Suggestions for a UPB Powerline Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a UPB Powerline Interface

Are any UPB Powerline Interfaces (PIM) better or worse than any others? I'll probably go serial port as I here there are some problems with the USB variety. That's O.K. because I just added an 8 port serial card.

Lets see, you have PCS, HAI, Simply Automated, etc..

Most of them are based off the original PCS design, so I have not seen any issues with one over the other.

The issue with the USB devices is actually a Windows issue where Windows has problems with the power going out on an HID device without the device actually being disconnected.

Jon

Originally posted by anogee
    Are any UPB Powerline Interfaces (PIM) better or worse than any others? I'll probably go serial port as I here there are some problems with the USB variety. That's O.K. because I just added an 8 port serial card.

Lets see, you have PCS, HAI, Simply Automated, etc..
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

So if power is lost at the outlet where the USB PIM is plugged in, then Windows will have problems with the communication (and HS will be hosed until Windows is restarted). Sounds like I spent a lot of money on a USB PIM for no good reason, then...

Comment

This appears to be an issue with at least one brand of UPB PIM. The same is true for the Insteon interface I'm working with.

Jon

Originally posted by GatorKWM
        So if power is lost at the outlet where the USB PIM is plugged in, then Windows will have problems with the communication (and HS will be hosed until Windows is restarted). Sounds like I spent a lot of money on a USB PIM for no good reason, then...
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Sounds like a Windows "power-save" feature. There has to be a way to turn that off in Windows.

Comment

The power save can be disabled in the USB Root Hub. But I am not sure if that fixes the issues. I am using the Insteon PLC but this may apply.

I found the following MS DevCon utility, which is a command line interface into Device Manager. You can use it to disable the USB HID interface and re-enable via a batch file, if that resolves your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q311272

You can get a list of device drivers using "devcon status *". To disable a device driver you would enter "devcon disable <id>" where id is the driver id. The id is USB\VID_10BF&PID_0004\5&36C701F9&0&2 on my system, and you can enter wildcards like "devcon disable USB\VID_10BF*" as long as the id is unique.

I haven't had a failure since I found this, when/if I do I will test and post results.

Comment

Working...
            X