First time setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time setup

I am just now getting the plugin and my Arduino setup for the first time. In "Arduino for Homeseer Help" guide there is a note that says to please use IDE version 1.6.8. The latest build from the Arduino site is 1.8.1. Do I have to use 1.6.8 or will anything after 1.6.8 work?

I am sure there will be more questions as i get further down the road.

Originally posted by feman View Post
    I am just now getting the plugin and my Arduino setup for the first time. In "Arduino for Homeseer Help" guide there is a note that says to please use IDE version 1.6.8. The latest build from the Arduino site is 1.8.1. Do I have to use 1.6.8 or will anything after 1.6.8 work?

I am sure there will be more questions as i get further down the road.
    I am guessing you are using beta 1.0.131. That is the best one to use right now.

You have to use the IDE called out by the version you are using. The libraries are specific to the plug-in version. The next release will use 1.8.1, but for now you must use the version called for by the plug-in version you are running.

Greig is working on a new general release that is being tested by a number of users. I know he hopes to have an "official" release soon.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Got it.

Thanks

Comment

I am not sure where I have gone wrong, but after following the help file instructions everything looks ok but HS3 is telling me that the board is not connected. Keep in mind this is my first attempt to get a board connected to your plugin.

I have Arduino IDE version 1.6.8 loaded.
        The plugin managements page shows: Available Sketch Version = 1.0.0.127, API Version = API1.0.0.118

I have an Arduino UNO R3 connected to COM5. The IDE compiled the sketch and download without any errors.

I have attached the sketch and a snapshot of the plugin config page. The sketch is just as I downloaded it, I did not edit it as I didn't see anywhere that it said that I needed to.
        Attached Files

Comment

There is nothing wrong in the Sketch and the setup looks correct. What pins have you got in the setup section?

If you can not get it to work then enable the debug log checkbox then try and connect the board. Then disable Debug log and click on the download link and send me the file to look at.

Greig.
          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
          X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
          Scripts =
          Various

Comment

I don't have any pins in the setup section yet. Do I need to assign pins to make it connect? At this point I was just concerned that the button on the config page was saying "disconnected". I will do the debug thing later tonight when I get home from work and send you the results

Thanks

Comment

I don't have any pins in the setup section yet. Do I need to assign pins to make it connect? At this point I was just concerned that the button on the config page was saying "disconnected". I will do the debug thing later tonight when I get home from work and send you the results

Thanks
              I would not think you would need to have a pin setup but I must say i have never tried to connect a board with no pins. There is nothing in the code to stop this but it might be a but!

Greig.
              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
              Scripts =
              Various

Comment

I turned on debugging and pressed the connect button. The debug for that is called ArduinoDebug.txt

Then I added pin 12 as an output and pressed the connect button. The debug for that process is ArduinoDebug-1.txt

Still cannot seem to connect
                Attached Files

Comment

It works!

After gathering the debug log and sending them I decided to try uninstalling everything and starting from scratch.

I uninstalled the Arduino ide, deleted all the library and sketch folders, and removed the plugin from hs.

While installing the ide, I noticed a pop up that said there were updates to some of my library and board files. I don't remember updating during the first install. Then I installed the plugin, went thru all the steps to get the sketch and library for the plugin configure page, Downloaded the sketch and when I pressed the connect button it connected. So I added several input and output pins and sure enough they work too.

I would be interested I finding out what the debug log tells you. Thanks for your help. Now it's on to trying the API mode. I really need to be able to pass data from the Arduino to homeseer for storage in a db and plotting the trend of the data. This is all part of my remote water meter reading project using LoRa 915MHz

Thanks again

Comment

It works!

This is all part of my remote water meter reading project using LoRa 915MHz

Thanks again
                    I got my Arduino today and start playing with it. Try to read from previous posts and get some ideas or instructions for a first time user :-) I read that you are trying to read a water meter, did you successful read it?

Thanks,
                    Aldo

Comment

So new to this, I have a question regarding to development and deployment.

Do I need to run the IDE on my HS system? My goal was to develop on my laptop and then deploy the project to my HS server for it to run/manage.
                      Am I off with this? Is there any special setup required?

So new at this, that I have that new car smell

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes you can run the IDE on your laptop to upload the sketch to the boards then connect them to HS.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                        Scripts =
                        Various

Comment

Working...
                        X