This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    Yes, i am setting up device 98 with a custom table as well.

i need to add an enable/disable checkbox so the custom words/icons can be disabled. This leads me to another problem...i guess i need to save the custom values to the ini file or they will be lost when the checkbox is disabled. For example, if the user wishes to reenable the option later, the previous values would still be avail otherwise the user would have to reenter the custom values.
    The enable/disable check box with ini storage of custom words would be a real time saver and really add to plug-in versatility.

Mark I have to say it again; this plug-in is definitely exceeding my expectations. Keep up the great work and support.
    Cheers
    Jim

Comment

Need feedback on stopping/starting the VA plugin

All,

In the current plugin (1.0.3) you have the ability to stop and start the plugin via on/off btns on a device (ie device 99). This allows you to stop the plugin, open hyperterminal, look at the raw msgs, close hyperterminal, and restart the plugin with the On btn--all without shutting down HS.

One security measure i wanted in the plugin was to prevent the monitor from being turned off programatically (ie via script, etc). Thus it couldn't be accidently turned off. Basically you would have to manually click the Off btn to stop the plugin and then manually click the On btn to restart.

In version 1.0.3, i have come to realize that the plugin can be shutdown via a script (and leave the com port open) which will prevent the plugin from restarting when using the On btn or restarting HS.

I am proposing two changes to the next version:

1. fix the on/off feature to prevent scripts from shutting down the plugin
      2. automatically start the alarm monitor when HS starts up even if it was left off when hs was shutdown.

I would appreciate any feedback you have on the subject of starting/stopping the plugin either manually or programmatically.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

2. automatically start the alarm monitor when HS starts up even if it was left off when hs was shutdown.
        Could this be a user selectable check box on the Plugin Config screen?
        Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
          Could this be a user selectable check box on the Plugin Config screen?
          Yes, that is possible & easy. i did consider this initially, but then i started thinking, why would someone not want the plugin to fully startup when hs restarts.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I was thinking about the case (rare).. when you are trying to debug your system.. you sometimes start by disabling all plugins.. and re-enable them one at a time until the problem re-appears.....

I know that disabling the monitor doesn't disable the plugin.... so this might not be a valid issue.. but the more options when "Debugging" the better.

You're probably correct in that it won't happen hardly at all... but knowing my luck.. .. well let's just say that if it is easy to implement.. it might save some problems later on..
            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

I was thinking about the case (rare).. when you are trying to debug your system.. you sometimes start by disabling all plugins.. and re-enable them one at a time until the problem re-appears.....

I know that disabling the monitor doesn't disable the plugin.... so this might not be a valid issue.. but the more options when "Debugging" the better.

You're probably correct in that it won't happen hardly at all... but knowing my luck.. .. well let's just say that if it is easy to implement.. it might save some problems later on..
              any thoughts are being able to stop/start the monitor via a script...#1 on my earlier post
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

any thoughts are being able to stop/start the monitor via a script...#1 on my earlier post
                Not much... i can see security reasons to not allow it to be stopped/started from a script.

And i can't think of any reasons when i'd like to/need to start/stop from a script..

In either case.. would you still be able to create an event to turn device on/off? of would that be disabled as well?

My opinion..
                Go ahead and disable start stop from anywhere but the status screen. (or .. an event if that is a separate issue)
                But i'm probably not the best person to ask an opinion on this matter.

Thanks for asking for feedback..

I love the plugin.
                Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

In either case.. would you still be able to create an event to turn device on/off? of would that be disabled as well?
                  if you are referring to turning device 99 on/off from an event, then yes this would be disabled as well (events are really just special scripts). if i got this wrong, then i need more info about your above question.

Thanks for your support!
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

if you are referring to turning device 99 on/off from an event, then yes this would be disabled as well (events are really just special scripts). if i got this wrong, then i need more info about your above question.

We are on the same page.. That is what i was talking about..
                    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

I am proposing two changes to the next version:

1. fix the on/off feature to prevent scripts from shutting down the plug-in

Mark I agree that scripts should not be able to start/stop the plug-in

2. automatically start the alarm monitor when HS starts up even if it was left off when HS was shutdown.

This feature I think should not be incorporated. If I turn off the alarm monitor it should stay off until I turn it back on. Manual from stat screen as you have discussed works for me. My thought is if I turned it off there must be a reason. i.e. troubleshooting HS.

I would appreciate any feedback you have on the subject of starting/stopping the plugin either manually or programmatically.
                      Here are my thoughts.
                      Cheers
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jkarney View Post
                        Here are my thoughts.
                        Cheers
                        Jim
                        jim, thanks for chiming in.

i think we have a consesus on #1.

For #2, i am going to make a Settings option (per ArbWare's idea) so you can have it auto start or not--your choice. So, if you set the auto start to Off, and restart hs, the monitor will only start if it was On when hs was shutdown. Conversely, if the monitor was off, and you restart hs, it will stay off.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

jim, thanks for chiming in.

i think we have a consesus on #1.

For #2, i am going to make a Settings option (per ArbWare's idea) so you can have it auto start or not--your choice. So, if you set the auto start to Off, and restart hs, the monitor will only start if it was On when hs was shutdown. Conversely, if the monitor was off, and you restart hs, it will stay off.
                          Mark,
                          I really like this option; we can have it both ways....awesome. This will add the most plug-in versatility.

Hey by the way I think I have been running your plug-in for a little over 7 weeks. This plug-in has been really solid from the get go. You make it really hard to find any bugs in the plug.

Great work Mark. My hats off to you.

Jim

Comment

what's coming in v1.1.0 of the Vista Alarm plug-in

In addition to the features we previously discussed, i have added a new Action (called Send Command) to allow you to send custom sequences to the alarm.

I was also thinking of adding a Test action so you could schedule (via hs) a periodic test of the alarm/sounder

Have you guys come up with anything else you want, i am pretty close to releasing this next version.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

In addition to the features we previously discussed, i have added a new Action (called Send Command) to allow you to send custom sequences to the alarm.

I was also thinking of adding a Test action so you could schedule (via hs) a periodic test of the alarm/sounder

Have you guys come up with anything else you want, i am pretty close to releasing this next version.
                              Hi Mark, could we add the standard fire, police and medical buttons where we would simply need to enter the required code sequence?

and an easy way to add custom buttons like night mode and panic button I have. See my other post under the custom button thread. I had a question.

I love the test button, great idea!

Comment

The Test action would be pretty cool. At this time I can't think of anything else to add. I'm sure as time goes by something will up .

Also I have done some more plug-in testing and no bugs or other concerns that have not been addressed already have come up. This plug just chugs along flawlessly.

I'm hoping to see more users come on-line with the AD2USB and the Ademco Vista security Plug-in. More plug-in ideas and feature request will surely come with a larger user group.
                                cheers
                                Jim
                                Last edited by jkarney; July 24, 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X