Baby Proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Proof

I am curious if anyone knows if a turned off X-10 outlet can still cause a shock? Either the in wall or plug-in type.

I obviously would not use this in place of the plug covers for an open outlet, but it is pretty good added protection for plugs in use. If when the outlet is off and the baby pulls out the cord, there is no real danger, that would be great.

Anybody know?

I'd be more concerned about the fact that it may be really easy to partially pull/knock a module out of the socket - leaving it in a state where the prongs are still in the outlet but exposed to little fingers. The modules may be much easier for little hands to grasp/push than a cord.

Comment

If when you say a turned off X10 appliance you mean turned off by an X10 command then the technical answer is YES as they still pass current, thats how they recieve the commands. The current is minimal, the chances of an adult even noticing it is minimal, however, everyone is different.

Smee made a comment about he would be more worried about a plug unit being partially out of the socket. That made me think, and check on a X10 plug in type unit. In the UK if a plug or X10 unit approved for use here is slightly unpluged it has lost contact with the mains supply. Our units, anything that plugs into the mains and is less than approx. 20 years old have the contact pins (Live and Nutreal) covered in plastic except for the last bit. Result, before any live part is exposed to the hand it has no ontact with the power.

I would say, if they are installed properly, not tampered with, and are meeting the standards required, there is no danger. She Who Must Be Obayed's hair dryer is probably more dangerous.
      Hell at the end of the day the old electric model railways were more dangerous.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

One other thought, even IF the X10 outlet is in the OFF state, most X10 plugs only have one of the 2 outlets switched, thus the other one is ALWAYS live.

My parent tell me a story of when I once stuck a fork in a socket when I was small, maby thats whats wrong with me!
        Visit My Home Seer Site at:
        www.JohnWPB.com
        Created with LCARS

Comment

It sure explains the hair in your picture.....

Havent I seen you in an episode of Scooby doo?

One of those medlin' kids?

Dave

Comment

Actually it was a different cartoon altogether, my parents nicknamed me "Dennis the Menace" (No Joke).
            Visit My Home Seer Site at:
            www.JohnWPB.com
            Created with LCARS

Comment

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X