Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fibaro Dimmer 2 - start of a long journey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibaro Dimmer 2 - start of a long journey!

I'm at the very start of my home automation! I've an old house that is about to be completely rewired and I'll then be putting automation in. I figured you don't really know what you want and what is possible until you play around with bits so I've bought some bits (sensors, switches, relays etc etc) and am trying them out with Homeseer. I think I'll learn lots this way and be in a much better shape when it comes to knowing what to do when rewiring.

Anyway - I've already encountered my first challenge on my test room. The room is an ensuite to the master bedroom but also has a door to the hallway. The lighting is 2way (like stairway) using pull switches i.e. a switch on door to bedroom and another to door to hallway. I've a Fibraro Dimmer 2 and also an Aeon multi sensor.

I've setup the Dimmer as per instructions (including parameter settings )and it works fine with the switches. I can switch on or off with either.

It is a bit bizzare that either switch toggles switch 2 even though they are wired one to S2 and one to S1. The manual says that is how it should be. Although they both toggle S2 the lighting is 'on' S1....i.e. in Homeseer if I manually switch S2 on using the program nothing happens whereas if I manually switch S1 on then the light comes on. Using the physical switches though when I pull to switch the light on S2 shows on in Homeseer and the light lights up. And this is where I think I have a problem!

If I use the motion sensor I have to tell it to toggle Switch 1 to get the light to come on. That is fine. If however I then want to switch the light of manually I have to pull the switch twice. What is happening is the first pull switches S2 on (even though light is already on) and second pull then switches if off and the lihgt.

So I'm struggling to work out how to get the switch to turn off in one go! Hope this makes sense and I'm not being too stupid!

Any pointers at all?

The issue (I think you have) is that during the inclusion process the Z-Wave plug-in incorrectly creates 2 "Switch Multilevel" devices for a Dimmer 2. If I remember it also creates another ghost "Power" device.

The solution is to simply delete the ghost devices from the main HS3 device management page, then the correct (remaining) device(s) will update properly.

It may also be the case that you will have to manually edit the "Switch Multilevel 1" device's value status pairs to get the "On Last Level" button.

The attached pictures show:
    Node Info for a correctly configured Dimmer 2 (Note that I have renamed the devices)
    Device management page view of same device.
    Value / Status pairs of same device.

Paul..
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the super reply Paul.

I deleted switch 2 and now everything works off switch 1 like you said.

I still have the problem though. I've stripped everything back to basics, all events off, motion sensor off.

If I use physical switch then 1 click - light on. 2nd click light off.

If I use homeseer to turn switch on then light comes on but I have to then use the physical switch twice to turn it off. The weird thing is the first physical switch isn't resulting in anything being generated in the log either! Below is the log. Bottom item is homeseer turning it on. 2nd entry is the the physical switch switching it off but nothing logged for first switch.

Jul-29 3:39:10 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 10 Z-Wave Switch Multilevel 1 Set to OFF
      Jul-29 3:39:06 PM Device Control Device: Node 10 Z-Wave Switch Multilevel 1 to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

I wonder if it is a problem with them being toggle switches - even though I have the toggle setting enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by budejake View Post
        Thanks for the super reply Paul.

I deleted switch 2 and now everything works off switch 1 like you said.

I still have the problem though. I've stripped everything back to basics, all events off, motion sensor off.

If I use physical switch then 1 click - light on. 2nd click light off.

If I use homeseer to turn switch on then light comes on but I have to then use the physical switch twice to turn it off. The weird thing is the first physical switch isn't resulting in anything being generated in the log either! Below is the log. Bottom item is homeseer turning it on. 2nd entry is the the physical switch switching it off but nothing logged for first switch.

Jul-29 3:39:10 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 10 Z-Wave Switch Multilevel 1 Set to OFF
        Jul-29 3:39:06 PM Device Control Device: Node 10 Z-Wave Switch Multilevel 1 to On (99) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

I wonder if it is a problem with them being toggle switches - even though I have the toggle setting enabled.
        Sorry I can't comment on the behaviour with toggle (bi-stable) switches as all my switches are the momentary type but the manual would suggest that you have toggle the switch on-off for on last level and on-off-on-off for full on which is basically what the momentary switch does.

Not really sure what the switch type parameter does.

Paul..

Comment

Any idea whether this has been fixed? Just got one, 9 months after the last post on here, and having the same problem. Deleting the second switch device seems to cause more errors. Can't get the switch to come on. It comes on manually, but from HS3 it says on, then back to off without ever doing anything.

Comment

Working...
          X