X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB Insteon vs Zwave vs Other

Hello all,

I've been with Homeseer for aproximately 2 years and have an extensive X10 system with motion detectors and the works. I have been marginally happy with my 99% or so signal fidelity but a small irritation is the lack of status update in homseer when I turn on a light using the wall wort (I know, no signal broadcast).

I recently installed halogen lights in my study and it's interfering with the x10 switch in the room. I started perusing the options and became interested in insteon or zwave for additionall capbilities (including the status reporting detailed above).

Insteon seems the way to go but here are my essential questions, if you wouldn't mind a little pre-purchase virtual troubleshooting.

1) Has anyone had significant compatiblity issues jumping to the V2 usb controller with previous set up X10 (I'd ideally like to unplug my x10 controller and drop in the insteon)?

2) What switch would you recommend for my study (halogen lights)? Ideally I'd like to turn the switch on and have it turn on a corner lamp simultaneously or hit it twice to have only the study lights on.

3) Is there any compelling reason to consider z-wave as a competing format?

Thank you very much in advance for any input. I love this stuff!
    -Lammy

Lammy,
    You may want to spend some time reading in the new Insteon forums. there appears to be some folks having powerline noise issues with Insteon as well. I for one have both Z-Wave and Insteon installed. I'm using my Insteon switches in X10 "mode". I love the fact that they are cheaper and instantly report their status in the X10 mode. Currently if using Insteon switches in Insteon mode the only way to get their status is to poll them. This is the same for Z-Wave switches. One alarming (at least to me) problem with Z-Wave is the recent price increases that the switches are experiencing. If you have powerline noise problems then Z-Wave may be the way to go though.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the input Rupp,

Are you using both the RF and the powerline aspects of Insteon? Their whitepaper seems to really tout the benefits. I thought my line noies issues (although minor) would be history. Thanks for the input, that's exactly the kind of stuff I want to know before I jump in.

Does the HS plugin poll the devices automatically?

-L

Comment

1) Insteon right now is a power line protocol with RF "help" in the form of the RFLincs. They can help you get signal across the phases and also help to full in dead spots.

2) Z-wave has been fighting a patent problem with instant device reports. Because Insteon is (mostly) power line it doesn't have the same problem with the patent, but it does require some hoops and tricks that are not yet in the plug-in to get accurate instant level change reports.

3) HomeSeer only has auto-polling for Z-wave devices. I have seen at least one script that adds timed polling for Insteon devices.

Jon

Originally posted by Lamouris
        Thanks for the input Rupp,

Are you using both the RF and the powerline aspects of Insteon? Their whitepaper seems to really tout the benefits. I thought my line noies issues (although minor) would be history. Thanks for the input, that's exactly the kind of stuff I want to know before I jump in.

Does the HS plugin poll the devices automatically?

-L
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
          1) Insteon right now is a power line protocol with RF "help" in the form of the RFLincs. They can help you get signal across the phases and also help to full in dead spots.

2) Z-wave has been fighting a patent problem with instant device reports. Because Insteon is (mostly) power line it doesn't have the same problem with the patent, but it does require some hoops and tricks that are not yet in the plug-in to get accurate instant level change reports.

3) HomeSeer only has auto-polling for Z-wave devices. I have seen at least one script that adds timed polling for Insteon devices.

Jon
          Hmmm, given the above it sounds like I was selling Z-wave short. Maybe it is better suited for my application. Just out of curiosity what are professionals using in their production model smart homes (I am thinking of mansions in aspen)? This is OT, but may guide me.

Comment

Hardwired lighting systems are the most common for the mega-homes. RadioRA seems to have some traction with the pros.

Retrofits go just about all over the board. Z-Wave has issues with large homes when the devices are sometimes far apart. Insteon is too new to have any traction there yet.

I've seen some pros starting to do UPB. I don't know who will win, but one thing is for sure - they can't all survive.

Jon

Originally posted by Lamouris
            Hmmm, given the above it sounds like I was selling Z-wave short. Maybe it is better suited for my application. Just out of curiosity what are professionals using in their production model smart homes (I am thinking of mansions in aspen)? This is OT, but may guide me.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I see. Well, for my purposes, I don't need "real time" updating, but something on the order of 5 minutes would suffice, even if by script. I'm just thinking of nights I'm working late and would like to see if anyone is up with lights on. I'm also intereseted in HVAC control, which I've been leery of based sole on x10.

I haven't considered UPB, maybe I should look at that as well before I lay down the $$$. My home isn't a palace (2000sqft) so I'm not so concerned with range, but interference is an issue and I'm in an urban area cluttered with RF interference (my w800 constantly misfires false positive signal reception).

Originally posted by Oman
              Hardwired lighting systems are the most common for the mega-homes. RadioRA seems to have some traction with the pros.

Retrofits go just about all over the board. Z-Wave has issues with large homes when the devices are sometimes far apart. Insteon is too new to have any traction there yet.

I've seen some pros starting to do UPB. I don't know who will win, but one thing is for sure - they can't all survive.

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X