Moving from Qolsys / Alarm.com to HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Qolsys / Alarm.com to HomeSeer

• Can 2 completely separate 900mhz z-wave networks exists in the same home; one for the existing alarm and the other for HomeSeer (Fully understanding they will not communicate with each other and not share devices)
    • How well can HomeSeer operate as a sudo-security system.

Equipment / Devices we already have
    • Devon Heos
    • Samsung UN65JU6500FXZA TV
    • Amazon DotOur equipment:
    • GE Light switches (5)
    • GE Dimmer switches (3)
    • Logitech Harmony Smart Control
    • Complete set of Z-Wave door and windows sensors
    • 2 Z-Wave Motion sensors with still cameras
    • Roku 4
    • Synology 1815+ with SurveillanceStation for CCTV

Considering all of the above: What would you advise?

Thank you very much in advance for you feedback.

Cheers Eric

I'm familiar with both HS3 and alarm.com (although with the 2gig gc3 panel, as opposed to Qolsys), so I should be able to provide comments:

(1) Two separate Z-Wave networks should not be a problem, with the caveat that you understand that they will not communicate with one another.

(2) HomeSeer does not recommend HS3 being used as a security system, and indeed in general Z-Wave is not UL-listed for usage as a security system. This is one reason why makers like Qolsys, 2gig, and so on, use Z-Wave *just* for automation, and the security aspects are handled separately from automation.

If you dig around this board, one popular way to integrate HS3 with a security system is to get a DSC alarm system, and then an interface by which HS3 can receive sensor notifications from the DSC, and also arm/disarm the alarm. Envisalink is one such interface.

The question I would have for you is why, if you go with HS3 for Z-Wave, you would keep any devices on the Qolsys Z-Wave? At one old house we had we had an alarm.com 2gig gc2 panel, and I never used the Z-Wave functionality -- instead opting to do all the Z-Wave stuff with HS3. At our new vacation home, I'm going to try just using an alarm.com 2gig gc3 panel for all Z-Wave, although I've already run into the limitations of alarm.com.

That is, HS3 is powerful. Very powerful. However, it will require some time investment to get up and running in the way you want. Once you do that, though, so long as you're not constantly tinkering with your system (which is an affliction that many acquire), it's pretty rock solid. The question is, if you're going to do that time investment, why even keep any Z-Wave stuff on the Qolsys?

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

In your reply you stated "Z-Wave is not UL-listed for usage as a security system. This is one reason why makers like Qolsys, 2gig, and so on, use Z-Wave *just* for automation, and the security aspects are handled separately from automation" This was a supersize to me; I was under the impression (confirmed by the Alarm.com dealer who installed the system for the developer) that the sensors were all Z-Wave devices. I have since done a bit of reading based on your comments and now better understand the wireless security components are on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard an not on the Z-Wave standard. Thank you for opening my eyes on this subject I love learning new things

I do fully intend to move all of the Automation off of the Qolsys system for several reasons not the least of which is rather expensive monthly charges from Alarm.com for the automation service and more importantly the limited functionality and flexibility when compared to that of HomeSeer.

As I mentioned the security aspect is lower on my list of priorities and it is a simple option to continue to use the Qolsys locally with the existing sensors without the monitoring service rather than my idea to move the sensors to the HomeSeer network. This also negates my question regarding multiple Z-Wave networks.

Again thank you for your comments!

Cheers Eric

Comment

Yeah, alarm.com doesn't actually do any of the monitoring -- it's truly there just for the automation aspects. Your central monitoring system doesn't receive any information regarding z-wave devices.

If the Qolsys panel is anything like the 2gig panel, you literally cannot even add Z-Wave sensors to the panel. Only controllable devices.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
          in general Z-Wave is not UL-listed for usage as a security system
          http://www.cepro.com/article/z_wave_...esh_technology.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
          X