This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech Harmony & Insteon?

I have an established Insteon network setup with HS3 + USB PLM & Mark plugin, everything works fine.

recently i added a Logitech Harmony Elite to the system. I'd like to do some simple light controls with it. such as TV ON, then lights 1 & 2 dim to 50%

Since there's no HS3 > Logitech plugin, but Logitech supports Insteon hub, should I get a Insteon 2245-222 Hub and replace my USB PLM?

if the triggers are made by Logitech to Insteon Hub, will HS3 see the status change of those devices?

for exmaple , logitech -> Insteon hub --?? > will HS3 see and update the changes?

In this scenario, you will need to register the devices via the smarthome app, and homeseer. This will allow the Logitech to see the devices you want to control and it will allow homeseer/plugin to update the status when a device is controlled via the hub.

you may need to enable the ProcessACKs ini setting as well to get this to work. see the following thread/doc for details:
    https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154291

In general the plugin doesn't read anything written to the hub by the smarthome app or other external devices. so you must maintain a hub in the plugin as well.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Have you looked at Rien's PI?

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1256

We use it to control our televisions and then z-wave to control devices.
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
        Have you looked at Rien's PI?

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1256

We use it to control our televisions and then z-wave to control devices.
        The problem with this PI is that it doesn't update the changes made by the Logitech remote right away.

I tried it and created events, IF Hub activities changes and become X, then dim lights...etc.
        If this activity comes from the Logitech remote, nothing happens until a few minutes later. because the PI doesn't pool the status fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          In this scenario, you will need to register the devices via the smarthome app, and homeseer. This will allow the Logitech to see the devices you want to control and it will allow homeseer/plugin to update the status when a device is controlled via the hub.

you may need to enable the ProcessACKs ini setting as well to get this to work. see the following thread/doc for details:
          https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154291

In general the plugin doesn't read anything written to the hub by the smarthome app or other external devices. so you must maintain a hub in the plugin as well.

I'll give the hub a try. So i'll have to replace the PLM in HS3 with the hub, will the existing device links be maintained?

If a device status change is initiated by Logitech > Hub > Device, will HS3 see such change? (if ProcessACKs is enabled)

Comment

Originally posted by mike2016 View Post
            I'll give the hub a try. So i'll have to replace the PLM in HS3 with the hub, will the existing device links be maintained?

If a device status change is initiated by Logitech > Hub > Device, will HS3 see such change? (if ProcessACKs is enabled)
            it should work. other have similar setups. you can try the Logitech -> hub combo without swapping the plm out for the hub at first. add ProcessACKs setting and test
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
              it should work. other have similar setups. you can try the Logitech -> hub combo without swapping the plm out for the hub at first. add ProcessACKs setting and test
              Added the hub, kept existing PLM setup with HS3. Works fine with Logitech, but changes are not seen by HS3, even with ProcessACKs added.

Should I replace PLM with the Hub?

Comment

I may be off topic however in the past I was able to connect my Harmony Elite to my home automation system through using a FLIRC that was attached to a Raspberry PI. The FLIRC was programmed to accept a IR windows keyboard command (that Logitech can produce as a device) such as the number 1 and pass that to a RaspberryPI as F1. The RaspberryPI was setup to boot into console. I then used Readline (inputrc) to map that F1 to a shell script command that did a curl to the JSON API of the Home Automation system. This was back in the day of me using Domoticz, however the same applies to HomeSeer.

If I were to do it again - which this conversation has me wanting to pick that back up - I would use a virtual device and create an event to run with two different paths - day time vs night time (based on hours of the day). The day time could do some lighting where as the nighttime could be different.

To attach it to a harmony activity you would include this "Windows" keyboard device in the activity and send that "1" in the startup sequence.

However, the real reason why I did this was so I could reprogram the play / pause buttons on the harmony to change the lighting depending on if I pressed pause (Brighten Room) or play (Darken Room). Harmony Home's built in home lighting control (be whatever system you are using) can't be embedded in a activity as a button like play and pause can. Using a FLIRC and Readline fixed this. Also, because I didn't want this to happen all the time I created a variable in the home automation system that I was able to change the value of (the same way I passed that "1" from the harmony using the JSON api) that was called "Theater Mode". If Theater mode was on then the light changes kicked in. If Theater mode was off then the event was ignored.

With all of that complexity it was surprisingly fast...

I have no idea if that was helpful.
                Last edited by Theron; June 3, 2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike2016 View Post
                  Added the hub, kept existing PLM setup with HS3. Works fine with Logitech, but changes are not seen by HS3, even with ProcessACKs added.

Should I replace PLM with the Hub?
                  yes, go ahead and swap the plm out and replace with hub. you shouldn't need processacks with this setup (test without first, and then with)
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                  X