HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill Approved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shill View Post
    So there are two camps here: users with devices that are generically named, which results in meaningless devices in Alexa, or users with a simple setup that use device names differently and are happy with what shows in Alexa. I would argue that as users become more sophisticated they gravitate towards the former setup, and will be frustrated later.

Given that this is a great opportunity for exposure for HS, I understand you're leaning towards a better experience for new users with smaller setups, but I really can't imagine why it wouldn't be worth it to give us options!

If you really believe having something called "lights", with no other context is appropriate, then I guess I'll have to start implementing one of the workarounds, but I'm telling you I think that's a mistake.
    It's been a while since I last tilted at this windmill, but I now have a real issue. As I've mentioned previously in this thread, I use Location 1 and Location 2 for Category and Room, and for device name I actually just name the device.

My problem:

I built my son a loft in his bedroom (like a loft bed, but wall-to-wall with a reading area, built-ins, etc.), and installed some track lighting (his choice) underneath. These are controlled by HS, and are called "Lighting" "Andy's Room" "Loft Lights".

We also have an open game room upstairs we refer to as the loft. It has lights as well, which are "Lighting" "Loft" "Lights".

When I enable voice on both of these devices, I get duplicate entries in Alexa called "Loft Lights" (because the "Lighting" "Media Room" "Lights" device is also voice controlled, it can't just use "lights", which was the silly thing that got me involved in this crusade in the first place).

PLEASE reconsider letting us specify (via settings) how we want you to build our device names (default behavior = the minimal logic you have now, the new options are checkboxes for "always include location 1", "always include location 2"). This would have no effect on people who like it the way it is and wouldn't cause any regression issues, but would give the rest of us a little control so we can reliably remember/predict the format for devices. (Having to remember to sometimes add the room and sometimes not is maddening.)

Comment

Hey Guys, Having similar issue. Echo thinks I'm asking Siri something instead of Home Seer. If I break up the command "Alexa Tell Homeseer" and wait Alexa then usually identifies with Homeseer and asks if I have a command. Can't wait until I can just say Alexa, Turn on the lights.....

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorris6 View Post
        Hey Guys, Having similar issue. Echo thinks I'm asking Siri something instead of Home Seer. If I break up the command "Alexa Tell Homeseer" and wait Alexa then usually identifies with Homeseer and asks if I have a command. Can't wait until I can just say Alexa, Turn on the lights.....
        Why can't you just do this now? That's how I'm using it...

Comment

For people who have trouble with the attention phrase "Tell HomeSeer", an option is to set up your own skill.

I have posted instructions for this in this thread

This allows you to set your own personal attention phrase.

(my vote is to use the name Zoltar!)
          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I will be contacting Amazon regarding their 'upgrade' they have done that has caused this issue.
            Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Plane_Guy View Post
              Has anyone else notice their echo not recognizing the attention phrase? Starting this week (Tues bases on logs), I tell "Alexa tell homeseer to XXXXXXXXX" It's thinks I'm saying home theater, home siri, concierge!! If I stop after the attention phase it works. But that is a pain having to break the commands up into 2 parts.
              OMG. I though tit was just me getting lazy with my speech. LOL, but yes every other time lately it thinks I'm saying 'Home Theater" also.

The other thing I've noticed is I can't say "Alexa tell homeseer to turn on...." anymore.
              I have to say Alexa, Tell Homeseer to Set ... to ON"

I have never been able to get it to work with thermostats. What is the proper syntax for Mode (heat/cool/off) and temperature (setpoints??, heatingsetpoint1??, coolingsetpoint??)". Just thought I'd ask while I was here.

Thanks

Comment

I have sent a note to amazon support. I wish I could it to work once in a while. I can't even go into the setting and mark it that it understood me! Very frustrating. I have had to pull the remotes back out until I can get it resolved. Sgt., I will have to check your setup out if this isn't corrected soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane_Guy View Post
                  I have sent a note to amazon support. I wish I could it to work once in a while. I can't even go into the setting and mark it that it understood me! Very frustrating. I have had to pull the remotes back out until I can get it resolved. Sgt., I will have to check your setup out if this isn't corrected soon.
                  Same. the word "homeseer" is always parsed as "siri". Worked perfectly until last thursday and hasn't worked since. Coincidentally learned that if you ask the echo to die in fire it thanks you for the feedback

Comment

I have also experienced the same, very second or third try it will work. Playing around I found if I say "Alexa, <pause> tell HomeSeer to..." works most every time. I have giving up on using the "tell Homeseer to" command in favor of the IFTTT command of "trigger". My family will actually use the word trigger... I know it is yet another plugin to purchase and just that much more configuration but we can make it work 100% of the time.

I still wish I could use the "Alexa, run <event name>" without any thing else.

We do still use the "Alexa, turn <device> on/off".

Originally posted by gamsberry View Post
                    Same. the word "homeseer" is always parsed as "siri". Worked perfectly until last thursday and hasn't worked since. Coincidentally learned that if you ask the echo to die in fire it thanks you for the feedback

Comment

I'm still waiting on a response from Amazon for the emails (plural) I have sent them regarding this.

For on/off/dim devices, the API skill should still be okay, as that has no invocation word.

Also, commands that are not on/off/dim seem to work fairly consistently still.

For people with HS Touch, the app has the ability to send commands to HS3 without saying anything other than the command.

Just push the microphone button in HS Touch and say "Turn on the living room light" or something to that effect.

HS3 does the phrase parsing for HSTouch so it works the same as the standard Amazon skill. (It just doesn't sound like the Echo)
                      Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
                        I'm still waiting on a response from Amazon for the emails (plural) I have sent them regarding this.

For on/off/dim devices, the API skill should still be okay, as that has no invocation word.

Also, commands that are not on/off/dim seem to work fairly consistently still.

For people with HS Touch, the app has the ability to send commands to HS3 without saying anything other than the command.

Just push the microphone button in HS Touch and say "Turn on the living room light" or something to that effect.

HS3 does the phrase parsing for HSTouch so it works the same as the standard Amazon skill. (It just doesn't sound like the Echo)
                        Is it possible to have HS also check (after testing for "on/off/set" device syntax) the parsed text against event names and run them if they match without having to say "run the ... event"? It would be much more natural to say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to 'Close the Garage Doors'". Seems pretty straightforward from a programming standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post

Hmm. Just thinking aloud...I haven't looked but does HSTouch expose an intent for the microphone? If so then using Tasker and Autovoice you could set it up to be always on...or foward the intent to HSTouch using the same Autovoice Recognized prompt you (I) use for everything else.

Comment

We use "run the event" phrasing to allow recognizing that your specifically looking for the name of the event.

For running events without having to do that, you can specify the phrase to be recognized as a trigger..., it's one of the selections in the trigger droplist.
                            Wade

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
                              Hmm. Just thinking aloud...I haven't looked but does HSTouch expose an intent for the microphone? If so then using Tasker and Autovoice you could set it up to be always on...or foward the intent to HSTouch using the same Autovoice Recognized prompt you (I) use for everything else.
                              That's a question for Rich, who will be back from vacation on Monday.
                              Wade

Comment

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill Approved!

Lately I cannot get the Echo to operate any device in my HomeSeer system from a single phrase. It responds that it cannot find the device in my profile. I have to speak "Alexa tell HomeSeer" and wait for her dialogue and then give the device command. Any ideas on what has happened. This is a new bug. Frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by BeenHeavyinFlorida; June 1, 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X