No announcement yet.

Hardware/Server Options for Running HS3 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to run everything in my house on VMWare. You can get the free version of ESXi. This lets me easily dedicate a VM to Homeseer and whatever else I need. Plus the VM is easy to migrate to new hardware if I ever need.

I understand this may be beyond the abilities of some users, but it's been a great solution for me.

Comment

Yes there are many folks today running Homeseer 3 in a Linux or Wintel based VM.

Easy peasy stuff these days.

Here run Homeseer Designer on a Wintel server VM and do similiar with other Homeseer stuff like Microsoft SAPI.

Homeseer 3 today lets you run plugins on whatever OS connecting to the Homeseer mothership.

Here have been testing plugin by plugin doing this sort of stuff.

Today running the Kinect (lately it's been Grace) / Alexa plugin on Wintel remotely connecting to the Ubuntu Homeseer mothership.

IE: I can tell the Kinect Grace to turn on or off the Alexa plugin such that Alexa is used on demand only.
      Last edited by Pete; May 13, 2016, 03:30 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I agree that a VM is not too difficult these days. Not running a lot of windows stuff so I will go with the native W10 box for now but will probably run designer on a VM on my mac. Joey, good point on moving things via the VM. It makes it a snap.

Pete, thanks for the heads up on the Windows based tablets. Feedback on Android and iOS devices was concerning to me. I'm fine with any tablet for a home based client. I think someone mentioned ImperiHome earlier. Does anyone use it extensively? Does it integrate with HS easily? I tried it with my Vera setup which has only a couple devices. Seems to cover the basic tasks that you might want to perform remotely. May be an option.

Comment

I found an extensive thread on ImperiHome. A plugin has been developed for HS. Haven't read the whole thing but it sounds very promising. As I mentioned earlier, it seems to be a solid app for mobile devices and a good compliment to HSTouch.

Comment

Yup; here find it easier to remote manage the Wintel clients via Homeseer mainline without monkeying around with the OS.

You can run Homeseer on your MAC. I think there are a few people doing that today. I have one around here and give it try in the next few weeks.

Here shut off or suspend the touchscreens with a one liner or run exe's remotely while the client is on. IE: I can remotely shut off HSTouch and remotely turn on KODI or Squeezeplayer or whatever.

Jon00RCCNM.vben("main","1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+ 16 || monoff ")
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X