Ad Blocking and this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ad Blocking and this forum

We tried an experiment with blocking ad blockers on this site. This struck a cord with many that I did not expect. Ads help pay for services.

However, I have decided to disable the ad block, so you may now enable your ad block on this site if you desire.

I would appreciate you leaving it off when you visit to assist in supporting this site. I keep it off when I visit.

I apologize for the disruption.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    We tried an experiment with blocking ad blockers on this site. This struck a cord with many that I did not expect. Ads help pay for services.

However, I have decided to disable the ad block, so you may now enable your ad block on this site if you desire.

I would appreciate you leaving it off when you visit to assist in supporting this site. I keep it off when I visit.

I apologize for the disruption.
    Thank you Rich......

Comment

Thank you Rich.

Personally here I look all of the time and do not log in. I do prefer typing stuff on a keyboard over my smart phone or tablet today. Must be a baby boomer thing that I cannot let go of.

That said I really don't visit many sites and only moderate a couple of sites today. Well that moderation stuff is mostly manually squashing spam users then bots which is a real PITA lately. Both of aforementioned moderated sites do not have adware running. One is an automation product site and there are many knowledgeable users (globally) that help the newbie users of said product on the forums all of the time. The other site is just paid for by the main moderator/owner of the site. (thinking too that he owns more than one site / moderates a few sites). Many many years ago frequented the AVS forum. Over time it became more of an advertisement site for vendors and it became just way to difficult to navigate in so I quit looking at it. That said business is business.

Whatever... your changes got created an impetus here to get back to viewing news media sites that have enabled this feature and require login now to view news.

I will disable the ad-blocker when I log in and write stuff (well it is now disabled as I type here using Firefox); well and always have kept the sidebar off.
      Last edited by Pete; January 12, 2017, 11:19 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Are you paid for ads that just appear, or do they have to be clicked to generate revenue?

Comment

Personally, the ad right in the middle is annoying. Top half of my browser is taken up with ads and header. With ad block on, I don't have to immediately scroll to see usefull info. I would be OK enabling ads, but prefer that one gone. There is lots of unused space in the header. Why not put it there?

Comment

We get paid if just appears on the screen, you don't have to click on it.

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
            Are you paid for ads that just appear, or do they have to be clicked to generate revenue?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rich.
              The last thing you want to do is give people any reason to NOT read/post to these forums.
              The information here is extremely relevant and useful.
              You will certainly make much more profit by having more readers than making a few pennies from the junkies that will do anything to keep reading.

Comment

BTW yesterday mentioned to Mark that the Quick reply button wasn't working. It is now working fine this morning.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks, Rich.
                  Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Thank you!
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I'm fine both ways. But feel the need to thank you. Not for disabling, but listening to your customers and visitors. Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                        I'm fine both ways. But feel the need to thank you. Not for disabling, but listening to your customers and visitors. Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
                        +1
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks for a nice turnaround and listening.

Personally, I have no problems with the ads. I find them easy to ignore and if they help pay for the forums then that keeps them free for me. I also understand that they bother others more. Kudos to HomeSeer for changing how you handle them.

Comment

Thank you as well. I have no problem with the ads, nor do I have a problem with HST reminding us from time to time that the ads help offset the costs of providing these forums as a valuable resource for the community. It is possible that some members do not understand that blocking the ads reduces revenue.

Revenue is all fungible, it doesn't matter the source. I want HST to profit and survive, because I rely on the products. Ads are a small price to pay toward achieving that.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for listening. I am not a fan of the adds at all. Mostly it is the middle add that draws the most attention. If it could be moved such that it didn't distract from the purpose of the site I would be much less annoyed by it. A new tech spotlight with Amazon affiliates link might be another way to earn some money while also staying within the role of the board. For example, you don't carry Osram stuff in your store, but now have a plugin for it. Same with echo.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                              X