This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,
    I'm sure someone could take over the code and re-write the plugin to work with HS2.0. Right Tink?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Well...

Yes, if you took my comments at face value the closed beta 2nd round would be underway, but we know better than to make that mistake. ;-) The relatively major bug with event triggers took a little longer to fix because of other things we had already started, but it looks good for the 2nd round of closed beta to be tomorrow, which would put public beta about a week after that if all goes well.

re: Slink-e ... please don't shoot the messenger. We posted a message somewhere about the Slink-e no longer being made, and I *think* (but not sure) we even mentioned it would not be supported in 2.0. The problem is that the Slink-e is one of 3 now defunct IR interfaces that were supported directly within HomeSeer. In 2.0, we do not want to have IR interfaces directly in HomeSeer much less interfaces that are gone or recently discontinued (e.g. one foot out the door). We want the interfaces to be plug-ins to keep HomeSeer as efficient/fast/clean as possible.

The issue with turning out the code for somebody to write a plug-in for it is that it is HomeSeer internal code, so it is not necessarily put into procedures matching that of a plug-in. However, if somebody wants to write the plug-in, we would be happy to cut out the code from HS 1.7 and help them get started.

We never WANT to discontinue supporting a product, and if we had a plug-in for the Slink-e we would have supported it as long as possible, but alas we did not so we had to make this tough decision. Rich was also disappointed as it was/is one IR interface that always seems to kick butt.

E-mail me if you are going to write a plug-in.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick, besides the Slink-e, can you tell us what else on this list is no longer going to be supported with HS 2.0

The Pod

Comment

Slink-e replacement

I have been trying to help a new home builder get started with HS and have been looking for an Slink-e replacement, without luck. Do you have any idea of what multi-zone IR unit will work with HS2?

I certainly would be willing to pay for an Slink-e plug-in.

bt

Comment

what about the USB-UIRT?
            HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
            (aka xplosiv)
            Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm
              I have been trying to help a new home builder get started with HS and have been looking for an Slink-e replacement, without luck. Do you have any idea of what multi-zone IR unit will work with HS2?

I certainly would be willing to pay for an Slink-e plug-in.

bt

What about the Ocelot. Not only does it do IR but a host of other functions.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Electron
                what about the USB-UIRT?
                I don't believe it is mulit-zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                  What about the Ocelot. Not only does it do IR but a host of other functions.
                  Possible - I'm just bummed. The Slink-e has been a perfect IR solution for me. I must have 50 or more IR events and they are flawless.

bt

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm
                    I don't believe it is mulit-zone.
                    USB-UIRT has 3 zones. Built-in blaster is one. 1/8" stereo jack in back for other two. The target zone information is put into the individual stored codes.

Comment

I use 6 of my IR zones on the Slink-e (must be independant) and also use the Slink interface to directly control my Sony ES receiver (I can do descrete genre functions with Skink that can't be done with IR). So for me right now there is no choice but to use Slink-e.

I grow tired of this never ending shrinking functions/obsoleting plugins for HS2.0. One would think that when you pay for an upgrade that it has 'more' not 'less' functions included. Oh well...its your company so run it as you seem fit. Some of us just won't be upgrading anytime soon.

John
                      John

Comment

I haven't tried it, but I was looking at the global cache unit(s)/plugin as a (pricey) replacement for the Slink-e. Can support multiple zones and can support multiple units via LAN connection vs the serial port on the HS box. Just don't know how reliable it is compared to the Slink-e I have now.

The Pod

Comment

Let's take this to the Slink-e forum

Originally posted by jwilson56
                          I grow tired of this never ending shrinking functions/obsoleting plugins for HS2.0. One would think that when you pay for an upgrade that it has 'more' not 'less' functions included. Oh well...its your company so run it as you seem fit. Some of us just won't be upgrading anytime soon.

John
                          I can appreciate the thinking as expressed by Rick. I'd like to find a way to take him up on the offer to get someone started on a plug-in. I've been in management for 20 years now and my coding skills have rusted and broken or I'd give it a shot.

bt

Comment

MPodlin - these are the only ones that I can think of:
                            "SmartLinc PCIR model 1195"
                            "Concept UK PCRemote"
                            "Nirvis Slink-e"

JWilson56 - WE did not discontinue manufacturing the Slink-e. Out of the above three devices, only the Slink-e got some serious consideration from Rich toward writing the plug-in for it himself. It is a good interface, but it is discontinued, so support for it has to go away at some point. Although earlier than we would have liked to stop supporting it, HS 2.0 presented the opportunity and it made sense for us. I understand the consideration to not upgrade to 2.0 when it means your IR not working, but the analysis that we have less in 2.0 is pretty much baseless if you look at the information available on the 2.0 features.

lhfarm - Somebody has already expressed an interest in writing the plug-in and has started the process to execute the NDA so we can give him the source code from the old HomeSeer support of the Slink-e. Email me directly and I can put you in touch with that person if you are interested in collaborating on it.
                            Regards,

Comment

Some of us just won't be upgrading anytime soon.
                              Heck I am hoping that I can upgrade some day as I would love to try and get my Way2Call Hiphone to work. I gave up on it months ago and have been eagerly awaiting HS2. Then I waited and waited and waited so I have learned to just ignore Home Automation for a while and go back to life.
                              I figure on getting serious again well after tax season when somebody/anybody starts putting out some zwave motion detectors, zwave switches don't implode when a light bulb goes out, HS2 is finally available GA, I have the desire to screw with the Hiphone again (and take the wife abuse), and I have recovered from the aggravation of kitchen/family room remodeling.
                              But I do miss my emailed phone messages, my VR, my TTS over the PA, etc., etc. It was kinda like killing HAL.....

Comment

Seems extreme to stop doing home automation because you had issues with HomeSeer Phone. Also seems to be systems related as myself (and hundreds of others) use HSPhone with the Hi-Phone every day without issues. Perhaps certain things you were using with it I was/am not. I get notifications of voicemail messages via email - text notification to my cell phone and email with the message attached in personal email account - works fine. Anyway, we'll hope that SOMETHING in HS 2 resolves this for you.

Z-Wave motion/temp/light sensors are designed and ready to go, but waiting for a company to order a large quantity so they can be built (at least with the one being manufactured near us) - you already mentioned tax day with some other brands.

The switches that don't go "poof" are out - check out our Intermatic products. ACT says their products no longer have that issue either.
                                Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X