Pairing remote devices - Vera vs Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pairing remote devices - Vera vs Homeseer

If you have a device that can't reach Vera directly when pairing you can bring the controller to the device (battery pack+wifi). But with HomeSeer running on a PC+Z-wave.Me stick (seems to be the HS recommended stick) I figure that solution would be a bit harder.

Just curious how you guys solve this?

Originally posted by Freddan101 View Post
    If you have a device that can't reach Vera directly when pairing you can bring the controller to the device (battery pack+wifi). But with HomeSeer running on a PC+Z-wave.Me stick (seems to be the HS recommended stick) I figure that solution would be a bit harder.

Just curious how you guys solve this?
    I bring the device to HS in those cases. For mains powered devices, I do a temporary hookup for them near my HS computer.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

For new devices that would work for me as well but I would rather not dismount the devices that I already have installed behind wall switches so in those cases I need some other solution.

If you bring your device to HS, pair it and then move the device to its permanent place, will that have any negative effect regarding HS learning the best path between the device and HS? Vera has always recommended to bring the controller to the device because of this. Maybe HS handles this matter in a better way?

Comment

I have a temporary bench setup as well near my HS computer to add nodes. I even hardwire in-wall devices this way while adding them. Once they've been added to the configuration I hardwire them into their final location and run a network optimization. to fix up the routing.

--Ken

BTW, It looks like the Z-Net interface supports WiFi and USB power so it could be run off of a battery pack and moved close to installed nodes.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I use the Z-net. My house is pretty well wired for Ethernet. For any longer runs, I have 50' ethernet cables. I just move the z-net to the location I need to add the node from, add it and then move it back. It has the added benefit of me being able to locate the Z-net where it makes most sense in the house, which may not be where the Homeseer computer is.

Comment

If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go with the Z-Net interface.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

For new devices that would work for me as well but I would rather not dismount the devices that I already have installed behind wall switches so in those cases I need some other solution.

If you bring your device to HS, pair it and then move the device to its permanent place, will that have any negative effect regarding HS learning the best path between the device and HS? Vera has always recommended to bring the controller to the device because of this. Maybe HS handles this matter in a better way?
              All you need to do is optimize it after you move it into its final place. This can be done from the z-wave tab in the root device that is created in HS for it.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain to move them, although most devices can be included from relatively far away, so it hasn't been an issue for me. I used to use the z-troller which had batteries, and I used it to include most of my devices. I now use the z-net, which can be moved closer if needed.

Cheers
              Al
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

The Z-net looks pretty nice I must say. Onboard wifi is a big plus. Have you experienced any delay in Z-wave communication compared to when you had a Z-wave controller directly hooked up to the HS server?

I will probably start with a Z-Wave.me stick while trying things out. I also read about the VirtualHere software that could be installed on a Pi for example and together with a USB stick mimic the Z-net functionality. Though, I don't know how reliable/fast such solution would be.

Comment

The Z-net looks pretty nice I must say. Onboard wifi is a big plus. Have you experienced any delay in Z-wave communication compared to when you had a Z-wave controller directly hooked up to the HS server?

I will probably start with a Z-Wave.me stick while trying things out. I also read about the VirtualHere software that could be installed on a Pi for example and together with a USB stick mimic the Z-net functionality. Though, I don't know how reliable/fast such solution would be.
                  That is definitely a new addition (I see as of 7/18), an a great one at that! Mine does not have that, but personally, I would only use the Wifi during remote inclusion (where I have to move the device). During normal operation I would still use Ethernet, but that is one of my things. If a device is stationary and it has ethernet, it is hard wired in.

Comment

I have tried several different ways of setting remote devices. The first three are really very similar solutions.

a) "HomeSeer Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Plus Interface", which is actually a special version of HS running from a RaspberryPI (first model), that included the z-wave+ interface. I added a USB Wi-fi interface myself. Everything was powered by portable Sony 5V battery (designed to add extra-power for smartphones);
                    b) "HomeSeer HomeTroller Zee S2 Home Automation Controller". It's a special incarnation of HS3 for Linux, with everything pre-installed, including the z-wave interface. It's, however, limited to 5-plugins. I added a USB Wi-fi interface myself. Again, everything was powered by the same portable Sony 5V battery mentioned above;
                    c) "HS3 for Linux license", running from a RaspberryPi2 I setup myself, again with the addition of a USB Wi-fi interface. Everything was powered by the same portable Sony 5V battery. Oh, and I also had to add one "HomeSeer SmartStick+ USB Z-Wave Interface";
                    d) HS3 for Windows running from a Zotac barebones system (https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en970). The Magnus is a MINI-PC Intel based box, that I originally had setup to run BlueIris security camera management software. Even though this box includes wi-fi, whenever I needed to take it near the wall mounted switches, I simply mounted it on top of a portable bench, powered it from a nearby AC outlet and connected a long ethernet cable to one of the nearby sockets. For z-wave, I added one "HomeSeer SmartStick+ USB Z-Wave Interface".

In all of the above, HS never missed a single z-wave device addition.

In my opinion, option c) may be the best for people starting from scratch, provided they are not afraid of installing/configuring Linux on the Raspberry PI 2... Search elsewhere on this forum and you may find complete instructions on how to setup your own Raspberry PI2 or 3 with Debian, Mono and HS3 for Linux. Good Luck!
                    Last edited by cesarvog; August 9, 2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Will a Pi3 have enough power to run HS3 and a lot of plugins, TTS etc? I also understand that not all plugins are supported on Linux?

Z-Net is very interesting with the possibility to place it anywhere (with the wifi option) and add more interfaces as needed. Does anybody know if it would be possible to connect an RFXtrx to the Z-Net?

Comment

Working...
                      X