Ad Blocking and this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Thank you as well. I have no problem with the ads, nor do I have a problem with HST reminding us from time to time that the ads help offset the costs of providing these forums as a valuable resource for the community. It is possible that some members do not understand that blocking the ads reduces revenue.

Revenue is all fungible, it doesn't matter the source. I want HST to profit and survive, because I rely on the products. Ads are a small price to pay toward achieving that.
    Well said and I totally agree. I'm all for non-intrusive ads if they help keep the lights on (and off, and on, and off, and dim, and bright, and on again) The fact that the ad blocking blocks were removed so promptly only underscores how tuned-in HST is with their user community.

my .02
    My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Thank you. Appreciate you thinking of us.
      Don

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        I would appreciate you leaving it off when you visit to assist in supporting this site. I keep it off when I visit.
        I will. It's only a couple of ads, not intrusive at all.

However, I still wonder how much is actually made from this...
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Thank you Rich!

Comment

@Rich,
            I'll be happy to turn ads back on in support of the site if the one in middle is removed or moved to title bar.

Comment

When I load this thread with AdBlock enabled the popup asking to turn it off is still there.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Rich,

Personally, I value this and did not have an issue. I hope that the decision you made SHOWS to everyone that HS DOES have the users in mind. So many times I have to bite my tongue when I see posts from people complaining about the way HomeSeer took direction. I think with the resources available it is amazing the things they are accomplishing and honestly was really frustrated with the response from people one this issue as well as a few other posts.

Anyway, next time, please remember this action that was taken. They are balancing needing revenue as well as a DIY community. Ultimately, revenue needs to win or, there cannot be a HS4 or beyond.

Thank you Rich and Mark for explaining the position as best as you could, yet even with the response, it seemed everyone at HS kept their cool - did not let emotion get the better (as it seemed some users had some nearly violent response).

--Dan

P.S. I kept writing "personally, " then writing something I ended up deleting, I do not want to nor start a new flame war!
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I think adding irrelevant adverts to forums by any company selling high end products (which HS3 Pro is) is quite frankly unprofessional. I've just checked competitors sites such as Vera, OpenHAB, SmartThings etc and they don't have any ads on their community forums?

If HST is getting this low to generate income, I'm concerned......

My 2p worth...
                  Jon

Comment

I still get the popup asking to turn off my adblocker if I follow a link from Google: https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165711. For some reason it does not redirect to forums.homeseer.com.
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Try clearing your browser cache, removing cookies et al...

I had disabled the blockers and just re-enabled the ad blockers and restarted the browsers and do not see the pop up anymore.

Note that this is using Linux Firefox, Chrome and Opera and typing this message with Wintel Firefox running right now in a VB.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Try clearing your browser cache, removing cookies et al...

I had disabled the blockers and just re-enabled the ad blockers and restarted the browsers and do not see the pop up anymore.

Note that this is using Linux Firefox, Chrome and Opera and typing this message with Wintel Firefox running right now in a VB.
                        Thanks Pete, using Chrome on W10 and cleared the cache. Happens when I search the forum using Google: https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%...aker+client%22 and then click on one of the links returned.

Cheers
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

@Al,

Gave it a try on a new install of most current version of W10 and Chrome using the links above. IE: went to the linked google search and clicked on one of the links in the search.

Didn't see any issues.
                          Attached Files
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The code was removed last week. Has to be a browser cache problem.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here noticing while the telcos (ISP and Cellular) push the faster speeds; much of the bandwidth is consumed by advertising and now the cellular telcos are massaging your transport. Dealing with less than stellar LTE speeds here depending on a local geographic area opened a service ticket with T-Mobile a few weeks ago and that mentioned to me that the cellular towers are over scribed; which was an honest answer.

One of the things I noticed about the new W10 build is it's new integration with cloud Cortana which slowed down the build a bit for me.

Not really having any issues with bandwidth consumption / slowdowns relating to the home ISP but that could also be relating to using PFSense / multiple interfaces to the inside of my home network.

Wondering if it is relating to the Canadian back end google servers caching rather than the desktop caching stuff?
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It seems that the adblock blocker is still on for all pages that are not the main page. I have cleared caches, and even disabled adblock on subpages and it still comes up unless I reload the page. If I enable adblock, then subpages will not load at all without the white screen.

Sorry to be a pain. Can you please look into this for the subpages?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                                Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                                Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                                X