Zee with USB to RS-232 adapter for X10 CM11A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee with USB to RS-232 adapter for X10 CM11A

Will the Zee allow me to connect my X10 CM11A, which has the old type DB9 pin serial connection to one of its USB ports if I use a USB to serial adapter?

My adapter (translucent blue hoods with a foot long braided cable) worked in the past with WinXP machines and I don't think I had to add any type of driver software for Windows XP to see it, along with what was attached to the DB9 connector.

Some of the older threads here indicated that you had to first eliminate Z-Wave plug ins before adding X10 plug ins. Is this still a requirement?

Since I'm new to the Zee I figured I'd ask before trying in case doing things the wrong way screws stuff up?

And, is this Hardware forum for the Zee the best place to be asking these questions or should I re-post in the X10 area?

Originally posted by LarryB View Post
    Will the Zee allow me to connect my X10 CM11A, which has the old type DB9 pin serial connection to one of its USB ports if I use a USB to serial adapter?

My adapter (translucent blue hoods with a foot long braided cable) worked in the past with WinXP machines and I don't think I had to add any type of driver software for Windows XP to see it, along with what was attached to the DB9 connector.

Some of the older threads here indicated that you had to first eliminate Z-Wave plug ins before adding X10 plug ins. Is this still a requirement?

Since I'm new to the Zee I figured I'd ask before trying in case doing things the wrong way screws stuff up?

And, is this Hardware forum for the Zee the best place to be asking these questions or should I re-post in the X10 area?
    Welcome aboard. I think you are in the right forum, but if you don't get more responses, try a different one.

I'm running a Zee in the garage with a CM11a attached to a USB to RS232 converter and a Z-Stick. It has been working will for over a year, with just the occasional reboot. I can't answer your specific questions simply because I don't remember. I would certainly not worry about screwing things up. Worse case is just to reload everything.

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry & welcome to the HS board!

Your USB-RS232 adapter should work on the Zee, but be aware that some folks have reported issues when using adapters from certain manufacturers, so "your mileage may vary."

I would recommend posting X10 related questions in the X10 plugin forum since this is where X10 discussions are happening and your posts will get the most attention. Anything that relates specifically to the Zee should get posted here. BTW, there are several discussions in the X10 forum about issues related to RS232 adapters.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I hooked up my Zee2 to a CM11a using a Db9 to USB adapter like you describe and it worked fine. Then I added a Zwave device and it suddenly stopped working. I have not been able to get X10 to work since. There is a short thread about it in this forum.
        There is a sticky on how to get z wave and x10 to work at the same time but according to tech support it is obsolete (like a lot of the stickys) and does not apply to the latest version of the Zee2 with built in wi fi. Supposedly nothing special has to be done for X10 and Zwave to co-exist on the same controller now.
        If anyone has similar experience and knows how to fix it I would love to know.

Comment

Working...
        X