Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa Skill not available for UK Amazon accounts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
    Adding a new language is not the main issue.

For those that want a skill in the UK right now, there is a thread on how to build your own skill and link it to our server that processes Echo requests.

The process should be no different for UK users as for users in the US.

P.S. When adding a new language to a skill, you can't use the same skill name or invocation. lol.
    I added a new language to my skill earlier and used the same name and invocation, haven't tested it yet as I'm not at home but it accepted all the changes and saved it ok.

Will have a look for that thread as I haven't seen that yet. I am more than happy to deploy it to my developer account. If it works I'll do a tutorial for people to follow until this gets sorted.

Thanks, Matt.

Comment

Would it be possible for you to send me or post on here the node.js code?

That way as a workaround people can just create a developer account, upload the code and set it up as a developer skill until something official is sorted out?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
        Adding a new language is not the main issue.

For those that want a skill in the UK right now, there is a thread on how to build your own skill and link it to our server that processes Echo requests.

The process should be no different for UK users as for users in the US.

P.S. When adding a new language to a skill, you can't use the same skill name or invocation. lol.
        Well then can you please tell us what the issue actually is and what the timescales are?

You mention wanting the skill "now" as if its some kind of unreasonable request - as others have said other skill providers have managed to sort this out ahead of UK release but you've either known it wouldn't be available and decided not to put that effort in or are now half-heartedley playing catch-up.

I bought the Echo to work with Homeseer - if you can't provide a reasonable estimate of timescales involved then I'll be sending it back.

I continue to be impressed with the level of service from Homeseer.

Comment

Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Wade,

What about "home seer" as the invocation word (i.e. add the space)?
            Nicolai L

Comment

If I could give you a time frame I would, but it is entirely dependent on Amazon.

These types of delay is why I built the third party process..., to allow users to access their HS3 systems via echo without needing the official skill.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help people who want to use the API (Smart home) skill.

As far as Amazon getting this resolved, I'll let you know as soon as I have an update.
              Wade

Comment

Wade,

What about "home seer" as the invocation word (i.e. add the space)?
                I used to use that in my testing, and I even suggested it when the original certification was ongoing, as the echo recognized it better than 'homeseer', but Amazon wanted 'homeseer' in order to certify and at that point we weren't going to argue about it if it was going to hold up the certification.

Then, a little while back, Amazon updated their code and broke our invocation name completely. (It lasted for nearly a week)

To fix it, they customized their code for the name 'homeseer' to make it so the echo hears the word correctly nearly all the time.

Unfortunately, now 'home seer' is heard as 'home siri', most of the time.
                Wade

Comment

I need the API skill as everything I use is event/script based.

If I have a problem with an Amazon order I can click a button and have someone call me instantly. I realise there will be a different level of support required in this instance but it seems strange that their response is this poor.

Comment

Hi Wade, Thanks for the updates. Please don't think we are a bunch of moaning gits over here in the UK. We are just all really excited to get our hands on this technology and it's so close but just out of reach. I have tried voice automation so many times before and it has never worked well. Sitting watching the TV and all of a sudden your lights start flashing because it misheard a TV advert etc lol.

Anyway, Here are a couple of screenshots from my demo skill, so no idea why for you it is complaining about invocation name etc.

As you can see, the settings are identical and it saved the settings fine.

Anyway, I have found your thread about creating your own skill, and I can see all the parsing is done on your web service end so there is no code needed .

I have created the skill in my developer account and linked my homeseer account to Alexa. I have tried to test it using the "Roger" app on my phone but it comes back saying my Amazon account isn't linked to my homeseer account. This could well be because of how the roger app works though so I will test it as soon as I get home.

If it works I will do a quick tutorial for everyone so people an do that for the time being. I think that should give you a bit of breathing room

Thanks again, Matt.

Comment

John Bezos can be emailed directly if an Amazon customer has an issue...(I'm just sayin'...)
                      Wade

Comment

As you can see, the settings are identical and it saved the settings fine.
                        That might work for yours, but it doesn't for ours.

It might be because it's already certified.., but I suspect it has something to do with the invocation name of 'homeseer', as it's a unique word. (technically, it's not a word)
                        Wade

Comment

Originally posted by NJS1964 View Post
                          I need the API skill as everything I use is event/script based.

If I have a problem with an Amazon order I can click a button and have someone call me instantly. I realise there will be a different level of support required in this instance but it seems strange that their response is this poor.
                          Are you sure you haven't got this backwards?

The API Skill is the once where the echo detects all your devices. and then you can say things like "Alexa, Turn off my lounge light".

The Custom interaction model skill allows you to say things like "Alexa, Tell homeseer to run the party time event" or "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn off the lounge ceiling light in 1 hour"

If it the second option you want then Wade is saying we can do that ourselves now. I will be testing in about 45 minutes!

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Croccy22 View Post
                            Are you sure you haven't got this backwards?

The API Skill is the once where the echo detects all your devices. and then you can say things like "Alexa, Turn off my lounge light".

The Custom interaction model skill allows you to say things like "Alexa, Tell homeseer to run the party time event" or "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn off the lounge ceiling light in 1 hour"

If it the second option you want then Wade is saying we can do that ourselves now. I will be testing in about 45 minutes!

Matt.
                            A ray of sunshine

I have events to cover all of my "simple" interactions like lights anyway so don't really need device interaction. The vast majority of my events are AV control via script which only require 3 virtual devices for volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by dean View Post
                              Bought 2 Amazon Echo's and and Dot which all arrived today .....
                              ...And no HS3 Alexa skill on the UK portal

What is the ETA on this guys?
                              The Alexa app is not available in the UK either, feels like Amazon have gone off slightly half cocked with this release
                              sigpic
                              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                                The Alexa app is not available in the UK either, feels like Amazon have gone off slightly half cocked with this release
                                ???

I've got it loaded on both IOS and Android here?
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X