Vera lite died thinking of HS3-PI-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera lite died thinking of HS3-PI-3

I'm thinking of get the HS3-PI-3 software and using it on a Raspberry Pi3.

Got some questions:

1. Do I need anything else for my Pi3 to be able to control my zwave devices (ie. SmartStick+) or is it should be able to control them without any other hardware needed?
    2. Can I take the software from a SmartStick+ and add it to my Pi3 (would be cheaper alternative)?
    3. Does the HS3-PI-3 work with EVL3+DSC or do I need to buy a plugin?

I'm new to all this but several years back was building projects using an Arduino so this sounds very interesting!

Yes, you would need some sort of Z-Wave interface. The smartstick + should be fine.

What do you mean by "software on the smratstick+"? It's a piece of hardware. There is a Z-Wave radio in the smartstick.

You would need to pick up one of the DSC plugins. There are three but I believe only 2 of then support the EVL.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks for the info!

So basically I'll need HS3-Pi3 software + the smartstick plus + the actual pi3 board. Isn't it cheaper to get the zee s2 at this point or there are benefits in having the pi3 setup?

Comment

The pi3 on its own has a limited software installed that allows for only 5 plugins. This may be enough for you depending on the size of your system currently. You can install the full version if HS on a Pi if you want. There are instructions around here on the forums on how to do it.

If it were me (as this is what I did) buy a low powered machine that runs windows and buy the standard version of the software. You will need to get the USB zwave stick as well or the znet but I think you'll be much happier.

Comment

Oh ok cool, I actually got several old PC's in the basement that i might be able to revive.

Btw the Zwave dongle has to be from homeseer or are there cheaper alternatives?

Plus with my Vera I had to manually go to each Zwave device in order to get it onto my Vera. How does homeseer connect them? Going to check around for info...

Comment

Originally posted by _ThaNerd_ View Post
            Oh ok cool, I actually got several old PC's in the basement that i might be able to revive.

Btw the Zwave dongle has to be from homeseer or are there cheaper alternatives?

Plus with my Vera I had to manually go to each Zwave device in order to get it onto my Vera. How does homeseer connect them? Going to check around for info...
            Any "new/modern" Z-Wave interface should work like a Z-Stick. You should visit each Z-Wave device and do a remove using the Vera to clear the old association. If you can't do that you can do a delete prior to adding each Z-Wave device to your HS3 installation.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
            X