Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET Will Not Come On-Line

HS3Pro trying to run 3 Z-NET modules.

The first module came on line easily using the Homeseer Z-NET Ethernet interface. The second module would not come on line using the same interface so I switched to the Ethernet Interface, and after a few attempts it finally was recognized by HS3.

The third module will not come on line no matter what I do. The module is easily found through find.homeseer.com and I can update and reboot the module there. As shown in the example below the module is being found but will not respond with the HomeID and Node.

I have researched this forum on the subject and see no definitive answer to this problem. I'd sure appreciate some advice if you have it.

Current Date/Time: 1/19/2017 8:24:43 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.298
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 29 Minutes 32 Seconds
    IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Number of Devices: 60
    Number of Events: 16
    Available Threads: 400

Enabled Plug-Ins
    0.0.0.25: drhsIpPlugIn
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.87: Z-Wave
    Attached Files

Does the green LED light come on the Z-Nets?

If it stays red, then it is not booting up completely and you'll need to hook up an HDMI monitor to see where it is failing in the boot process.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Green Light On

The green light is on.

I have:

started and stopped the Z-Net plug-in.

shutdown and restarted HS3PRO.

shutdown and restarted my computer.

cycled power to the Z-NET module.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbtv View Post
        The green light is on.

I have:

started and stopped the Z-Net plug-in.

shutdown and restarted HS3PRO.

shutdown and restarted my computer.

cycled power to the Z-NET module.
        You said you are using the Ethernet interface. Can you try a different cable and/or different port on your switch?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
          You said you are using the Ethernet interface. Can you try a different cable and/or different port on your switch?
          According to the log HS3 is finding the Z-NET just fine. That would mean that the cable is also fine. Checking the port on the switch and it has no restrictions, and is configured the same as the port next to it which is currently supporting another operating Z-NET module.

What I would like to know is why HS3 is not receiving HomeID and Node information.

Comment

That is sure strange especially since the others are working.
            You might hook up an HDMI monitor and see if anything is happening during boot.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

The US z-net hardware consists of raspberry pi board and a z-wave daughter card. The daughter card contains a z-wave controller chip, z-wave antenna and an RGB LED. On the raspberry pi, a process called ser2net provides the bridge between the z-wave controller and the net.
              The message "connected to interface ok" means that ser2net is reachable and configured. "interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and node" implies that the z-wave controller chip did not return any response (this same behavior occurs when the daughter card is entirely absent).
              I can think of a couple of things that could cause this. The most obvious is that the z-wave controller chip is bad One other possibility is that ser2net is configured for the wrong serial device. On the newest znetv2 version (1.0.23), there is a mechanism to change over to a USB-based z-wave controller. This seems unlikely... but if you can log in, check it via command:

grep 2001 /etc/ser2net.conf

which should return one line containing device name /dev/ttyAMA0
              which is the serial device that services the daughter card.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                The US z-net hardware consists of raspberry pi board and a z-wave daughter card. The daughter card contains a z-wave controller chip, z-wave antenna and an RGB LED. On the raspberry pi, a process called ser2net provides the bridge between the z-wave controller and the net.
                The message "connected to interface ok" means that ser2net is reachable and configured. "interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and node" implies that the z-wave controller chip did not return any response (this same behavior occurs when the daughter card is entirely absent).
                I can think of a couple of things that could cause this. The most obvious is that the z-wave controller chip is bad One other possibility is that ser2net is configured for the wrong serial device. On the newest znetv2 version (1.0.23), there is a mechanism to change over to a USB-based z-wave controller. This seems unlikely... but if you can log in, check it via command:

grep 2001 /etc/ser2net.conf

which should return one line containing device name /dev/ttyAMA0
                which is the serial device that services the daughter card.
                Thank you for your excellent response. This afternoon I contacted Homeseer tech support by phone and discussed the issue with them. Since I too am technically-inclined I agreed to open the case, check that the daughter card was seated and on the correct pins, and verify that the SD card was in place. Everything was as it should be.

I then removed the SD card from a known working unit, copied the files onto a computer, then wrote the contents to the SD card in the module in question. None of this made any difference so, at tech support's recommendation, I applied for an RMA, boxed the unit up and sent it off today for an exchange.

Connecting any of the units to a monitor displayed the same information, except for different IP addresses. No errors were registered on the monitor by either a working or non-working module. If I had seen your suggestions earlier in the day I certainly would have tried to confirm that the ser2net was configured correctly, but time wasn't on my side.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Homeseer is a day away by any carrier and they should have the defective unit in their hands tomorrow.

Comment

New Z-Net

I received the replacement Z-NET from Homeseer yesterday and hooked it into the network this morning. It came up perfectly and is now operating in my system.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
                  X