This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-in Status

An official beta of the HomeSeer Insteon basic plug-in should be available later on today.

This plug-in enables the following functionality when coupled with HomeSeer 2 and the SmartHome PowerLinc V2 interface:

1) Confirmed control of Insteon lighting modules. On/Off and direct dim support is complete. If the lighting module does not respond to the command the status of the HomeSeer device will be set to Unknown.

2) X10 transmission and reception. All X10 house and device codes can be sent and received.

3) Polling of Insteon modules. The Plug-in supports the HomeSeer polling interface so that the current status of a module can be determined. Please note that at this time HomeSeer supports scheduled polling only on Z-Wave devices.

What is *not* yet present:

1) Awareness of commands sent by other controllers to a lighting module. There will be a separate thread about this limitation.

2) The ability to link devices through software. Again we will need a separate thread on this.

3) Due to a current limitation in the SmartHome SDM interface extended X10 and preset dim commands are not yet supported. This should be resolved shortly.

The plug-in relies on the SmartHome Device Manager (or SDM). Because of the continuously changing nature of the Insteon protocol and PowerLinc firmware the SDM is used as the software interface to the PowerLinc controller. This allows the SDM to be updated with firmware changes instead of having to update the plug-in all the time.

Jon
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Didn't realize I was in a race

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

Is this going to be a free or paid plugin?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I was trying to drop a hint, but until the HS folks wanted it public I couldn't say much. I think with the marketing dollars SmartHome is putting behind Insteon there is going to be a number of folks wanting to move to it. The NDA poses a bit of a problem when trying to discuss the limitations that we face in getting Insteon to play nice with HomeSeer or any other smart controller. It's a good thing I never agreed to it ;>

Jon

Originally posted by brothers
        Didn't realize I was in a race

- Dennis Brothers
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

This one is free. With Insteon being in flux it is unknown if there will need to be something beyond the basic one.

Jon

Originally posted by Rupp
          Is this going to be a free or paid plugin?
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
            I was trying to drop a hint
            It was actually pretty obvious - I just didn't know how close you were, and it was getting _really_ annoying to have a bunch of my lights not functioning remotely because they were still on X10.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

Oman,
              What computer interface will the plugin work with? Will be be able to keep our PowerLinc USB and add an additional unit that controls insteon or will we need to buy a "combo" unit.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Just a quick note that I'm ready to help test.

I've got 13 switches installed so far (many 3 / 4 way circuts linked). As Rupp mentioned in another thread, I bought the switches for the low cost (and X10 compatible), not for the Insteon features. I'm very happy with how things have installed after I figured out the manuals were online and not included in boxes.

- Jeff

Comment

The Plug-in supports the powerlinc V2, which is an Insteon X10 combo unit. The X10 and Insteon functionality of the plug-in can be enabled separately so that that you can still use a different interface for X10 control if you want.

The PowerLinc USB V1 does not do Insteon. The only one that does is the PowerLinc V2. So in any case in order to do Insteon you will need a new interface.

Jon

Originally posted by Rupp
                  Oman,
                  What computer interface will the plugin work with? Will be be able to keep our PowerLinc USB and add an additional unit that controls insteon or will we need to buy a "combo" unit.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I think they work very well in X10 mode as well, though if you used Insteon linking instead of common X10 addressing then you are using both Insteon and X10.

The use you describe is actually very common and is also the major big-time nightmare scenerio when it comes to proper Insteon support for HA applications :>

Jon

Originally posted by Jeff Doolittle
                    Just a quick note that I'm ready to help test.

I've got 13 switches installed so far (many 3 / 4 way circuts linked). As Rupp mentioned in another thread, I bought the switches for the low cost (and X10 compatible), not for the Insteon features. I'm very happy with how things have installed after I figured out the manuals were online and not included in boxes.

- Jeff
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Oman,

Will you be authoring this plugin? I really think the ACRF plugin is a great bit of work and hope you will be involved in this plugin, as we all have faith and confidence in your ability to produce a great plugin.
                      Thanks,

T.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

If there is enough demand for a full-featured Insteon plug-in then I'm sure the HomeSeer folks will want it done. I've created this one to function as a strarting point. Getting to the next stage will require some maturing on the Insteon tool set side of things and some real coding time on the plug-in. It's all about customer demand.

Jon

Originally posted by Tcassio
                        Oman,

Will you be authoring this plugin? I really think the ACRF plugin is a great bit of work and hope you will be involved in this plugin, as we all have faith and confidence in your ability to produce a great plugin.
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Insteon Plugin

From Looking around this board I would say there is demand I have not switched to Insteon yet but that is largely do to the fact the devices are so limited right now. But with the money smarthome has been throwing at it I do not see them walking away to fast so I think once the plug-ins and everything is in place to make this work dependably it will be in a very high demand. From what I have heard of the speed difference I am looking forward to testing some equipment but until there are motion sensors I will just wait and see what happens.

I also agree that if you (Jon) are involved in the plug-in dev it will be a very large bonus to us users because I have always had very little trouble using your wireless plug-in not like some of the other plug-ins available that I have had to fight with some to the point of just trashing the idea because they were not dependable enough.

Just my Two cents on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                          X