Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery with UPS and Back-up generator

Plugin version 1.1.2.6

My homeseer computer is connected to a UPS, so when there's a power failure, it and all the peripherals, including the Hue hub, keep working.

Also, I have a back-up generator that starts up and restores power within about 20 seconds after the power failure. So the Hue lights in the house are never off for more than about 20 seconds. This doesn't seem to be enough time for the hub/plugin to discover the lights were unreachable, in spite of a polling frequency of 3.0 seconds. So whenever there's a power failure, all the Hue bulbs in the house turn on, and recovery doesn't turn them off.

I am able to determine when AC power is restored because my UPS device sends homeseer a message. What I'd like to do is use that message to trigger the plugin's recovery routine, but I can't figure out how to do it. Is it possible?
    Last edited by baudi; March 1, 2017, 02:55 PM.

David,

This might be a hard one. The Philips bridge only reports being unreachable when it does not get responses from a bulb after some tries. This is somewhere around 20 or 30 seconds as far I found by testing. Only then the bridge starts reporting "unreachable" . So the plugin can only save settings for the bulbs after say 30 seconds of being unreachable. That means that when power is down for only 20 seconds, the recover function of the plugin will not trigger and your bulbs are on at bright white settings. The plugin will never be able to catch that as long the Hue bridge is not reporting on it.

Does your UPS also send a timely warning when power goes down? You might then be able to trigger an event with a script that saves the current state of bulbs to a file. Then when power returns you could set the bulbs back by scripting?

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Yes, my UPS does report that it's running on battery power. I'll follow your advice and use that to trigger a backup of Hue light states, then restore those states when the UPS reports it's running on AC power again.

Thanks.

Comment

By the way, a nice-to-have feature would be the ability to trigger your plugin's backup/restore processes from event actions.

Comment

Working...
        X