This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Documentation?

I just installed the plugin via the browser and cannot find any documentation on how to install a switch in HS 2.0. I have about 45 Insteon switches and the USB interface. How do I get the individual address for each switch so I can enter it into the config section of the plugin?

The Insteon addresses are a 6 digit hexadecimal address on a sticker on the face of every switch. The format is xx.yy.zz. Yes, if you didn't write them down when installing, you will have to take the switch plate off to see the sticker.

Comment

Thanks...do I need to do anything with the Insteon Device Manager?

Comment

You go to the HS 2 setup page and click the config button for the plug-in. then you select the add device option and give it the Insteon address.

Jon

Originally posted by Near76
        Thanks...do I need to do anything with the Insteon Device Manager?
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

do I need to do anything with the Insteon Device Manager?
          Do you mean the Smarthome Device Manager? Aside from installing it? No. It just sits down there in the tray.

Few other thoughts...

- There is no distinction between a switch and a dimmer. Switches will be shown as a dimmer on the Status page.

- Since you have so many switches, I would highly recommend testing with a switch or dimmer that you can see and interact with physically. That way you won't waste a bunch of time if you have problems with the plug-in.

- I would go ahead and get the ID number from all the devices, though. Sooner or later, you're going to need them.

Eric

Comment

Thanks...I'll give it a try tonight. A few more questions, though:

1. 3 and 4-way dimmers - Do I only need to add the device of the dimmer connected to the load and LEDs on the slaves will follow suit?

2. Insteon KeypadLincs...how do I get individual buttons to trigger events. I saw this question posted, but there wasn't a clear answer...do I need to link them with the Powerlinc controller?

3. Do all Insteon devices need to be linked with the Powerlinc controller to function properly with HS?

4. My Powerlinc was purchased over the summer and the FW is most likely not the latest...will I run into problems?

Comment

1) If I remember correctly you can't get the LEDs to sync right now. I could be wrong but at least in the firmware versions that I have you can't and I don't recall them making any changes to fix that.

2) The only way right now to get the keypadlinc buttons to trigger an event is to have them send an X10 command.

3) Right now there is no advantage to manually linking the interface to a switch. If this is ever supported by the plug-in it will be taken care of within the software with no manual linking needed.

4) Right now most things will work with the older firmware but SmartHome is indicating that at some point the SDM will not work with it. They are swapping them for free, take advantage of it.

Jon

Thanks...I'll give it a try tonight. A few more questions, though:

1. 3 and 4-way dimmers - Do I only need to add the device of the dimmer connected to the load and LEDs on the slaves will follow suit?

2. Insteon KeypadLincs...how do I get individual buttons to trigger events. I saw this question posted, but there wasn't a clear answer...do I need to link them with the Powerlinc controller?

3. Do all Insteon devices need to be linked with the Powerlinc controller to function properly with HS?

4. My Powerlinc was purchased over the summer and the FW is most likely not the latest...will I run into problems?
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com
              (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Working...
              X