install -s mono-devel
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    mono-devel : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.40.2) but 2.40.0-2 is to be installed
    Recommends: referenceassemblies-pcl but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: msbuild but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

After doing a lot of research (I feel like a Vera user, and that was precisely what I was trying to avoid when I bought a HomeTroller), this cannot be solved. And it affects the way the system works, and what Homeseer's marketing says on its webpage.
    • If you keep the HomeSeer's mix, plugins like HSBuddy and PHLocation have problems (the former crashed). Probably Chromecast and Ecobee, will also exhibit some kind of problems (I have not tested it personally).

• If you keep everything in Mono 3, MeiHarmonyHub doesn't work properly.

so, installing mono-devel using aptitude, like you mentioned in the HSBuddy thread, doesn't work after all?

Comment

Not properly!.. It updated "some" libraries, but not all of them.

Comment

I just updated my SEL to ubuntu server 18.04 and mono 5.12.0.226. Install was easy and everything is running fast and smooth. You can boot from a usb flash drive, just hit delete while booting and you go into bios just like any computer. I mostly followed this guide https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=195851

I used HSBuddy before, but haven't installed it on the new system so I can't tell you if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by weslsew View Post
          I just updated my SEL to ubuntu server 18.04 and mono 5.12.0.226. Install was easy and everything is running fast and smooth. You can boot from a usb flash drive, just hit delete while booting and you go into bios just like any computer. I mostly followed this guide https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=195851

I used HSBuddy before, but haven't installed it on the new system so I can't tell you if it works.
          I'm glad the little write up helped. I need to edit to include a systemd service... in time Maybe later tonight.

I have HSBuddy on my test Linux system based on the same install. It runs. I can't say I use it much other than it just sitting there running

Comment

Thank you for the write up jeubanks.

Your posts got me to update my new Lenova laptop floaters to Ubuntu 18.04.

It took a bit to upgrade the HS3 boxes from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 a ways back.

Still procrastinating here relating to the updating of the HS3 boxes and might put HS3 in the /opt directory as you recommended and as I have done for a couple of other Homeseer users.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jagaliano View Post
              Hometroller (at least the one I received) comes with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + Mono RUNTINE 5.10.1.20.

The same will happens if you execute the mono5.sh script from https://homeseer.com/linux/mono5.sh
              FYI I just built a new Ubuntu 14.04 system to mimick a SEL and used that above script as is and it destroyed my VM.

I had to rebuild the VM and then I used my own instructions from the mono project.

Comment

I’m currently running using Debian 9.5 and I have to say I prefer it to Ubuntu. Use the netinstall image flashed to a USB stick and deselect all packages except SSH server and you get a very minimal and streamlined distribution ready for whatever you want to add on top. In my experience even the server version of Ubuntu comes with a whole whack of packages and services running that are completely unnecessary to most uses. After you get the minimal install of Debian going you just need to:

1. Install Sudo and add the homeseer user you created during Debian setup to the sudo group.
                2. Add the repos for the latest version of Mono and install mono-complete, mono-devel, and mono-vbnc.
                3. Download and untar HS3 Linux and set up a systemd service for it, and away you go.

Comment

Hey marthoc,
                  I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and mono 5.12, and Homseer on my SEL. I am currently not happy with Ubuntu and the mono version does not allow use of asp or aspx scripts/files, so I am thinking of switching to Debian Stretch which is 9.5, I believe.

Then I will stay with mono 5.10 which allows the use of the asp scripts (ie most of jon000's scripts).

My problem is that Ubuntu will just shutdown the computer for a reason I can't figure out. This is not a crash, just shuts down. Looking at the system logs doesn't give me a clue either.

One question, which Debian did you use for the SEL (gigabyte motherboard)?

The following computer architectures are supported in this release:Thanks
                  Bruce

Comment

dbvanb Bruce, I'm actually using a repurposed ASUS Chromebox to host my HomeSeer but I would strongly think that the 64-bit PC (amd64) image would be the one you want. I like using the netinstall image flashed to a USB for installation purposes (found here: amd64), though this will require you to be connected to a network and have a fast internet connection to download the packages necessary for installation.

With respect to installing, I find that you can accept the defaults. When it asks for a username, specify "homeseer" and you can set the password as "hsthsths3" just like the default on a linux system. One change I make is when it comes to package selection (fairly near the end of the install) I deselect everything except "SSH Server" as I don't want a desktop environment or http server, etc.

When you've rebooted into the installed system, log in as root. Then do:

apt update
                    apt upgrade
                    reboot

That will probably install the up-to-date kernel and reboot the system. Then log back in as root and do:

apt install sudo
                    usermod -aG sudo homeseer
                    exit

That will add homeseer to the sudo group and log you out. Log back in as homeseer with password hsthsths3.

To set up Mono, do:

sudo apt install apt-transport-https dirmngr
                    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
                    echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian stable-stretch main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
                    sudo apt update
                    sudo apt install mono-complete mono-devel mono-vbnc

To install HomeSeer, I would use zwolfpack 's script found here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...taller-package . Sounds like he's solved some of the headaches associated with some problems found in the HS3 Linux tar direct from HomeSeer and it's what I'd use if I were reinstalling tomorrow. To do that, download and extract it somewhere on the Debian box then do:

sudo make install-all

That should fetch version 435 from the HS servers and (I think) install it to /usr/local/HomeSeer.

Then do:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
                    sudo systemctl enable homeseer
                    sudo systemctl start homeseer

And you should be off to the races! And HS3 will start automatically when your system reboots.

Any questions, let me know!

Comment

Marthoc,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to give it a try over the next few days.

Bruce

Comment

To over-simplify and shorten this post, I just finished building a Zotac Nano with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the latest stable version of Mono complete and Mono-vbnc. I copied my entire HomeSeer directory over connected my interfaces to the USB ports and fired it up.
                        Although the errors I had been getting with MyQ and HSBuddy in the stock HomeTroller SEL were gone, the X10 plug-in started properly but none of my X10 devices were controllable. I checked the log I’d discovered continuous messages about not being able to connect to the CM-15 interface. Logging in via ssh and doing a lsusb command, it confirmed the hardware was not at fault as the USB port showed the the interface was present.
                        The whole reason I went with Homeseer was to overcome obsolescence, but I’m discovering that since the X10 and Insteon plug-ins are legacy plugins and no longer supported, I may not be able to upgrade to HS4 which I bought.
                        Without support from Homeseer engineers updating legacy apps many of us that still have too many X10 &/or Insteon devices to replace are stuck with plugins that are not forward compatible.
                        For now I’ve gone back to my original configuration which won’t support the MyQ app that I also bought.
                        Any suggestions for reasonable solutions would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Twinlead View Post
                          T...Without support from Homeseer engineers updating legacy apps many of us that still have too many X10 &/or Insteon devices to replace are stuck with plugins that are not forward compatible.
                          For now I’ve gone back to my original configuration which won’t support the MyQ app that I also bought.
                          Any suggestions for reasonable solutions would be appreciated.
                          For Insteon you might look into mnsandler's plugin. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...nsandler?f=792

Comment

I am still using a CM11A / W800 with Homeseer 3 running in Linux and it is doing fine here.

Been using X10 since the late 1970's and never have used a CM15A.

The CM15A X10 plugin is doing fine and works great in Linux. Have a look here ==> X10 (HomeSeer)

Most if not all of the USB to Serial cables work fine in Linux. Sure bet USB to Serial here is Digi Edgeports (> 20 years).
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you!
                              I sorta got off on a rant, my issue isn't with the CM15A not working in Linux in general because it works fine with the stock HomeTroller SEL (Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS) but doesn't work with HS3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. The plugin starts and runs, but won't control any X10 devices. Checking the log shows "Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused". I know it isn't a hardware or OS issue but I'm thinking it could be a rights issue. I have a CM11A that I can try but I've always used the CM15A without issue...until now!

Comment

Working...
                              X